Could OL be done now?

OliverTwistCone

Liked Posts:
Let's look at the numbers. Leno,Daniels,Whitehair, Ifedi,Massey=5+ Spriggs, Coward=7. I'm only on my first cup of coffee, and I'm lazy right now, so I dont remember who else there is. But with Castillo, (new techniques), and a couple of low-level starting caliber additions, could Pace really be done with early OL help?
I know it's a deep draft for OL, and I know everyone wants some road-grading, glass-eatin' sumbitch with one of our 2 Second Rounders. But if money is involved in the decision, our OL is set aside from RG, but Ifedi or Spriggs have a good chance at the spot.
The entire offense played like a bag of hammered assholes last year, but in 2018 the OL was fine.
The only things we haven't addressed this off season is MAKE MY THIGHS SIZZLE, SPEED.
We have gotten slower on Offense. Slow RB, WR, TE (Even Jimmy Graham doesn't believe he is still fast)...
There is going to be a lot of speed and playmakers at our first couple of picks. I hope we keep 43, and trade back from 50 for a third/fourth.
I'm just saying, dont be surprised if we go offensive playmakers with our first 2 selections and address the OL late.
Not saying I want this. Just saying be prepared just in case.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
It will come down to how the draft unfolds. Pace is filling holes so he can go BPA. I like the additions for the oline and think better coaching will solve our problems. I see a speed back/WR/TE in our future. Oline might not even get drafted if the guys they want are gone or not a good value.

OliverTwistCone

Liked Posts:
Agreed. I know OL isn't a sexy draft choice, but speed is. I'm almost like "screw it". Let's get crazy and draft a speed RB, 2 fast WR and a fast U TE.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Leno and Massie could possibly both be gone in 2021, they would save 13m if they were both cut, Leno carries 11m+ figure, a replacement needs to be drafted soon, spend that 13m on an actual good OT.... Spriggs/Ifedi/Coward were all busts last year, they shouldn't be counted on as guaranteed starters, if one of them turns out good it's a miracle. A lot of holes to fill with minimal picks.

OliverTwistCone

Liked Posts:
I know. And I'm aware of cap hits next year etc. But if Pace needs to win now, and Nagy says he needs speed to win with offense. Dont be surprised....

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
I know. And I'm aware of cap hits next year etc. But if Pace needs to win now, and Nagy says he needs speed to win with offense. Dont be surprised....
Noones going to be surprised.. There are a ton of playmakers in the draft and Pace would be an idiot to pass on someone like Reagor for the OT 6 or OG 3.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
God I hope not. Pace picked up a couple of misfits to help one of the worst Olines in the league.

Good teams are built from the ground up and it starts with Oline and Dline.
I agree. But is pace thinking long-term. He is on the hot seat if things go south.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Forgot about Alex Bars. But I never thought Pace was going to go crazy on the OL in the draft. (To be fair, I thought he would get a better free agent at RG). I just don't think he values the position enough to go after one super high unless it's a physical freak (like Josh Jones, who he met with). His only early OL picks have been Daniels, who was a first round talent that fell to the Bears spot in the 2nd. And Whitehair, who they traded down twice and ended up with.

Pace has traded up for nearly every position except OL and DL. I think he feels that once you get past the top athletes at line positions, then the 2nd-4th/5th round guys are really close in talent and ability.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
So why is WR # 10 better than OT 6 or OG 3? You win in the trenches, and speed is meaningless without time to throw the ball. Curtis Conway or Willie Roaf - we choose speed over beef. Build the line.
In this draft the WR 10 could still have a first round grade and the OT6 could be viewed as a 4th round grade.... good GMs don’t draft out of pure need.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Let's look at the numbers. Leno,Daniels,Whitehair, Ifedi,Massey=5+ Spriggs, Coward=7. I'm only on my first cup of coffee, and I'm lazy right now, so I dont remember who else there is. But with Castillo, (new techniques), and a couple of low-level starting caliber additions, could Pace really be done with early OL help?
I know it's a deep draft for OL, and I know everyone wants some road-grading, glass-eatin' sumbitch with one of our 2 Second Rounders. But if money is involved in the decision, our OL is set aside from RG, but Ifedi or Spriggs have a good chance at the spot.
The entire offense played like a bag of hammered assholes last year, but in 2018 the OL was fine.
The only things we haven't addressed this off season is MAKE MY THIGHS SIZZLE, SPEED.
We have gotten slower on Offense. Slow RB, WR, TE (Even Jimmy Graham doesn't believe he is still fast)...
There is going to be a lot of speed and playmakers at our first couple of picks. I hope we keep 43, and trade back from 50 for a third/fourth.
I'm just saying, dont be surprised if we go offensive playmakers with our first 2 selections and address the OL late.
Not saying I want this. Just saying be prepared just in case.

If we are done at OL, what makes you think we aren't done at WR?

We have just as much trash depth at WR. Guess we shouldn't take one in a historic WR draft class.

Listen, I have no way to know if we are done, but we god damn better not be done getting talent on the OL. If it's not one of our day 2 picks Pace has flopped hard as fuck.

In 2018 the OL was not fine, it was still bad, just not as bad as 2019.

msadows

Liked Posts:
In this draft the WR 10 could still have a first round grade and the OT6 could be viewed as a 4th round grade.... good GMs don’t draft out of pure need.

There are arguably more lineman in the top 64 than there are WR's.

This is just as loaded of a OL class as a WR class. You can find a potential starting LT in the 2nd round. That's usually unheard of.

The real reason why people don't want OL is because they havent had sports for a month plus and want a sexy pick to drool over.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
If we are done at OL, what makes you think we aren't done at WR?

We have just as much trash depth at WR. Guess we shouldn't take one in a historic WR draft class.

Listen, I have no way to know if we are done, but we god damn better not be done getting talent on the OL. If it's not one of our day 2 picks Pace has flopped hard as fuck.

In 2018 the OL was not fine, it was still bad, just not as bad as 2019.

As always Pace will draft BPA. If one of them is OL on day 2 then that's simply because of how the board has fallen.

Even if Pace drafts no OL there are still FA's available that can help and the Bears will have cap room for. (assuming OTC is correct in their numbers)

msadows

Liked Posts:
As always Pace will draft BPA. If one of them is OL on day 2 then that's simply because of how the board has fallen.

Even if Pace drafts no OL there are still FA's available that can help and the Bears will have cap room for. (assuming OTC is correct in their numbers)

Thats where I disagree.

We should absolutely draft OL, which would more than likely be one of the BPA. Pace doesn't really draft BPA. He usually drafts BPA at a position of need.

We had one of the worst run games in the NFL, and one of the lowest Time To Throws.

One thing every good team ever has had in common is line play. Its basic football. As already said here it starts from the trenches.

Normally I'd agree with you about BPA, but if you had a trash oline, your entire offense is trash. Drafting that sexy speed WR wont matter when foles and mitch have to get rid of the ball before 2.5 seconds and we're averaging less than 4 YPC again.

100% can not risk this offensive line being trash again this year. You can get by with mediocre WR's, thats been proven in the past. Very rare you can get by with mediocre linemen. That right side(RG/RT) is probably the worst in the nfl, and it shows up on tape a lot.

msadows

Liked Posts:
If Pace and Nagy think the OL is good now, the 2020-2021 forecast for this offense is bleak, no matter who the QB is.

Nick foles and Mitch both hurt by week 8.

Our run game averages 3.5 YPC.

#SuperbowlBaby

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Coward did not improve enough to guarantee a roster spot from last year, and as a project player, he has to earn the last roster spot reserved for OL. It stinks to admit, because Coward is a fan favorite who works his ass off to make the team, but without a big step forward, he could lose to a standout camp invite who has played RG since highschool.

I want to draft an OLman in the second or fourth round still who fits the RT/OG mold, so that he can be a primary backup immediately, and can push to start over someone who underperforms. We need to be in the habit of spending a decent draft pick on OL every year.