Coronavirus Projects?

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I have a tub that needs a new surround, I am thinking of going with tile though cause it isn't a rental. I get it in a rental you want it to look decent, but more importantly not leak water even with no maintenance. Although I have seen that some of the surrounds have gotten much nicer lately.

Certainly easier to install. I doubt my wife would go for it though.

I am gonna have to take a crack at doing tile... The tub and shower in the new place need some work and If I am going after it, I am not putting back in the hideous shit that is there now.

looks like they got half way through the shower project before giving up- it has 4 body jets on each side in addition to 2 shower heads, but several of the joints are not sweated properly and 1 of the heads are missing for a jet.
Luckily the inspector caught that before checking the water.
tub2.gif

As for the tub, the motors work but the access door is jammed up. my best bet is to rip it out and start over.
My first large tile project, so we shall see how it goes.

tub1.gif

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
I am gonna have to take a crack at doing tile... The tub and shower in the new place need some work and If I am going after it, I am not putting back in the hideous shit that is there now.

looks like they got half way through the shower project before giving up- it has 4 body jets on each side in addition to 2 shower heads, but several of the joints are not sweated properly and 1 of the heads are missing for a jet.
Luckily the inspector caught that before checking the water.
View attachment 5972

As for the tub, the motors work but the access door is jammed up. my best bet is to rip it out and start over.
My first large tile project, so we shall see how it goes.

View attachment 5973
Yes, I think I would rip that out and put back something nice and modern. were they using that tile in a recent remodel? I am not sure where you could even get tile that looked like that without a time machine.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Yes, I think I would rip that out and put back something nice and modern. were they using that tile in a recent remodel? I am not sure where you could even get tile that looked like that without a time machine.
The house was purchased in 97... and the dude never lived there.
The hardware in the tub and shower was never used but is corroded.
I imagine all the tile is at least 20 years old.

I spied some extra boxes of the tile in a garage, so the option to keep it the same is there... but I am gonna hide it from the lady and tell her I have no choice but to start from scratch!

The pictures dont even begin to show how ugly it is. It is very pink.
I seriously cannot imagine someone looking at that sample and saying "I gotta have me some of that!"

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Currently in the process of redoing a bathroom. I've demoed the walls, and putting in new insulation + cement board tomorrow. FiL and I redid my front porch last week, and we're working on the back deck next week, maybe the week after.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Definitely. No need for that much to mow unless you host a few football games or soccer.
imo would be too mow a baseball field on your land for your kids or grandkids to play at if they play little league, public parks are still blocking kids from practicing. It's what one of my buddies decided to do and it worked out fine and it's private just because of two tree lines.

As you can see there's no infield sand yet, the home plate foul ball cage was done in a day with four cemented posts, and foldable picnic tables are out of the the picture's view but everything is perfect. just a bunch of kids practicing.
SNHA5bG.jpg

Last edited:

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Found a leak in my roof yesterday afternoon. Was a small water stain on my ceiling so climbed up into my attic for the first time ever and tracked it to the vent stack. I'm assuming the flashing got fucked up during derecho. Isn't going to stop raining until Sunday so I currently have a make shift bucket set up on some 2x4s until I can get up there and figure out just wtf is going on. So i guess this is my new project

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Found a leak in my roof yesterday afternoon. Was a small water stain on my ceiling so climbed up into my attic for the first time ever and tracked it to the vent stack. I'm assuming the flashing got fucked up during derecho. Isn't going to stop raining until Sunday so I currently have a make shift bucket set up on some 2x4s until I can get up there and figure out just wtf is going on. So i guess this is my new project
The repair could be as simple as you going on your roof(if not too steep) and looking for a new crack/gap around the stack and gooping a polyurethane based caulk on it. Also sometimes the smallest opening can be responsible for a leak.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The repair could be as simple as you going on your roof(if not too steep) and looking for a new crack/gap around the stack and gooping a polyurethane based caulk on it. Also sometimes the smallest opening can be responsible for a leak.
That is what I am hoping for. The drip is very slow. It misted and rained off/on all night and I checked this morning and there was less than an inch in the bucket. I just can't do much while it is raining and it isn't suppose to dry up until Sunday so it's going to bug the hell out of me all weekend.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That is what I am hoping for. The drip is very slow. It misted and rained off/on all night and I checked this morning and there was less than an inch in the bucket. I just can't do much while it is raining and it isn't suppose to dry up until Sunday so it's going to bug the hell out of me all weekend.
At least you have it contained so no further water damage to the drywall.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Good luck on that.. i had a leak earlier this year by the vent stack for my hot water heater.
I used some roofing caulk and for good measure I went up the next day with a can of that spray on flex seal.
Roof is black so it looks good enough- just hit the whole area of the repair plus 6 inches all around. So far so good.

On the unsuccessful side of roof repair,, A buddy of mine is having a bitch of a time hunting a leak.
His house has an old addition with no real attic room to go in to...about 18 inches high.
The leak is coming from that area with no obvious culprits outside.
He has a ridge, a valley, and an old chimney and vent in the area- anynof which could be the problem.
For all he knows, the issue could be somewhere else and just showing up over the kitchen after running 15 feet from the source. He would have to pull the drywall down to see if the spot is the source or if it is pooling there and coming from elsewhere.

He said if he can't get it by Columbus day, he will pull the ceiling down and just redo everything.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Real life got in the way, but finally managed to squeeze in a few hour here and there and finished up my first ever shower remodel.
Tiling was not near as bad as I thought once I had the right tools.
Gutted all the plumbing, ripped out the green board and used cement board, waterproofed it and finally tile, fixtures, grout, and sealing...
Same set up on both sides.

I had to drop from 6 jets down to 4... they pop out with pressure and I didn't quite have enough to run all 6 jets and 2 showerheads at once and get the desired results.

eliminating the 2 jets was plenty.
Feels like an emergency decontamination booth in a biological research lab.

Gotta toss up some trim around the outside, grout the front face of the little lip up front and away I go!

20201220_184759.jpg20201220_184636.jpg

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Nice job on that.
Thank you- one of the worst parts of the job was the floor- I had never tiled before and was none too careful with the tile adhesive.
As a result, I had a bitch of a time scrubbing the excess out so I could grout.

I finally happened across a a stiff nylon brush wheel for a drill that sped things up.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The biggest bitch is demo lol

I actually enjoyed that part... the cleanup, not so much!
I picked up this little bad boy for less than 15 bucks and it made short work of the repulsive pink marble that was in there.

I love Harbor Freight for one-use tools.

92037_I.jpg

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Real life got in the way, but finally managed to squeeze in a few hour here and there and finished up my first ever shower remodel.
Tiling was not near as bad as I thought once I had the right tools.
Gutted all the plumbing, ripped out the green board and used cement board, waterproofed it and finally tile, fixtures, grout, and sealing...
Same set up on both sides.

I had to drop from 6 jets down to 4... they pop out with pressure and I didn't quite have enough to run all 6 jets and 2 showerheads at once and get the desired results.

eliminating the 2 jets was plenty.
Feels like an emergency decontamination booth in a biological research lab.

Gotta toss up some trim around the outside, grout the front face of the little lip up front and away I go!

View attachment 9105View attachment 9106

Is that an exterior door to the right??? Just in case you feel like air drying outside after a cool summer shower?

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Is that an exterior door to the right??? Just in case you feel like air drying outside after a cool summer shower?

It is- out on to the back deck.
My next project is an outdoor shower right off the deck I think.