Contract and Cap Management

Canth

Liked Posts:
I saw this article about contract and cap management and though it was an interesting read to pass along.

I know that I always felt Pace brought the New Orleans style of cap management with him and all the games they played with it due to the Brees contract. Assuming that Poles brings what he has learned in KC, the comment below from the article is on KC's contract model:
  • Kansas City: Recent contracts have used a hybrid model but with lower base salaries coupled with annual lump sum roster bonuses in subsequent years. This gives the organization flexibility to complete bonus conversions as needed to shift cap dollars to the future in exchange for short term cap relief. This is accounted for with a predicted rise in the league salary cap year over year.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Dont mention the Bears model, because we dont have one. We just trade our draft choices for mediocre players

Dick Jauron

2001 AP Coach of the Year
Donator
Liked Posts:
Important to look at Philadelphia as we got Ian Cunningham as AGM.

• Philadelphia: Howie Roseman uses some of the wildest contract clauses and structures. Salary advances, Other Amounts Treated as Signing Bonus (OATSB), team options, void years just to name a few. I’m just glad I don’t follow the Eagles as close as I do with the Texans.

Canth

Liked Posts:
Important to look at Philadelphia as we got Ian Cunningham as AGM.

• Philadelphia: Howie Roseman uses some of the wildest contract clauses and structures. Salary advances, Other Amounts Treated as Signing Bonus (OATSB), team options, void years just to name a few. I’m just glad I don’t follow the Eagles as close as I do with the Texans.
Good point, I forgot about that.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hopefully he adapts the bb model and lets free agents walk, (other teams overpay) recouping the draft picks and farming talent through the draft.

circusboy666

Liked Posts:
I was just going to say as I look at FA names it’s impossible to guess right now. There’s major moves to be done if they want to make cap space to actually land a legit FA.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
  • Kansas City: Recent contracts have used a hybrid model but with lower base salaries coupled with annual lump sum roster bonuses in subsequent years. This gives the organization flexibility to complete bonus conversions as needed to shift cap dollars to the future in exchange for short term cap relief. This is accounted for with a predicted rise in the league salary cap year over year.

Interesting concept that works if the push doesn't succeed the annual rise in the cap.

...sadly for Pace, Covid blew that to total shit with a reduction in cap. Total backfire.

Although he also overspent WAY too much on FAs, especially the old guys he had "conviction" for. Enough on Pace - just pointing out that little bit that applied. Hopefully Ryan 2.0 actually builds through the draft. Maybe even grabs a 3rd Rd comp pick for Allen Robinson leaving? ?‍♂️ ?

Bust

Liked Posts:
Dont mention the Bears model, because we dont have one. We just trade our draft choices for mediocre players

Pace went all in and got you 2018 and a failed Parkey miss kick. You see the importance of fieldgoal kickers this postseason, no?

Rams went all in on an even greater scale. They are one game from making it happen.

Last edited: