Colorado Advice

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
basalt, carbondale, and glenwood springs are like more affordable options (obviously) than aspen but all pretty nice places to check out along highway 15 (if I remember right), about 3 hours west of denver if you take i-70. I liked Leadville also but though I was going to die driving a u-haul through independence and mintern passes

Those first three places have turned really bad with drugs. Hot as Hades that time of year as well. Speaking of Minturn, wife and I are buying property up there this week! Well, paying off the family member who owned it and making it official so they can retire. It will be ours when they die LOL.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Just landed after a week fishing and playing in SC with the fam. Will hit this up shortly. And lol @Leomaz I can't believe Fargos survived Covid. Love the salad buffet/chuck wagon though.

*Don't go, Nvan.
I just found out a few weeks ago about Fargo’s. We are actually planning a trip to get there. Hopefully it will be soon. The salad buffet is awesome. Pizza is/was decent the last time we were there. Not the best but certainly not the worst

Reactions: DC

AuCN

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bumping a really old thread.

I never made this trip, but I'm thinking about going to CO in June for like a week (several other places on the potential list).

I was thinking of staying in Denver for a day or two, maybe LoDo? Then venturing out to Rocky Mountains NP for a few days and staying somewhere out there. Then ?? And back to Denver for my flight home.

Any advice CO peeps?

Cc: @DC @AuCN or any other people I'm forgetting live in CO...
@DC can probably give you even better restaurant recommendations than me. (Or go to his restaurant!). But you could hit up the Buckhorn Exchange; first liquor license in Colorado, exotic meats. My wife used to work at Root Down and Linger. They are both awesome. But there are a ton of options.
Are you planning to go hiking at RMNP? Tons of hikes of varying difficulty to some beautiful lakes. I was just up in Estes for a WFR course and there were tons of deer and some elk already. Or are you fishing? Big Thompson and St. Vrain will guarantee fish.

AuCN

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Those first three places have turned really bad with drugs. Hot as Hades that time of year as well. Speaking of Minturn, wife and I are buying property up there this week! Well, paying off the family member who owned it and making it official so they can retire. It will be ours when they die LOL.
Wow! congrats. What a great place to have property! And it's just getting more scarce and expensive.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I once spent an entire month living out of a Mariott in Grand Junction, CO.

Only person I knew out there was the dude I was covering for whom jetted off to Vietnam the day after I met him.

I was 2 months into my career and worried if I spent too much on food, I'd lose my job.

0/10 - Would not visit again.

DC

Donator
Liked Posts:
You never offered that to me... :crying:

v-:
Dinner for you and the misses is still a standing offer. Make the reso, let me know and I'll make the appropriate notes. #seriously

DC

Donator
Liked Posts:
Wow! congrats. What a great place to have property! And it's just getting more scarce and expensive.
Hell yeah it is. It's a little over 3 acres and we can build on it! But, again, I'm talking 10+ years down the line. LOL. 3 water wells.

AuCN

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dinner for you and the misses is still a standing offer. Make the reso, let me know and I'll make the appropriate notes. #seriously
Appreciate it! It has been a tumultuous time recently for me. Things should settle out soon. We are definitely looking forward to it. But we also don't need special treatment. Just come say hi and let's bitch about the Bears for a minute!

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Best restaurant in Colorado is the Wendy's near the Mariott in Grand Junction.

Pretty sad, State, of affairs.

AuCN

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hell yeah it is. It's a little over 3 acres and we can build on it! But, again, I'm talking 10+ years down the line. LOL. 3 water wells.
Wait, what? 3 water wells?

I just got a well drilled at my cabin. So stoked to maybe have indoor plumbing this year. But its filling water jugs until then.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I've been considering a move to a new State, build a house on a 1-2 acre lot.

Colorado would be perfect.

If I didn't know people who lived there, that's the main problem with Illinois.

DC

Donator
Liked Posts:
Bumping a really old thread.

I never made this trip, but I'm thinking about going to CO in June for like a week (several other places on the potential list).

I was thinking of staying in Denver for a day or two, maybe LoDo? Then venturing out to Rocky Mountains NP for a few days and staying somewhere out there. Then ?? And back to Denver for my flight home.

Any advice CO peeps?

Cc: @DC @AuCN or any other people I'm forgetting live in CO...
Sounds like you want to stay near/in the city, which is fine I guess, city slicker.

Restaurants: Linger/Root down are great! I wouldn't waste my time at the Buckhorn. Imagine the "old 96er" from the Great Outdoors. It's got some nostalgia yeah, but I don't know, it's not quality. Maybe it used to be. Plus, my landlord owns that business and he's a motherfucking cocksuck so he can rot in hell!

If you want to catch a ballgame, you really should experience Coors Field. It's really an amazing place. I'd recommend 200 level seats. Superior access to the restrooms and the best food. Best sports bar IMO is the Blake Street Tavern. Amazing spot and amazing owner.

In the mood for some funky pasta? DIO MIO. Amazeballs.

Sams has good green chile and Elways (Steakhouse) has the best appetizer I've ever had. I haven't been in since before COVID, but the Lambchop Fondue is so good. No forks allowed. You grip the beautiful Colorado lamb seasoned and seared flawlessly and dunk it and roasted root veggies into a delicious light cheese fondue. It's crazy good.

If you'd like to really experience something different and don't mind driving a bit I always recommend the Great Sand Dunes. 17 miles outside Alamosa is the largest sand dune range in North America. What really makes it special is the time of year you go. Late May/Early June the run off from the Sangre De Cristro mountain range creates a little river that flows through the dunes that provides artic cold water to cool off in. And you'll need it. You can snowboard or ski down the dunes but bring a lot of water and sunscreen. Base is roughly 8,500 feet. On one side it's the Sahara desert, the other side is 14K foot tall peaks with snow still on them (usually). You can hike those mountains and see several waterfalls as well, including Zapata. As a sophmore in college I once received a most epic blow job behind that frozen waterfall. She was nasty AF and perfect.

I know you're a saltwater guy when it comes to fishing, but if you're so inclined and you really want to see some beautiful country, I gotta throw out Steamboat Lake state park. I take the fam there twice a summer b/c it's just so picturesque. It's truly the most beautiful place I've ever been. Spend a day trout fishing on Bridge island and you'll catch 20 inch + trout all morning. It's my favorite place. It's about 40 minutes outside of Steamboat springs which has a funky hot springs in town and some cool shopping/restaurants as well.

If you slum it to the southern suburbs, hit me up privately.

DC

Donator
Liked Posts:
Best restaurant in Colorado is the Wendy's near the Mariott in Grand Junction.

Pretty sad, State, of affairs.
Was there last summer. It's still the same bad place. Only go in the late summer/fall for Palisade Peaches. Taco Party does have some of the best tacos in our glorious state though.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The only bar in Colorado is at that Mariott near the Wendy's in Grand Junction.

The hostess serves as bartender, waitress, line cook, and shuttle driver, so buy your nth drink before she heads to the airport.

Food at the bar is underwhelming, but the drinks are strong.

2/10 - Would not visit again.

DC

Donator
Liked Posts:
I think you've actually booked a trip there already. I can sense it.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Was there last summer. It's still the same bad place. Only go in the late summer/fall for Palisade Peaches. Taco Party does have some of the best tacos in our glorious state though.

I'm just being obnoxiously myopic lol.

I legit was stuck in a regular Mariott hotel room for a full month (January).

I was not allowed a car except on some weekends, because the office was within walking distance of the hotel.

And my boss would ask me each week if I'd "done anything cool"?

I was sent there to babysit a server closet that was the only copy of the Production environment for the software product.

It was an old office of a whole company which built a product, got bought, and then the staff whittled down until there was just 1 guy by himself keeping watch over this office/server-closet.

So they needed at least 1 person there, or nearby so they could be physically inspected/rebooted if needed.

Another guy on my team asked if he could go on the trip with me so I wasn't alone the entire month and he could train me, and my boss said no.

Like 6 weeks into this job, fresh out of college, I end up sitting in this weird empty office, in a town where I knew no one, in the middle of Winter.

Literally nothing interesting happened on that trip.

Every single day was breakfast in the hotel lobby, walk to the office, walk somewhere to get dinner, walk back to the hotel, drink at bar and/or watch TV/movies in my room until bed time.

I became that guy at the bar because I was getting so desperate to not be sitting alone in an empty fucking room lol.

AuCN

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Restaurants: Linger/Root down are great! I wouldn't waste my time at the Buckhorn. Imagine the "old 96er" from the Great Outdoors. It's got some nostalgia yeah, but I don't know, it's not quality. Maybe it used to be. Plus, my landlord owns that business and he's a motherfucking cocksuck so he can rot in hell!
This is hilarious (the landlord thing) . Yeah, I haven't been to Buckhorn in almost 20 years. It was a novelty, but it wasn't that bad. But I wouldn't doubt that it changed over the years.
If you'd like to really experience something different and don't mind driving a bit I always recommend the Great Sand Dunes. 17 miles outside Alamosa is the largest sand dune range in North America. What really makes it special is the time of year you go. Late May/Early June the run off from the Sangre De Cristro mountain range creates a little river that flows through the dunes that provides artic cold water to cool off in. And you'll need it. You can snowboard or ski down the dunes but bring a lot of water and sunscreen. Base is roughly 8,500 feet. On one side it's the Sahara desert, the other side is 14K foot tall peaks with snow still on them (usually). You can hike those mountains and see several waterfalls as well, including Zapata. As a sophmore in college I once received a most epic blow job behind that frozen waterfall. She was nasty AF and perfect.
The sand dunes are bomb. I have some great sandboarding memories there.
Fun fact, if my memory serves correctly: there are many millions of ounces of gold in the dunes that eroded out of the San Juans. But it's a National Monument so no one can touch it.
I have always wanted to use a lightning tracker and find fulgerites there. But again, not legal.

Edit: those are the Sangre de Cristos behind my dog in my avatar

Last edited:

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Sounds like you want to stay near/in the city, which is fine I guess, city slicker.

If you want to catch a ballgame, you really should experience Coors Field. It's really an amazing place. I'd recommend 200 level seats. Superior access to the restrooms and the best food. Best sports bar IMO is the Blake Street Tavern. Amazing spot and amazing owner.

In the mood for some funky pasta? DIO MIO. Amazeballs.

Sams has good green chile and Elways (Steakhouse) has the best appetizer I've ever had. I haven't been in since before COVID, but the Lambchop Fondue is so good. No forks allowed. You grip the beautiful Colorado lamb seasoned and seared flawlessly and dunk it and roasted root veggies into a delicious light cheese fondue. It's crazy good.

I know you're a saltwater guy when it comes to fishing, but if you're so inclined and you really want to see some beautiful country, I gotta throw out Steamboat Lake state park. I take the fam there twice a summer b/c it's just so picturesque. It's truly the most beautiful place I've ever been. Spend a day trout fishing on Bridge island and you'll catch 20 inch + trout all morning. It's my favorite place. It's about 40 minutes outside of Steamboat springs which has a funky hot springs in town and some cool shopping/restaurants as well.

If you slum it to the southern suburbs, hit me up privately.
Thank you for all the suggestions! Time to start planning all this out again...

• Haha

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
@DC - Would Steamboat be a good place to stay for a few days? Close to Steamboat SP, and it looks pretty close to Rocky Mountains NP?