Cubs farm depth pitching.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Once again the Cubs have struggled to develop top end rotation pitching. But they have shown consistent ability to harness their pitching infrastructure to get the most of their free agent or trade pick ups to fill out their rotation and bullpen.

I think if the Cubs want to contend within 1-3 years they need to sign top of rotation talent starting this off season, Carlos Rodon comes to mind as an ideal 7 year signing. In 2023 they can target Berrios or Nola, or do some trading in 2023 if they expect to make a run that year. Otherwise their top end starting material looks bleak.

Cubspitching.PNG

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Jordan Wicks isn't on any lists or ranking yet on MLB. So he isn't on this and could help top of rotation outlook depending on how he performs this year and next.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I am reading more on KIllian and I think his current grade is too low considering this years performance. I think he can easily jump from a 45 to 55. He has elite control and upper 90's with 3-4 pitches he can throw for strikes.
Yeah im much more interested in him than the other giants prospect. I think he could be a very good starting pitcher for us.

holyfriggincow

Liked Posts:
Nice posts boys...Kilian shows great promise but is probably two years away or so. But Keegan Thompson (JP listed him above) and Steele could be here next season as well as Marquez obviously. So we FINALLY have some good young power arms on the rise from a starting pitching standpoint.

It'll be interesting to see who they sign as FA's next season to supplement the staff. I'd like to see two starters signed. I would go with Rodon and Robbie Ray would be two solid signings. Pair them with Hendricks and your 1-3 would be solid. I think Davies won't be back and Alzolay is........Alzolay. Maybe round out the rotation with a couple kids like Marquez and/or Steele or Thompson.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Nice posts boys...Kilian shows great promise but is probably two years away or so. But Keegan Thompson (JP listed him above) and Steele could be here next season as well as Marquez obviously. So we FINALLY have some good young power arms on the rise from a starting pitching standpoint.

It'll be interesting to see who they sign as FA's next season to supplement the staff. I'd like to see two starters signed. I would go with Rodon and Robbie Ray would be two solid signings. Pair them with Hendricks and your 1-3 would be solid. I think Davies won't be back and Alzolay is........Alzolay. Maybe round out the rotation with a couple kids like Marquez and/or Steele or Thompson.
For the record, the Thompson I posted is Riley Thompson, I purposely only included players not yet on the MLB level.

holyfriggincow

Liked Posts:
For the record, the Thompson I posted is Riley Thompson, I purposely only included players not yet on the MLB level.
My bad JP: I had Keegan on the brain because I saw he's continuing to be stretched out at Iowa with Steele. Excited about both of them moving forward.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am reading more on KIllian and I think his current grade is too low considering this years performance. I think he can easily jump from a 45 to 55. He has elite control and upper 90's with 3-4 pitches he can throw for strikes.

Yeah, Keith Law mentioned that Killian has developed a new pitch since being drafted that has transformed his stock as a prospect.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Carlos Rodon comes to mind as an ideal 7 year signing.
Puff puff pass that shit over here, friend. That's some strong stuff.

The dude started the year red hot now has regressed to what he's always been--inconsistent. His numbers still look pretty but he was target practice in July.

Add in the fact that there are way too many miles on that arm, his elbow's held together by a thread along with the fact he's seldom healthy, a 7-year deal would be incredibly stupid.

Now a 1-2 year deal where you flip him at the deadline after he's been hopefully been hot? That's what the cubs are probably looking for this winter, so let's temper some expectations.

Otherwise their top end starting material looks bleak.
This has been my overall gripe with Theo/Jed/McLeod. Finding 2 way position players with high obp's they can do blindfolded. Finding pitching, especially TOR pitching has just been 2 guys since 2012--Cease and now Marquez--has been embarrassing.

Most of their drafts--and I'll give Kantrovitz a couple of years to see if he does anything different--have been position players early before bulk drafting unremarkable pitching in the mid-rounds (they never seem to find starters who throw mid-upper 90s, just relievers who can and starters who throw low 90s), throwing said bucket of shit at a wall, and hoping something sticks.

Nothing has, unless James Norwood floats your boat.

Last edited:

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Also a pass for Rodon. He's the poster boy for spin rate control....once MLB had the umps start checking, he suddenly returned to the old Rodon. His breaking ball was never as biting as it was early this season. You can add the fact that he's been hurt every year he's been in the majors.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Also a pass for Rodon. He's the poster boy for spin rate control....once MLB had the umps start checking, he suddenly returned to the old Rodon. His breaking ball was never as biting as it was early this season. You can add the fact that he's been hurt every year he's been in the majors.
Personally I would just grab one of the older guys you can likely get on a couple year deal. Scherzer, Verlander, or Kluber. I wouldn't be against Gausmann

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
The oldest, most expensive guys when not ready to contend?
I figure they can be flipped at the deadline to a WS contender. But also they aren't signing here if the cubs don't at least put in the appearance of contending

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Puff puff pass that shit over here, friend. That's some strong stuff.

The dude started the year red hot now has regressed to what he's always been--inconsistent. His numbers still look pretty but he was target practice in July.

Add in the fact that there are way too many miles on that arm, his elbow's held together by a thread along with the fact he's seldom healthy, a 7-year deal would be incredibly stupid.

Now a 1-2 year deal where you flip him at the deadline after he's been hopefully been hot? That's what the cubs are probably looking for this winter, so let's temper some expectations.

This has been my overall gripe with Theo/Jed/McLeod. Finding 2 way position players with high obp's they can do blindfolded. Finding pitching, especially TOR pitching has just been 2 guys since 2012--Cease and now Marquez--has been embarrassing.

Most of their drafts--and I'll give Kantrovitz a couple of years to see if he does anything different--have been position players early before bulk drafting unremarkable pitching in the mid-rounds (they never seem to find starters who throw mid-upper 90s, just relievers who can and starters who throw low 90s), throwing said bucket of shit at a wall, and hoping something sticks.

Nothing has, unless James Norwood floats your boat.
I agree that Rodon has been injured in the past. But he's the best available and has a good track record, outisde of two years. Injuries? Yes, but they aren't the soft tissue reoccurring ones.