College Football Canceling and the Draft

bullsrose

Liked Posts:
Let's assume there is no college football and both Mitch and Nick Foles are underwhelming.
The pressure and enticement to draft a QB will be high but would we really spend the first 1st round pick we have had in 3yrs on Trey Lance without another season under his belt? it certainly could be a stressful time for Pace

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It will be a complete cluster fuck. I think the Bears would draft a QB in the first. But teams may look very different depending on how much the NFL plays. And the cap situation. Everyone will be guessing to some extent.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Perfect year to tank for the perfect QB #TankForTrevor

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Bears aren’t gonna be bad enough to pick a QB in the top 5 and probably not in the top 10. We will have a pick somewhere between 15-20 and picking the best of what’s left, unless of course we honor the time old tradition of trading up for a mediocre QB.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Let's assume there is no college football and both Mitch and Nick Foles are underwhelming.
The pressure and enticement to draft a QB will be high but would we really spend the first 1st round pick we have had in 3yrs on Trey Lance without another season under his belt? it certainly could be a stressful time for Pace
we are not trading up to #1 and that is what's needed to get Lawrence.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Last edited:

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
If they don't play, the NFL draft is going to be crazy. Just look at home many players get drafted in the 1st round alone that is coming off of one stand out season. A lot of them only even started their last year before the draft.

Teams will be drafting players that did not even play at their school or very little. It will be on potential.

bullsrose

Liked Posts:
Fields could potentially be had in a trade up but it would cost a lot. I actually prefer him over Trevor and think he will be a Russell Wilson clone

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Sam Howell or bust in 2022

Menchifus

Liked Posts:
If CFB doesn't happen, the thing to do would be to trade out of the 1st round and collect a bunch of 2, 3, 4th rounders. The draft is already a crapshoot as it is. Now with no CFB, it's gonna be worse odds. So you take as many chances as you can get. This is the one draft you're gonna see alot of potential All-Pros in the later rounds.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
If they don't play, the NFL draft is going to be crazy. Just look at home many players get drafted in the 1st round alone that is coming off of one stand out season. A lot of them only even started their last year before the draft.

Teams will be drafting players that did not even play at their school or very little. It will be on potential.
Joe Burrow would have been a 6th rounder without his senior season lol.

If we get a spring college season though (which there is some chatter from the B1G), I would imagine they just push the draft back till summer.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Joe Burrow would have been a 6th rounder without his senior season lol.

If we get a spring college season though (which there is some chatter from the B1G), I would imagine they just push the draft back till summer.
I would be shocked beyond belief if they play a whole season in the spring. What is more likely (still doubtful) is that the Big 12, SEC and ACC start in September without any problems and cases go down which leads the Big Ten and PAC 12 to jump in and play November and December. Then they push back the bowls till January. Yes, that probably is overly optimistic but there is just no way they actually play in the spring and then again in the fall. To ask college players to play up to 25 games in essentially 7-8 months is malpractice. Even Urban Meyer who I hate said this. I guess I could MAYBE see some little 3 or 4 game conference tourney thing to try and drive revenue in the spring. But not a actual 10-12 game season.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Idk how anyone can tank if there are only a few games.

Idk how the draft order will be determined if there is a shortened season.

Would be very interesting.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I would be shocked beyond belief if they play a whole season in the spring. What is more likely (still doubtful) is that the Big 12, SEC and ACC start in September without any problems and cases go down which leads the Big Ten and PAC 12 to jump in and play November and December. Then they push back the bowls till January. Yes, that probably is overly optimistic but there is just no way they actually play in the spring and then again in the fall. To ask college players to play up to 25 games in essentially 7-8 months is malpractice. Even Urban Meyer who I hate said this. I guess I could MAYBE see some little 3 or 4 game conference tourney thing to try and drive revenue in the spring. But not a actual 10-12 game season.

In no circumstance do I see a conference just starting a season in November because the SEC/ACC/BIG12 are playing and doing fine.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Big Ten screwed the pooch cancelling fall sports. The shortsightedness is laughable. Kids are still going to some classes live, living in dorms, eating in dining halls, having parties. Anyone thinking that the athletes are safer in that unstructured setting is fooling themselves.

Two things that factored into The Big Ten's decision:

The Big Ten, in their hubris, counted on everyone following their lead like with the the conference only season.

They want deniability for sick kids. The fact that the student athletes are at more risk outside the team structure doesn't matter to them , what matters is that when they do get sick , they can't blame (aka sue) the athletic departments.

Now it looks like they are going to be left standing with no chair when the music stops.

flabear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Orlando Magic
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tampa Bay Lightning
  1. Alabama Crimson Tide
Drafting will be a crap shoot, very bad news