Contreras to St. Louis

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Leaves a massive hole to fill.
But hey, for the same price per year we got another #3/#4 rotation pitcher that we already have a plethora of at that spot.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Meh, Cubs fans are going to over react cause its the Cardinals.

I love Willy and his competitiveness. He still never made the complete strides of receiving the ball. The Cards pitchers are going from one of the best to ever do it to one of the worst in the league at it.

Jed is building his team and that meant changing of all guards.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Just have to see what comp pick the Cubs end up with.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Leaves a massive hole to fill.
But hey, for the same price per year we got another #3/#4 rotation pitcher that we already have a plethora of at that spot.
Injuries. This signing protects the rotation from them. You can’t go into a season with 5 starters you trust anymore, has to be more than 5

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Injuries. This signing protects the rotation from them. You can’t go into a season with 5 starters you trust anymore, has to be more than 5
Boy, is that ever a correct assessment. Just look at the size of the pitching staffs these days....14 sometimes even 15 pitchers. The starters don't go 6 or 7 much anymore, now it's 5 or 6 or even 4 sometimes. I also wouldn't be surprised to see the magical number of 100 pitches start getting knocked down to 80-90. Even with their load lessened by that much, there will be a ton of injuries to pitchers again.

That's one thing about the game I've never been able to understand. Back in the day, starters would go 7 or 8 innings with great regularity and a lot of these guys weren't excatly in prime condition.....a fairly large portion of them were smokers, hung over or just out of shape. Today....most of these kids are phyical specimens but they get hurt all the time.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Boy, is that ever a correct assessment. Just look at the size of the pitching staffs these days....14 sometimes even 15 pitchers. The starters don't go 6 or 7 much anymore, now it's 5 or 6 or even 4 sometimes. I also wouldn't be surprised to see the magical number of 100 pitches start getting knocked down to 80-90. Even with their load lessened by that much, there will be a ton of injuries to pitchers again.

That's one thing about the game I've never been able to understand. Back in the day, starters would go 7 or 8 innings with great regularity and a lot of these guys weren't excatly in prime condition.....a fairly large portion of them were smokers, hung over or just out of shape. Today....most of these kids are phyical specimens but they get hurt all the time.
I agree it’s perplexing. You’d think all these ripped/6 pack guys these days could handle pitching 150+ innings.

I do think there’s something to be said for guys becoming all muscle and then falling apart.

Hell, look at the guys that last till their 40, they are usually the overweight and chubby guys. Fat has more flexibility to it, I guess? Lol

czman

Liked Posts:
You can't pull fat. I am not sure why pitching has fundamentally changed. I have heard that it is guys go all out every pitch but I don't buy that.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
In my completely uneducated opinion, I think it has a lot to to with what players are made to get used to from season to season. Back in those days, pitchers just came up going that long an slowly getting their innings a year increased until they got into the 220-250 range of the 4 man rotation days.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Kind of wondering what the point of not trading him for a prospect was if they weren't going to re-sign him?