Cost to trade up to pick 9, 10, or 11 to draft LT Rashawn Slater?

vanavyman

Liked Posts:
If the Bears are looking at 2nd round QBs Kyle Trask of Florida, Kellen Mond of Texas A&M, and Davis Mills of Stanford, what would it cost to move up to pick 9, 10, or 11 to draft LT Rashawn Slater? Next years #1? Get the starting LT for the next 10 years. He could solidify the OL this year helping with the run game and keeping a clean pocket for Dalton.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
No. 10: Denver → Pittsburgh (D). Denver traded a first-round selection (10th) to Pittsburgh in exchange for Pittsburgh's first- and second-round selections (20th and 52nd) as well as their third-round selection in 2020.[Trade 1]

Last time a team traded into the top ten, and it was tenth overall.

greg23

Liked Posts:
With the way this roster is getting assembled...sit at 20 (or drop to mid 20's) and take a tackle who drops or is there (Darrisaw, Jenkins, etc).....then look for cb/wr/qb in round 2

vanavyman

Liked Posts:
These are three OTs that could be available at pick 20:
Christian Darrisaw, OT, Virginia Tech, Alex Leatherwood, OT/G, Alabama, and Sam Cosmi, OT, Texas.
Is Rashawn Slater enough of a better prospect at LT to justify trading up vice taking one of the others? Which ones are ready to start on day one?

vanavyman

Liked Posts:
If all 5 QBs are gone by pick 9 does a trade up get cheaper?

Montucky

Liked Posts:
This more than any year you do not want to make any assumptions about where a player might go in the draft. It is entirely realistic that Rashawn Slater is available at twentieth overall.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I think it's awesome how the Bears can never build an OL because they're always in need of a QB.

mecha

Liked Posts:
I think it's awesome how the Bears can never build an OL because they're always in need of a QB.

that would imply they draft quarterbacks every year. which was a proclaimed strategy, that hasn't borne any fruit, because the team keeps blowing the usable draft picks on trades. they haven't even made attempts at David Fales/Matt Barkley project types. the only 1st round selections for OL that I can think of were Chris Williams, Gabe Carimi, and Kyle Long. rest have been like all 6th and 7th round to my knowledge.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Christian Darrisaw, OT, Virginia Tech, Alex Leatherwood, OT/G, Alabama, and Sam Cosmi, OT, Texas.
Is Rashawn Slater enough of a better prospect at LT to justify trading up vice taking one of the others? Which ones are ready to start on day one?

There's more than just those 3 (J.Mayfield, T.Jenkins) that will be there at #20. The hard part is getting the right ones cause we all know that every tackle that's taken in the 1st round won't work out at the NFL level. There's multiple busts every year in the 1st round.

There should be some good names at tackle in the 2nd round as well.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
that would imply they draft quarterbacks every year. which was a proclaimed strategy, that hasn't borne any fruit, because the team keeps blowing the usable draft picks on trades. they haven't even made attempts at David Fales/Matt Barkley project types. the only 1st round selections for OL that I can think of were Chris Williams, Gabe Carimi, and Kyle Long. rest have been like all 6th and 7th round to my knowledge.

True, they pretty much draft neither.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
It would be way better if they could find a way to trade for a veteran left tackle who has proven himself then focus more on right tackle in round two. Even if it winds up being way more expensive, it probably will yield better results.

Biscuit

Liked Posts:
Here’s an article from a couple years ago that makes a case against moving UP in the draft.

From the article:

“..... NFL personnel executives, according to the 538 article, overvalue the top 50 picks in the draft because they feel that the closer they are to #1, the better chance they have of hitting a home run.

They are right about the relationship — top draft picks perform better — but they misjudge the degree of difference and, thus, the value of those picks.......”

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Talk of Leatherwood moving inside

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
I personally don’t think slater translates to a nfl tackle, a guard however Yes. But no, there areA a handful of tackles that will be there at 20