1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
That ball was crushed.

Bat speed was awesome.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Likeable kid. Had a chance to be the hero against the Sox today and hit a checked swing roller to first base for the final out. It's a process.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
To his credit, he did get a huge hit and rbi to get them up by two runs before that. Still at .293 average.
Put today on the bullpen and their 3 blown save opportunities.
Curious what everyone thinks is his best position on defense.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
To his credit, he did get a huge hit and rbi to get them up by two runs before that. Still at .293 average.
Put today on the bullpen and their 3 blown save opportunities.
Curious what everyone thinks is his best position on defense.

His flexibility is keeping his job. Happ had the same thing going at the start also.

But he came up as a 3B and if he can keep this up Wisdom has always been seen as a place holder.

So as far as Morel is concerned being flexible is his strongest asset right now. But as he becomes adapted to this level of talent. And trust me his success is more so on a lack of info on a AA hitter then him being this good.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
His flexibility is keeping his job. Happ had the same thing going at the start also.

But he came up as a 3B and if he can keep this up Wisdom has always been seen as a place holder.

So as far as Morel is concerned being flexible is his strongest asset right now. But as he becomes adapted to this level of talent. And trust me his success is more so on a lack of info on a AA hitter then him being this good.
I’ve been assured that Wisdom is a gold glover

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I’ve been assured that Wisdom is a gold glover

He made a solid play yesterday or W/E. Regardless his main value is his HR ability.

That said:. They could hose away this team and promote Crow-Armstron and Kilian. Hertz for that matter. Let them struggle and go through growing pains as a unit. The team would be watchable as we would be seeing potential develop vs wasting time watching paint dry

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
He made a solid play yesterday or W/E. Regardless his main value is his HR ability.

That said:. They could hose away this team and promote Crow-Armstron and Kilian. Hertz for that matter. Let them struggle and go through growing pains as a unit. The team would be watchable as we would be seeing potential develop vs wasting time watching paint dry
While the current roster is nothing to be excited about, I’m not all for rushing guys up just because they are playing well in the minors and the major league team sucks. You can crush a guys career by bringing him up too early, granted those are extreme cases, they do still exist.

I also think the cubs have some sort of guidelines as far as a checklist they like to see a prospect complete before calling him up. It’s the prudent way to operate. There are of course exceptions to the rules, but none of those prospects you mentioned are THAT elite of can’t miss talent to qualify for that exception

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Everyone is simply sick of watching back of their career AAA players pretending to be ML players. I know I'm upchucking after an inning or two.... trade deadline can't get here soon enough.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
While the current roster is nothing to be excited about, I’m not all for rushing guys up just because they are playing well in the minors and the major league team sucks. You can crush a guys career by bringing him up too early, granted those are extreme cases, they do still exist.

I also think the cubs have some sort of guidelines as far as a checklist they like to see a prospect complete before calling him up. It’s the prudent way to operate. There are of course exceptions to the rules, but none of those prospects you mentioned are THAT elite of can’t miss talent to qualify for that exception

Morel pretty much is playing over his head. But he kinda falls into this box.

Crow Armstrong just broke into the top 100. So he is starting to scratch that wall.

Kilian is ready. Jed is just holding his clock back. There is no reason other than keeping his clock back right now. Promoting Swarmer over him put a exclamation on that.

Hertz was a toss in but he needs to get a bump. Not sure if it happened yet tbh. Been busy

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Its going to be interesting when Suzuki comes back. What do the Cubs do with Heyward? Morel is going to play. You have Ortega and versatility. Could the Cubs release like the Mets did with Cano? You got to figure Velz and Davis will see ML at some point.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Its going to be interesting when Suzuki comes back. What do the Cubs do with Heyward? Morel is going to play. You have Ortega and versatility. Could the Cubs release like the Mets did with Cano? You got to figure Velz and Davis will see ML at some point.

2B is a legit option right now.

wRC+
Contreras 156
Morel 135
Wisdom 120
Happ 119
Suzuki 115
Ortega 100
Frazier 100
Hoerner 99
Rivas 78
Schwindel 78
Villar 72
Heyward 60
Madrigal 44
Simmons 21

This shouldn't be too difficult to figure. Best D. O sucks in general right now.

But if you are looking to max out O.

Morel 3B
Contreras C
Happ LF
Wisdom 1B
Suzuki RF
Ortega CF
Frazier DH
Villar 2B
Hoerner SS

With this they can move some guys around for days off. But in general there is a real issue going on in talent.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
AAA:
Kilian 9 starts. 39.1 IP. 2.06 ERA 15 BB 41 SO
Velazquez .222/.296/.417 He needs more seasoning.
Davis still in Azl working on his back.
Marquez still has not made a start. Still in Azl.+

So there is time. Kilian is the only guy that is getting a snub right now in the higher leagues. Lower leagues Hertz 1.45 ERA 17 BB 53 SO in 37.1 IP. He is wrecking that league. He has Ace level talent. Stuff wise he is up with Sale. Wicks 3.65 ERA 43 SO 11 BB in 37 IP. He looks like a solid 3-4 SP and should get a bump.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The Cub's starting pitching has two huge holes at the top. Right now....their #1 and #2 should actually be penciled in at #4 and #5. They can slide in Thompson at #3 but 1 and 2 are open. At some point, they need to find out if Kilian or someone else can fill one of those two holes. If they can fill one of those slots, they could be a competitive team relatively soon. If they can somehow fill them both....depending on the goodies they get at the deadline....they might make a move upwards next season.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cub's starting pitching has two huge holes at the top. Right now....their #1 and #2 should actually be penciled in at #4 and #5. They can slide in Thompson at #3 but 1 and 2 are open. At some point, they need to find out if Kilian or someone else can fill one of those two holes. If they can fill one of those slots, they could be a competitive team relatively soon. If they can somehow fill them both....depending on the goodies they get at the deadline....they might make a move upwards next season.
Stroman should be able to slide in as a legit 2 when healthy.

The Cubs have some pitchers coming up soon. We will see how they fall but, Wicks should be pretty fast tracked and Killian is ready.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Unless they are still tanking, I think I'd want someone better than a 31 yr old sub .500 pitcher in the second slot.....3, 4 or 5, maybe. They should also be looking into dumping Heyward.....I mean he's playing now because of injuries but when people start getting healthy, he'll only be taking up space from someone younger and probably more skilled. The Cubs got fucked on the signing....he's not gonna get any better.....time to own up to it, take the financial beating, DFA him and move on.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Unless they are still tanking, I think I'd want someone better than a 31 yr old sub .500 pitcher in the second slot.....3, 4 or 5, maybe. They should also be looking into dumping Heyward.....I mean he's playing now because of injuries but when people start getting healthy, he'll only be taking up space from someone younger and probably more skilled. The Cubs got fucked on the signing....he's not gonna get any better.....time to own up to it, take the financial beating, DFA him and move on.
W/L does not matter for a pitcher. Stroman has been a proven 2/3 and stretches of a 1 type through his career.