Cubs at Pirates

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Re-evaluate in the middle of June. Cubs has some tough series coming up - SD twice, SF and St Louis. The cubs are hot though!

SF I believe is air.
STL the Cubs can beat. They have beaten that squad and is not overmatched by them at all.

SD will be a tough battle. I feel ok with Kyle, Alzolay and Davies in there. Davies pitched there last year and knows how to play that park.

Yet again it is about the match up. Cubs O at full can battle with most teams. If Yu is up ya that will be a tough win. The rest of their staff can be beat.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
But how to make it work?

Baez 20M AAV
Rizzo 20M AAV
Bryant 30M AAV

2022 on the books: 58M

We forget that they will be 142M under 200M. And they can afford 200M.

Those 3 will cost 1/2 of that. Then you use the system as cost savings and trade assets.

This is not rocket science. Jed just needs to put his big boy pants on and act like a major market President of team operations vs a little market sniveling Scrooge.
Caught up in the Cubby vibe much? Ha! It's not even June yet. This team is very capable of going on one of their patented run scoring droughts at any moment....we seen it before, many times. And with this group of starters, that would bring things to a skreeching halt. I will say that Jed has some decisions to make coming up. I mean I said it before in another thread....somewhere along the line he will have to decide to do a full rebuild or not. If things continue as they have....he will have some real valuable pieces to move at the deadline. Long term....that's probably what he should be looking at. But it will be damn hard to make those moves if the Cubs are anywhere near 1st place at the deadline. The fans will eat him alive.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Jed is going to have to look at the Farm System too. If he thinks there's young talent that can come up and make this team better WITH the 4 (Baez, Bryant, Rizzo, Contreras), then build around that. If he needs to add more to that system, then they are going to have to move on from 1-2 of them.

I'd personally trade Kimbrel no matter what at the deadline.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Caught up in the Cubby vibe much? Ha! It's not even June yet. This team is very capable of going on one of their patented run scoring droughts at any moment....we seen it before, many times. And with this group of starters, that would bring things to a skreeching halt. I will say that Jed has some decisions to make coming up. I mean I said it before in another thread....somewhere along the line he will have to decide to do a full rebuild or not. If things continue as they have....he will have some real valuable pieces to move at the deadline. Long term....that's probably what he should be looking at. But it will be damn hard to make those moves if the Cubs are anywhere near 1st place at the deadline. The fans will eat him alive.

If he did resign all 3.

Joc LF (walk year)
Happ CF (23 last year)
Heyward RF (23 last year)
Bryant 3B
Baez SS
Hoerner 2B
Rizzo 1B
Contreras (walk year)

Hendricks (23 walk year)
Alzolay
Williams (walk year)
Arreta (walk year)
5th starter.

Now Jake has a 10M opt and a 2 M buyout.
Joc 10M opt and 2.5M buy out.

They are both worth retaining. Jake would slot #3 in this rotation. It only exception is both Steel and Thompson look ready to take over starting roles. Then you look at over head. Williams costs nothing to not offer. He did cost 2.5M and would cost $4. Jake would cost $8. So in this scenerio you save the 4M unless Jake is a 3+ WAR pitcher and Williams is a 0 WAR pitcher. Then the cash is worth it.

If they are contending you pull 16M opt on Kimbrel. The pen is going to get better and they can save with adding youth and not signing vets

Chafin 2.75M
Winkler .9M
Brothers .85M
Teperia .8M
Holder .75M
Mills .6M
Wick .59M
Adam .5M
Maples .6M

It adds up .

The way I look at it is to bring up pitching via the pen. As they start to cost$ then decide. Closer material? Stater. Or cut and keep the talent upwelling.

Self developed pitching is a huge asset. F/A pitching can be a money dump. Especially with injury being more frequent.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

some people fall for the same shit, year after year after year...

like you said, this is very cubs like. Have a really hot month that puts them in contention, then the bats go quietly into that good night

TL1961

Liked Posts:
This is smart by Baez. Dumb by the first baseman.

I actually saw someone say it was dumb by Baez. No idea what the guy was smoking. If the 1st baseman realizes all he has to do is touch first, Javy laughs and heads to get his glove. What's dumb?

Someone else said Javy's decision had nothing to do with it. What?? If Javy doesn't do what he did, inning over. Yes, it should have been even with his move, but it wasn't.

People are so stupid.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
More than likely, Cubs bats go quiet late in the year. I'd rather them blow it all up and sell high on KB and others. Stock that farm system once again!

Bust

Liked Posts:
I actually saw someone say it was dumb by Baez. No idea what the guy was smoking. If the 1st baseman realizes all he has to do is touch first, Javy laughs and heads to get his glove. What's dumb?

Someone else said Javy's decision had nothing to do with it. What?? If Javy doesn't do what he did, inning over. Yes, it should have been even with his move, but it wasn't.

People are so stupid.

Am surprised no one on Pirates infield was pointing and directing traffic. Then you have no one backing up first when the original first baseman got baited into chasing Baez.

Lack of fundamentals comes down to coaching. FIRE THEM ALL!!!!

90sBullsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Kansas City Royals
  1. Minnesota Timberwolves
  1. Kansas City Chiefs
  1. Minnesota Wild
  1. Northern Iowa Panthers
I don't understand how everyone in the Pirates' dugout (and a good share of his teammates on the field) aren't SCREAMING at the 1st baseman to simply turn around, go to first and end the inning.

Monumental bonehead play, and something we might not ever see again.