Could Aaron Judge be in play for Cubs in offseason?

Sevendaymelee

Liked Posts:
His OPS was 1.006 that season. By comparison, only two players in the majors this year even have an OPS over that - Judge at 1.121 and Yordan Alvarez at 1.021. He had already won 3 MVPs, 8 gold gloves, 7 silver slugger by that time. Nobody had ever gotten more than 3 MVP awards, Bonds finished his career with 7.
I said he was a HOF. Just not the GOAT. The numbers I provided pre-2000 don't support it.

Also, if you want to bring in the dreaded OPS, Ruth, Williams and Gehrig's were higher... and that's including post-roid-Bonds. If you stop at 1999, Bonds would have been way down the list (although I couldn't give a rats behind about OPS).

So again, your argument just doesn't hold up.

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers
I said he was a HOF. Just not the GOAT. The numbers I provided pre-2000 don't support it.

Also, if you want to bring in the dreaded OPS, Ruth, Williams and Gehrig's were higher... and that's including post-roid-Bonds. If you stop at 1999, Bonds would have been way down the list (although I couldn't give a rats behind about OPS).

You said he was in "heavy decline" after the 1999 season and I showed that his "heavy decline" year would've been better than everyone but Judge and Alvarez this season.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

cherry picking much?! You pick 1999 because it was the one year he wasn’t an all star after being an all star the previous 7 seasons. So you of course come to the conclusion, oh, 1999 must be when he started juicing!!

Also, you may want to look back into those OPS numbers because you’re flat out wrong about that. Bonds and Ruth had the exact same career best OPS season, and bonds had 15 seasons with an OPS over 1.000, Ruth had just 14 such seasons.

factor in that bonds actually could steal bases and play defense, and yeah, you can make a case Bonds > Ruth pretty easily. Ted williams has the better case than Ruth IMO.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
Babe Ruth- 183 WAR
Barry Bonds- 163 WAR

Ruth is still the GOAT.

And I like Bonds and don’t think the steroid crap means anything.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Babe Ruth- 183 WAR
Barry Bonds- 163 WAR

Ruth is still the GOAT.

And I like Bonds and don’t think the steroid crap means anything.
Ruth has a higher WAR due to pitching.

They are tied for position player

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You gotta love the mopes bitching about cheating in baseball. Cheating in baseball goes back so far that no one here can say they saw the early cheaters. Are players not cheating today? Why do the umpires inspect the pitchers hands and arms between innings? There are some forms of cheating that they actually grade a players worth on....let's see, this catcher is more valuable because he's better at fooling the hapless HP umpires in the league. Obviously Framing is not illegal but certainly a form of cheating. It's a way of life in this sport....always has been. From scandals to greenies to spitballs to roids....it's always been there and probably always will.

The guys that piss me off are the dumbasses like Sosa where roids weren't enough and he had to cork his bat as well or Bonds....not dumb, real smart but an arrogant asshole and a compulsive liar.....a terrific player but couldn't get the press or money he wanted just being very good....needed the long ball. He got what he wanted.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
Ruth has a higher WAR due to pitching.

They are tied for position player
Doesn’t change that Ruth is the GOAT.

It’s like saying Otani is over rated on account of his pitching.

That said, I’ve actually seen Bonds play. I cannot say he isn’t the best player I’ve ever seen. He is.

I’m also not in the camp that steroids gave somebody some magical advantage. MLB has been dirty it’s entire existence and will always be dirty. If steroids have been around since the 1940’s of anybody thinks players wernt using them until the 90’s I gotta bridge to sell to them.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
cherry picking much?! You pick 1999 because it was the one year he wasn’t an all star after being an all star the previous 7 seasons. So you of course come to the conclusion, oh, 1999 must be when he started juicing!!

Also, you may want to look back into those OPS numbers because you’re flat out wrong about that. Bonds and Ruth had the exact same career best OPS season, and bonds had 15 seasons with an OPS over 1.000, Ruth had just 14 such seasons.

factor in that bonds actually could steal bases and play defense, and yeah, you can make a case Bonds > Ruth pretty easily. Ted williams has the better case than Ruth IMO.
Come-on. Comparing players from different generations in impossible especially when throwing illegal drugs into the comparison. Ruth was by far the best baseball player in history when compared the other players of his generation. No other player was close. I would make a case also for Ted Williams for being the second best hitter of all time considering the prime years he last while fighting in WWII and Korea for five years.

Castor76

Liked Posts:

That said, I’ve actually seen Bonds play. I cannot say he isn’t the best player I’ve ever seen. He is.

I’m also not in the camp that steroids gave somebody some magical advantage. MLB has been dirty it’s entire existence and will always be dirty. If steroids have been around since the 1940’s of anybody thinks players wernt using them until the 90’s I gotta bridge to sell to them.

I love the idea that no one is baseball was using steroids until they were banned, but not tested for, by baseball.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Im not saying anything. Im saying as position players they are tied. Ill take Bonds over Ruth though

KBIB

Liked Posts:
I love the idea that no one is baseball was using steroids until they were banned, but not tested for, by baseball.
Exactly

I find it comply deplorable that all the “old school” idiots tend to look the other way about certain eras yet throw the early 2000’s into the fire every time they can.

Bonds should have been a no questions asked first ballot guy. Same with Clemens.

I have a hard time taking the hall of fame seriously when Baines, Raines, Dawson, even Sandberg are hof but Bonds isn’t. A bunch of ill informed meat heads who have no clue what steroids are all about or jilted sports writers who players ignored when they wanted an interview.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Exactly

I find it comply deplorable that all the “old school” idiots tend to look the other way about certain eras yet throw the early 2000’s into the fire every time they can.

Bonds should have been a no questions asked first ballot guy. Same with Clemens.

I have a hard time taking the hall of fame seriously when Baines, Raines, Dawson, even Sandberg are hof but Bonds isn’t. A bunch of ill informed meat heads who have no clue what steroids are all about or jilted sports writers who players ignored when they wanted an interview.

The way I've always looked at the HoF is, how does a guy stack up versus the guys who played in his era. Go to guys whose careers started up to 4 years earlier or later than that guy and where does said guy rank among them?

Sandberg is my all time favorite player. I know some question him being in the Hall. But he's still top 20 all time in 2Bmen in hits, runs, HR, RBI, and SB. All in a 15 year career. Bonds and Clemens should be in the Hall. A lot of those guys belong but writers who want to be holy gatekeepers say otherwise.