Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
what the fuck was that

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So who is Robert Stock and why will he be pick on against deGromm.

Talk about tanking a series on purpose. Mills then a scrub... Amazing.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Two stinkers in the first 2 games. Doesnt get easier with DeGrom..

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Cubs Select Robert Stock, Place Dillon Maples On IL

By Anthony Franco | June 16, 2021 at 4:15pm CDT

The Cubs announced a series of moves before tonight’s game against the Mets. Robert Stock was selected to the roster, while Cory Abbott was recalled from Triple-A Iowa. Dillon Maples was placed on the 10-day injured list, retroactive to June 15, with a right triceps strain, and Trevor Megill was optioned to Iowa. To create 40-man roster space for Stock’s selection, Chicago transferred catcher P.J. Higgins from the 10-day to the 60-day injured list.
Chicago claimed Stock off waivers over the winter, but they ultimately outrighted him off the 40-man before the season began. The hard-throwing righty has spent the year in Iowa, where he’s tossed 19 2/3 innings of 4.12 ERA ball. That’s not an eye-catching level of run prevention, but Stock’s peripherals look much better. He’s punched out 30.5% of opponents in Triple-A while walking just 4.9% of batters faced.
The latter number is especially crucial for Stock, who’s been plagued by control issues at the big league level in recent seasons. The 31-year-old walked an untenable 15.3% of hitters with the Padres and Red Sox between 2019-20, contributing to a 7.13 ERA over 24 frames. The Cubs will give him a chance to carry over his seeming newfound control at the big league level. Stock’s 2021 MLB debut will come tonight, as he’s on the mound as an opener against New York.
Losing Maples is a tough blow for the Cubs bullpen. The 29-year-old has appeared in the big leagues in each of the past five seasons, but his 22 2/3 innings this year is easily a career-high. Maples has pitched to a sterling 1.99 ERA over that time with elite strikeout (33.7%) and ground ball (52.3%) numbers. Maples boasts some of the best stuff in baseball, with elite velocity and spin on each of his four-seam fastball, cutter-slider and curveball. He’s always walked a fine line with his control, though, and Maples has continued to dole out free passes at an alarming rate (14.7%) this season.
Higgins went on the IL last week with a forearm strain. He’ll now be sidelined until at least mid-August. Recent testing revealed more significant damage than expected in his elbow, reports Sahadev Sharma of the Athletic (Twitter link). The 28-year-old Higgins has picked up his first 25 MLB plate appearances this season, serving as a backup to Willson Contreras.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So deGromm out with a injured shoulder? Are we seeing another grip gripe incoming?

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Jacob deGrom Leaves Start Early With Right Shoulder Soreness

By Anthony Franco | June 16, 2021 at 7:23pm CDT

Mets ace Jacob deGrom left this evening’s start after three innings due to right shoulder soreness, the team announced. Sean Reid-Foley replaced him to start the fourth frame.
It’s the second consecutive start in which deGrom has been forced out prematurely. Right flexor tendinitis knocked him out of his start last Friday. deGrom didn’t sound particularly concerned after that outing, and an intervening MRI came back clean. Nevertheless, it’s certainly alarming to see the game’s best pitcher removed early due to injury in back-to-back outings. deGrom also missed a couple weeks last month due to right side tightness, so he’s now dealt with side, forearm and shoulder issues this year.
As usual, deGrom was incredible tonight before he exited. He struck out eight of nine Cubs hitters across three perfect innings. The outing dropped his ERA to an unfathomable 0.54 in 67 innings on the year.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Ahhh, just turned on the game. Will probably be turning it off soon. I see the Cubs brought up another guy with a major league arm and a minor league brain. Walking 5 or 6 guys in 4 innings of work will always endear yourself to the team's manager. Should be a one and done for this clown show.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Yeah, this sucks. I feel like its pretty obvious after watching this series and the Giants series that these teams are just better.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Yeah, this sucks. I feel like its pretty obvious after watching this series and the Giants series that these teams are just better.

BuT wE bEaT dA dOdGeRs, PaDrEs, AnD cArDiNaLs

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Imagine if degrom hadn’t gotten hurt…he might of broken the strikeout record against the cubs lineup. He had 8 strikeouts in 3 innings, on pace to break the record in just 8 innings lol

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
BuT wE bEaT dA dOdGeRs, PaDrEs, AnD cArDiNaLs
Don't get me wrong, I think the Cubs can compete, but it's just kinda obvious that the Cubs aren't one of the top teams in the NL, imo. They need some pieces if they want to make a run at this thing this year. I am really thinking they become sellers at the deadline tho. Fans are going to erupt too if they are currently leading the NL Central.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It's the same damn thing every year....everyone screams "WE GOTTA GET A STARTING PITCHER". What good would that do? They stop scoring runs....pretty much stop putting the bat on the ball. This series is a perfect example. All the good work they did for a couple of weeks just disappears....no strike zone knowledge, just big HR swings on any pitch in the same area code. They only way they have scored in this series is by the long ball...nothing else. In 3 games games they have 13 hits with 5 being HRs and an incredible 40 K's.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Don't get me wrong, I think the Cubs can compete, but it's just kinda obvious that the Cubs aren't one of the top teams in the NL, imo. They need some pieces if they want to make a run at this thing this year. I am really thinking they become sellers at the deadline tho. Fans are going to erupt too if they are currently leading the NL Central.

I believe Alzolay returns on the 18th. Williams needs to be cleared. Nico is doing lite activities. Duffy should be sent on a rehab soon.

The team is banged up right now. Heyward has been dead weight. Happ same thing.

Sure this team has issues. Most of it is related to injury.

Full strength I'm not sure that the Cubs are getting punked like this. Losing Nico and Duffy lost two contact bats in the line up. That put AB's on Sogard and Wisdom. Now Wisdom turned into a good thing. But Duffy could have been in LF for a true platoon with Joc.

Now reading the Cubs site sounds like David is asking for a legit back up catcher and a starting pitcher. Contreras goes down this shit is over. That is the one injury that fucks the season.

Starter is obvious. This shit is broke when Davies and Hendricks are off of the rubber.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Well thinking on this.

Get Duffy back.

LF Duffy
CF Joc/Marisnick
RF Bryant
3B Wisdom
SS Baez
2B Alacantra
1B Rizzo
C Contreras

Use Happ to get a back up catcher and a back of the rotation ASAP. Heyward I would just keep as a late inning D upgrade.

I believe that we should be done with Happ for good at this point. He has value going forward but for the Cubs too much swing in miss in this line up to keep a slumping CF.

As far as going for a true rotation upgrade? Getting Alzolay back gives them 3 guys that give them a chance to win that day. Jake is just covering 5 innings and you hope that he don't implode. Mills can be decent. It was his first game back vs MLB hitters.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Ya it is boring. But I just don't see teams dropping starting pitching right now. Injuries are on the rise. You have to think small right now and getting Alzolay back and Mills filling in for Williams might be as good as it gets.

I see it as Stink gets tossed and Alzolay gets activated. That should be act 1.
Duffy goes on a week rehab and returns. Ortiz gets bumped.

After that they need a back up catcher that can start. That becomes the priority.

by that time the Cubs will be what they are. If they are in a free fall expect trades. They are improving with health expect a major trade for a starting pitcher. Don't be shocked if Happ is involved in it. Bryant has played CF just fine and Heyward they are stuck with. Eventually he has to start hitting.

Ideally it would be Happ, Bote and Williams to Detroit for Boyd and one of their 3 catchers.

Bote goes to 2B. Upgrade to Castro.
Williams refills the starting void.
Akili Baddoo is a solid CF.
Grossman is solid in LF
Mazara in RF is meh. Outside of Texas his power went south for the summer.

Cubs and the Tigers have a long history of trades. the have a few of the Cubs past top 30 playing for them as we speak. So this is not a reach on a trade at all.

Last edited:

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

being sellers at the deadline is what is best for the franchise. Selling off prospects to try and get pieces to patch this roster would be a massive mistake imo

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
being sellers at the deadline is what is best for the franchise. Selling off prospects to try and get pieces to patch this roster would be a massive mistake imo
Selective selling at the very least. They have to move Kimbrel this year while the iron's still hot. I mean I love the job he's doing but it will be all downhill after this season. I would try to keep Bryant, not only because of his bat but because you just don't find elite players that are that versatile anymore.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Selective selling at the very least. They have to move Kimbrel this year while the iron's still hot. I mean I love the job he's doing but it will be all downhill after this season. I would try to keep Bryant, not only because of his bat but because you just don't find elite players that are that versatile anymore.

I agree on Bryant. Going forward he has a place.

I'm not against trading but it would be to help now and going forward.

#1 trade Bote, Happ and Williams for Boyd. Detroit just DFAed Ramos so the back up catcher might come prior.

This helps the Cubs by adding a LHSP with a year of control. It opens up roster and playing time for Wisdom at 3B. It gives Jed the opertunity to resign Duffy.

Kimbrel I do see your point. And it is not wrong. The Cubs have Nance and Maples with Wick returning. It will not be Kimbrel in the 9th but that is a decent 7-9 for the team. So it would have to be justified. You dont want to give the enemy a weapon to use against you. You are not in it then why not.

Baez I would let walk. Hoerner and Alacantra are nice small ball players and the Cubs need more of that.

Rizzo I would rather retain. Keep him and Bryant together going forward. Cubs need true leaders like them going into the next generation. Not losers like Heyward.