Colorado Advice

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Thinking of taking a quick vacation out there maybe in February for 4 days or so. Not sure where I want to go yet, but likely one of the ski areas within reasonable distance to Denver (Winter Park, Breckenridge etc). Probably will ski either one or two days depending on how well it goes the first day with my significant other. Ideally I'd like to be close to a town with a little bit of nightlife and other stuff to do than just ski (again, not sure how well the SO is going to like / take to it).

For you CO guys out there, any suggestions?

AuCN

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If you dont want to drive further than summit county, then Frisco or Silverthorne might not be bad places. They are not at the ski resorts but they will be cheaper and very short drives to Copper, Breckenridge, Keystone, Arapahoe Basin, or Loveland. They both have a night life of sorts. If you wanted to be at a resort at the actual ski area, I would go Keystone or Winter Park (I would lean towards Winter Park, just cuz I really like it there. But the Mary Jane side of the mountain is usually mogulled out. But I love their tree runs.) if you wanted a little cheaper. Winter Park is the only thing there though, unlike the Silverthorne area where you have options. Otherwise, Breck is pretty cool (sometimes) for nightlife. But it will be more expensive. I dont like Breck quite as much for snowboarding. It has a lot of flats. Not a problem on skis though. If you want to go higher end, go to Vail. The back bowls of Vail are amazing. Even when the place is sold out you still will run into very few people back there. Great terrain.

Edit: There are good deals on 4 packs at Winter Park right now too. Amazing deals on 6 packs at Copper, but I dont think you want to go that many times!

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is the SO a novice skier/boarder?

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
SO has never been. I have maybe 15-20 times in my life, ok on ski's...not so good on a board.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
If you dont want to drive further than summit county, then Frisco or Silverthorne might not be bad places. They are not at the ski resorts but they will be cheaper and very short drives to Copper, Breckenridge, Keystone, Arapahoe Basin, or Loveland. They both have a night life of sorts. If you wanted to be at a resort at the actual ski area, I would go Keystone or Winter Park (I would lean towards Winter Park, just cuz I really like it there. But the Mary Jane side of the mountain is usually mogulled out. But I love their tree runs.) if you wanted a little cheaper. Winter Park is the only thing there though, unlike the Silverthorne area where you have options. Otherwise, Breck is pretty cool (sometimes) for nightlife. But it will be more expensive. I dont like Breck quite as much for snowboarding. It has a lot of flats. Not a problem on skis though. If you want to go higher end, go to Vail. The back bowls of Vail are amazing. Even when the place is sold out you still will run into very few people back there. Great terrain.

Edit: There are good deals on 4 packs at Winter Park right now too. Amazing deals on 6 packs at Copper, but I dont think you want to go that many times!

Awesome, thanks. Kind of leaning towards WP at this point.

Edit> Also should note, I don't really want to fuck with a rental car if I can avoid it.

Last edited:

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Don't go to Grand Junction.... lol only place in Colorado I've ever been

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Given your experience level I would handicap my decision amenities > terrain.

Another question for you, is most of your skiing expeirience in Wisconsin? If so, every thing out west is going to be a huge improvement in regards to terrain and runs

AuCN

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Awesome, thanks. Kind of leaning towards WP at this point.

Edit> Also should note, I don't really want to fuck with a rental car if I can avoid it.

I like Winter Park. It has a good vibe and some nice bars and restaurants.

You can take the Amtrak there as well. But I dont think they stop at the pot shops! v-:

:cookiesmug: I could give you a ride for the right price. And I promise I most likely wont kill you. :cookiemonster:

Jk. I am travelling for work in Feb.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
If ya head to Denver hit me up and I will comp some drinks or maybe more!

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Given your experience level I would handicap my decision amenities > terrain.

Another question for you, is most of your skiing expeirience in Wisconsin? If so, every thing out west is going to be a huge improvement in regards to terrain and runs

Yep, mostly WI and UP...but I've been to CO once.

Last edited:

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I like Winter Park. It has a good vibe and some nice bars and restaurants.

You can take the Amtrak there as well. But I dont think they stop at the pot shops! v-:

:cookiesmug: I could give you a ride for the right price. And I promise I most likely wont kill you. :cookiemonster:

Jk. I am travelling for work in Feb.

Lol.

WP it is then. Once I crack the transportation / acquire something legally for the first time in my life situation, should be good to go :)

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Bumping a really old thread.

I never made this trip, but I'm thinking about going to CO in June for like a week (several other places on the potential list).

I was thinking of staying in Denver for a day or two, maybe LoDo? Then venturing out to Rocky Mountains NP for a few days and staying somewhere out there. Then ?? And back to Denver for my flight home.

Any advice CO peeps?

Cc: @DC @AuCN or any other people I'm forgetting live in CO...

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Thinking of taking a quick vacation out there maybe in February for 4 days or so. Not sure where I want to go yet, but likely one of the ski areas within reasonable distance to Denver (Winter Park, Breckenridge etc). Probably will ski either one or two days depending on how well it goes the first day with my significant other. Ideally I'd like to be close to a town with a little bit of nightlife and other stuff to do than just ski (again, not sure how well the SO is going to like / take to it).

For you CO guys out there, any suggestions?
Fargos Pizza in Colorado Springs………if you dare.
Pikes Peak
Estes Park- The Stanley Hotel and Rocky Mountain National Park
Mt. Evans just outside of Denver.
Duffy

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hit the first dispensary you see.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
basalt, carbondale, and glenwood springs are like more affordable options (obviously) than aspen but all pretty nice places to check out along highway 15 (if I remember right), about 3 hours west of denver if you take i-70. I liked Leadville also but though I was going to die driving a u-haul through independence and mintern passes

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bumping a really old thread.

I never made this trip, but I'm thinking about going to CO in June for like a week (several other places on the potential list).

I was thinking of staying in Denver for a day or two, maybe LoDo? Then venturing out to Rocky Mountains NP for a few days and staying somewhere out there. Then ?? And back to Denver for my flight home.

Any advice CO peeps?

Cc: @DC @AuCN or any other people I'm forgetting live in CO...
Just landed after a week fishing and playing in SC with the fam. Will hit this up shortly. And lol @Leomaz I can't believe Fargos survived Covid. Love the salad buffet/chuck wagon though.

*Don't go, Nvan.