Could the Chicago Cubs Non-Tender Darwin Barney?

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
One question the Chicago Cubs have to ask themselves, is second baseman Darwin Barney worth a 1-year contract to avoid arbitration or should he be non tendered? Viewfromthebleachers twitter feed says he has heard or seen a rumor the the Cubs could non-tender Barney. Teams have to offer players their arbitration numbers next month or have to decide to non-tender the player.

Barney is one of the best defenders at his position, but his offense is just awful. Barney was a finalist this season for the gold glove award and won the gold glove award last year. Barney could not get on base last year and had a batting average of just .208. Barney’s spectacular defense does outmatch his awful offensive numbers. At the very least, Barney is just a utility player and not a starter by any measure.

Barney is still only 28-years old, but there’s not much improving from him and should come off the bench. This Winter will be Barney’s 1st year of arbitration. Barney will make about 2-3 million this year.

The Cubs can do a few options with Barney. In which does not include non-tendering him. The Cubs could throw him into a trade with another player. Jeff Samardzija or Edwin Jackson for example. Another option could be to tender Barney a contract and use him as a stop gap until the Cubs are ready to call up second baseman Arismendy Alcantara from the minors. Alcantara has turned into a great prospect for the Cubs and on the fast track to the minors. Last season, Alcantara batted .271 with a .352 on-base percentage, 15 home runs, 69 runs driven in, 62 walks, 31 stolen bases and struck out 125 times. Alcantara will either start the season for Double-A and get a fast call-up to Triple-A or start the season in Triple-A out of spring training. I do expect to see Alcantara on the team next year at some point. We could see a infield of Anthony Rizzo (1B), Arismendy Alcantara (2B), Starlin Castro (SS) and Javier Baez (3B) by the all-star break.

For 2-3 million, I can’t see the Cubs non-tendering Barney. I could see a trade and a stop gap could be the best logical guess. 2-3 million is even cheap for a utility player now a days. By seasons end, Barney will either be traded mid-season or end the season as utility and coming off the bench.

http://www.chicitysports.com/2013/11/18/could-the-chicago-cubs-non-tender-darwin-barney/

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
i love to see him non tendered but Cubs wont do that cause they will say his DEF is to important

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
i love to see him non tendered but Cubs wont do that cause they will say his DEF is to important

For 2-3 million, I would keep him. Utility players are more than that and he'll be a stop gap. I like that option.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
Darwin Barney will come cheap if the Cubs tender him. I honestly don't think he is as bad as his .208 batting average. I think he will be up to at least .250. He had a down year, just like Starlin Castro and Anthony Rizzo and pretty much the whole Cubs team except for Travis Wood.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
They would be better off non tendering him. Murphy should cost 1 mil and Valbuna would get the lion share at 2B

The real question is is it worth giving Olt a shot at 3B. I do because he would next the 6 HR's Barney gets over 500 AB's in his first 200 on a bad year.

Seeing how they nabbed that SS it makes me feel that they are looking more at a back up that plays plus D at SS for Castro and moving the platoon over to 2B.

I believe the team needs to do this. They can not afford to run an auto out in the 8-9 hole. The team lacks talent to give easy outs away.

With Dale gone (who I believe was protecting his Boy Barney) Barney's value to the team lessens. Not to mention it was a lack of run support that stood out and Barneys .300 OBA was killing the team.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
I would rather see Barney and 2B than Valbuena. Valbuena wasn't great at the plate either.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Darwin Barney will come cheap if the Cubs tender him. I honestly don't think he is as bad as his .208 batting average. I think he will be up to at least .250. He had a down year, just like Starlin Castro and Anthony Rizzo and pretty much the whole Cubs team except for Travis Wood.

you relies his career OBA is .293 right? He is what he is. An out 7 out of 10 times. over 500 PA's that is only on base 150 times. with making an out 350 times.

Plus get with the times.

OBA and SLG. AVG is dated and doesn't show a hitters worth.

Flacco4Prez

Liked Posts:
I'd rather just bring Barney back while they wait to replace him. His glove is at least worth something

chibears55

Liked Posts:
does it really matter who plays 2B in 2014 ? 2B will either be Baez or Alcantar come 2015 and beyond..

I personally dont think Barney will be back, I think they like what they saw from murphy and will give him the job to lose..

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I would rather see Barney and 2B than Valbuena. Valbuena wasn't great at the plate either.

Barney: 501 AB: .266 OBA .303 SLG
Valbuena: 331 /ab, .331 OBA .378 SLG

There is a big diffrence going on here.

Now if you would look outside of the limited box that AVG shows. .218 vs .208 on the surface looks they bring the same. But looking deeper Valbuena brought more the the table.

Aain get out of the 80's and get with the times.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
does it really matter who plays 2B in 2014 ? 2B will either be Baez or Alcantar come 2015 and beyond..

I personally dont think Barney will be back, I think they like what they saw from murphy and will give him the job to lose..

I can see that. But he saw a favorable platoon system. He would have to prove he can hit RH pitching at a solid clip. But I like his pop and his glove was nails.

I believe the job will be Alcantara's in the end. He brings a talent level that is akin to Castro while hitting /sh.

CubbyBear2290

Graham Dougie=UNBEATABLE!
Liked Posts:
Anyone who wants DarBar over Valbuena needs their head checked quite honestly.

Darwin is a nice glove and if more valuable to a team that is in contention and needs a defensive MIF. So I hope they can possibly find a trade partner. Though I would not be the least bit surprised if the Cubs did non tender him because the long and the short of it is. That he really just isn't that good.