Concern for lack of picks

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
I love both picks, especially Fields. No reason to not celebrate. However I am getting concerned about the lack of draft picks. You need young, cheap talent to fill out a roster and to avoid cap hell which the Bears are currently in without a stellar roster. What do you think of Pace’s aggressive trade up strategy and general lack of draft picks compared to other teams?

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I love both picks, especially Fields. No reason to not celebrate. However I am getting concerned about the lack of draft picks. You need young, cheap talent to fill out a roster and to avoid cap hell which the Bears are currently in without a stellar roster. What do you think of Pace’s aggressive trade up strategy and general lack of draft picks compared to other teams?
I think that the 4 late round picks plus UDFAs is going to be very important because of the unique situation that is happening in 2021.

Because there was no combine and there are a ton of unknowns with prospects this year because there was little scouting done on the majority of players (including medicals), there is the possibility that there will be many more steals this year for teams who get lucky enough to get these players.

The Bears went quality so far in the draft. Now it is time to go with quantity for the rest of the draft, trading down in the 5th to get more picks this year (unless someone on their board is available with the 5th who is rated as a 4th round pick or better). This will increase their remaining 4 picks into 5 or 6 picks. They need to be aggressive with UDFAs, hoping to find one or two keepers with their 16 to 20 late round or UDFAs.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Love the draft picks so far and understand that losing the picks were a cost of business.
My biggest concern in this area would center around LT. If Pace isn’t able to take care of this position in free agency next year, he may have to dip into mortgaging a piece out of 2023 in next years draft. So be it.
A legit CB would be the next concern, but those seem to be a bit more available in FA or taken care of with a 2nd round pick.
So basically Pace will need to figure out LT and CB next year with only a 2nd rd pick. FA or mortgage 2023 I guess.
At least there is finally hope at QB.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Pace doesn’t have cap space to field a full draft class. Probably part of the reason they were so aggressive on trading up.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
It’s why our cap is so whack. Some are bad contract extensions. Some are we need too many free agents cause we don’t have enough picks. Only difference I see this time around the picks weren’t squandered to move up for meh.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
The goal of every NFL team is to find starters in round 1 and 2.

The Bears paid a price to increase the chances that the guys they drafted will start and thrive

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Yes and No. As others pointed out if we got two bonafide studs in FIELDS and JENKINS than it doesn't matter but I am a little annoyed that Pace doesn't seem to mind trading any draft pick for anyone.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yes and No. As others pointed out if we got two bonafide studs in FIELDS and JENKINS than it doesn't matter but I am a little annoyed that Pace doesn't seem to mind trading any draft pick for anyone.
This in general but hard to argue with it this year. He falls in love with guys but this time he got great value in the process.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bears will pick 6 players in this draft out of 7 rounds....

They nailed the two most vital rounds with huge need areas including a QB. I have no concern for lack of players this round.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes it's a problem. It seems no one learns. Everyone is happy because we got a shiny, new sports car, but when we wrap it around a light pole - we'll be walking to work.

Get ready for a slightly improved offense, and a massive decline on defense.

And it's not just because of this year. It's the aggregate since 2017.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
All the professional talent evaluators that have been on NFL Network radio have stated this is a trade up draft because of Covid and the lack of information. Teams apparently were having trouble filling out their boards for the later rounds. Pace drafted two absolutely blue chip prospects and I’ll take it and run.

Also, the Bears are in cap hell because of Covid which I believe did not factor into their cap plan in 2019.

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
The defense probably does need an overhaul soon. So more picks would have been nice. Idk though. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t extremely happy with the two guys they got. We’ll see. In some way it has to probably hurt them a little. If the two picks work though it won’t matter.

Luke

Liked Posts:
Yes it's a problem. It seems no one learns. Everyone is happy because we got a shiny, new sports car, but when we wrap it around a light pole - we'll be walking to work.

This has been Pace's MO, he never lets the draft come to him as he always trades picks away to get his guy.
When they don't pan out (not saying Fields or Jenkins won't), he ends up buying his roster which is not the way successful teams operate.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs

Why the massive decline on D? Tell us why you see a major regression. Please keep in mind, Goldman will be back too.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
All the professional talent evaluators that have been on NFL Network radio have stated this is a trade up draft because of Covid and the lack of information. Teams apparently were having trouble filling out their boards for the later rounds. Pace drafted two absolutely blue chip prospects and I’ll take it and run.

Also, the Bears are in cap hell because of Covid which I believe did not factor into their cap plan in 2019.
That’s a good point I never considered the covid angle.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why the massive decline on D? Tell us why you see a major regression. Please keep in mind, Goldman will be back too.
Have you been watching the games?

Which way do you think the pendulum is swinging with 30 year old stars?

dbldrew

Liked Posts:

lol no one learns? we had a great D and where did that get us? This is a QB driven league, if you dont have a good one it just doesnt matter. You need a QB and you need to protect him and give him weapons.. If this kid works out then our Superbowl window is the next 15 years..