Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I've always been the type of person that likes to live relatively close to where I work. Right now, I actually live 5 minutes from work.

I work with some guys though that travel 1.5 hours to get here... like wtf? That's 3 hours commuting a day, 15 a week. Let's just say you don't take vacation and work all 52 weeks a year, that ends up being 43 days a year you spend in a car, train, or bus. I spend just under 2 days a year commuting.

What's your commute like?

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My commute is about an hour on the train and a 10-15 minute walk to my office downtown Chicago.

I don't love my commute, but it is necessary.

I have no desire to move downtown.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
My commute is about an hour on the train and a 10-15 minute walk to my office downtown Chicago.

Ditto

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
Couldn't imagine a regular commute over 35 mins; I just find it stressful and draining. I am not a particularly high energy individual, and I can't imagine 3 hours of commuting, a full day's work and then a rich life beyond that...or even just working out added to the mix.

My commute varies, either 11 mins or 24 mins, and even the 24 pisses me off sometimes.

If you're commuting 1.5 hours, are you paid really well? I guess if someone wanted to pay me 20-30k more for commuting, I could be tempted. Honestly, if I could get 4 days on 3 days off (not happening), I would definitely sacrifice the extra time and just work longer in those 4 days.

Reactions: BNB

Monster

Liked Posts:
10-15 minutes depending on my foot...

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Couldn't imagine a regular commute over 35 mins; I just find it stressful and draining. I am not a particularly high energy individual, and I can't imagine 3 hours of commuting, a full day's work and then a rich life beyond that...or even just working out added to the mix.

My commute varies, either 11 mins or 24 mins, and even the 24 pisses me off sometimes.

If you're commuting 1.5 hours, are you paid really well? I guess if someone wanted to pay me 20-30k more for commuting, I could be tempted. Honestly, if I could get 4 days on 3 days off (not happening), I would definitely sacrifice the extra time and just work longer in those 4 days.

Yeah I worked a job once where my commute was half hour, and while I dealt with it because it wasn't absolutely awful, I didn't like it either. Then they moved our department to a suburb about an hour away. I resigned about a month later after getting another job haha.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

That's brutal, especially in the winter.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I have a home start with a 1 minute to 50 minutes ride home on my time at the end of the day.
My lady drove over 60 miles one way in order to snag her first administration job though.

To work at a stationary job, I doubt I could do more than 35-45 minutes one way for more than a couple years. Personal time is too valuable.

Monster

Liked Posts:
Knew a guy who lived in Scottsdale and worked in LA... flew every Friday/Sunday.
Granted we are talking serious money... but after a few years he gave it up.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My commute is currently 20-25 minutes depending on weather. Used to drive, but started riding the bus because my company pays for it. Less miles on my car too. Made a world of difference honestly. I very rarely fill up with gas and I can read on the bus or just zone out if I'm tired. I don't think I could tolerate anything in the 45min-1hour range though.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
A buddy had a job in Nantucket, every day he was hoisted by bucket. Then the cable snapped, and he involuntarily crapped. The next week he got a better commute.

Houston

Liked Posts:
In construction so it changes. Right now it's 40, which is generally about the average.

Once though we were working at a house that was 10 mins away. Was great to be able to come home during lunch break.

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:
Unless there is something out of the ordinary happening on the roads I have a 45 min drive to work. That is about my max I will put up with. I like some windshield time to listen to sports radio at the end of the day.

My best commute was living in Hawaii from 2007-11. I registered my kayak with the Navy and would call habor control for “permission to cross” after that it was just a 10 min kayak paddle across the mouth of Pearl Harbor from my house to Hickam AFB. About 20-30 paddlers made that trek every day.

Monster

Liked Posts:
Unless there is something out of the ordinary happening on the roads I have a 45 min drive to work. That is about my max I will put up with. I like some windshield time to listen to sports radio at the end of the day.

My best commute was living in Hawaii from 2007-11. I registered my kayak with the Navy and would call habor control for “permission to cross” after that it was just a 10 min kayak paddle across the mouth of Pearl Harbor from my house to Hickam AFB. About 20-30 paddlers made that trek every day.

I knew a few that did that... I lived in Ewa Beach... and the H1 sucked.
At the time I worked with JPAC which was right off the water... had I been there longer I’d have done it.

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:

Jesus Christ i'm jealous.......

Globetrotter

Liked Posts:
I live 3 hours from my main shop. If I’m not traveling I drive down on Monday’s and back Thursday.