Cubs farm depth positional players

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Sometimes it is good to have a visual of what lies ahead for call ups. Since we are now in rebuild mode we can better see with graphics where the weaknesses are. This is just positional players. I put players where they are projected to play. Shortstops can eventually move to second or third, so although third lacks depth it can fill in easily. It appears our issues going forward will be first base, as I am not confident Ball can be relied upon. Perhaps we can get Contreras signed to play there or go after someone like Freeman or bringing Rizzo back.

Also the listing after their names are from MLB.com: age, date of expected call up and grade. I would honestly say most of these call up dates might be a year early but I don't really know.

I will eventually do a thread like this on pitching depth as well.

Cubs depth.PNG

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
With 150 million in cap space I can see making sense of signing some big names like Rodon. And if we can get a 5 year deal on a positional player maybe Arenado/Rizzo/Bryant/Freeman to fil lout 3b/1b, which lacks immediate relief. We may not be division winners with those, but we can compete and sign a bunch of one year deals on guys we can off load. I don't think Hoyer/Ricketts can legit throw out no names next year with the money the Cubs have,

TL1961

Liked Posts:
With 150 million in cap space I can see making sense of signing some big names like Rodon. And if we can get a 5 year deal on a positional player maybe Arenado/Rizzo/Bryant/Freeman to fil lout 3b/1b, which lacks immediate relief. We may not be division winners with those, but we can compete and sign a bunch of one year deals on guys we can off load. I don't think Hoyer/Ricketts can legit throw out no names next year with the money the Cubs have,
Arenado has dreamed of playing in St. Louis and is not leaving.

Rizzo is on the downturn. We don't need to spend the next two months dreaming he wil sign with the Cubs in the offseason.

I highly doubt Bryant would, but he would make sense.

Love Javy, but he isn't coming back.

I think they are going to need another year before free agents will have any interest and before it makes sense so spend on them.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They will not contend for anything but the #1 Draft pick next year.....which is fine. There is a time and place for big contracts.....next year is not one of them. Next year's goal is pretty simple....develop what you have and try to acquire more young assets. Oh, they may sign some people but they should be either very young players or players on a very short leash.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Looking forward to seeing some of those OF the sooner the better. Happ and Heyward are ass.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Sometimes it is good to have a visual of what lies ahead for call ups. Since we are now in rebuild mode we can better see with graphics where the weaknesses are. This is just positional players. I put players where they are projected to play. Shortstops can eventually move to second or third, so although third lacks depth it can fill in easily. It appears our issues going forward will be first base, as I am not confident Ball can be relied upon. Perhaps we can get Contreras signed to play there or go after someone like Freeman or bringing Rizzo back.

Also the listing after their names are from MLB.com: age, date of expected call up and grade. I would honestly say most of these call up dates might be a year early but I don't really know.

I will eventually do a thread like this on pitching depth as well.

View attachment 12797
I was seeing it a bit differently.

LF: Canario is at SB now. Roederer has fallen pretty fast in the rankings due to the Cubs lacking quality 2nd tier talent. He is a 4th OF in quality. Both should move up to Tenn in 2022 and that is where it gets sorted. But the 45 grade will get pushed aside for a 50.

CF Crow-Armstrong should take over CF when he gets up. He has all of the lead off tools that you desire.

Alcantara also has that skill set but he is a tough prediction. 6'6" 188. He has room to grow. He has 4 full years in development ahead of him so I wouldn't predict much at this point as his tool set most likely changes by then.

RF: I agree with Davis. He should get pushed over. I expect him up this time next year.

Deichmann is leading off and in RF in Iowa now. I really just see him as a 4th OF right now. He would have to tap into his power to make me think otherwise.

3B is a area of concern. Needs to be targeted more.

SS is overboard. I'm guessing Jed figures move over to 2B etc.
2B same as 3B.
1B is a spot of power hitting OF with noodle arms in the NL.

So sounds about right.

So the 55 guys you either use as trade chip or start.
50 are guys that fill the roster.
45 are the guys that may never make it to the majors. If they do they need 1 plus tool or flexibility to survive.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Looking forward to seeing some of those OF the sooner the better. Happ and Heyward are ass.

Davis is the only one to expect anytime soon. And he is a year out. The rest too much time to get happy about.

Jed needs to get rid of both but he needs to address it via F/A.

If it was me. I and targeting Castallanos. Move him to 1B. Then target Confronto for LF. Keep Ortega. Kid is balling right now and seems to be a nice fit to this team. Trade Happ. Heyward hold til Davis promotes. At that point time will tell. Heyward resurges to last year production the dialogue changes. That means a .300 hitter again with full trade blocking rights. But he may wave them for the right deal. If he is sucking then you eat the deal and promote Davis. Ortega would have to fall back to his mean production to create option 3.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Sad part is this team is not much worse than the pre trade deadline one.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Davis is the only one to expect anytime soon. And he is a year out. The rest too much time to get happy about.

Jed needs to get rid of both but he needs to address it via F/A.

If it was me. I and targeting Castallanos. Move him to 1B. Then target Confronto for LF. Keep Ortega. Kid is balling right now and seems to be a nice fit to this team. Trade Happ. Heyward hold til Davis promotes. At that point time will tell. Heyward resurges to last year production the dialogue changes. That means a .300 hitter again with full trade blocking rights. But he may wave them for the right deal. If he is sucking then you eat the deal and promote Davis. Ortega would have to fall back to his mean production to create option 3.
The return for Heyward and Happ combined should be less than for Chafin.

Castellanos is a poor defender. Signing him for his bat and asking him to play a new position is a losing proposition. If he had never played for the Cubs before he would not be on your radar. Sentiment is not a good reason to pursue a player. Fortunately, GM's know that.

I would not allow any player's results between now and the end of the year affect my long-term planning. If Ortega continues ot hit and plays well, and he sticks around, fine. But plan as though he's a bench player at best.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I don't like to write off any guy before he gets a lot of time under his belt, but hoping for Happ to suddenly blossom into what had been hoped seems like a longshot.

So far today I have seen him whiff, hit a soft little popup, and make a throw "home" that was 15 feet up the line (and resulted in runners from 1st and 2nd scoring on a single).

His defensive skills are average at best. His bat has been terrible. He has average speed. It will take a shocking turn of events for him to become an asset for the future. I expect he will stick for a while due to the present situation, but as talent is acquired, he is likely gone.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Castellanos is a poor defender. Signing him for his bat and asking him to play a new position is a losing proposition. If he had never played for the Cubs before he would not be on your radar. Sentiment is not a good reason to pursue a player. Fortunately, GM's know that.

I would not allow any player's results between now and the end of the year affect my long-term planning. If Ortega continues ot hit and plays well, and he sticks around, fine. But plan as though he's a bench player at best.
He was a 3B. I feel that 1B or LF is the least troublsome. The key is getting guys that can hit the target or bounce proper vs Baez and all of the Rizzo saves making him look good.

But 1B is traditionally a guy that can bash and catch a ball. We are spoiled. Wisdom is doing it ATM and the boat is not sinking.

Happ might be worth something. Fring arm. Teams always look to fix or change it up with a guy.

Happ needs to level his swing path. If he stopped trying to jack every pitch he wouldnt suck so bad.

holyfriggincow

Liked Posts:
I agree JP, especially with the team the White Sox have. I was surprised we fortified their bully with Tepera and Kimble. Damn Jud, couldn't you find as good or better deal with the Mariners or Giants or whomever? Jud said the other day he doesn't see this as a 'total rebuild' which tells me as a fan for the past 40 years we better be signing some talent next offseason. I like Rodon and Ray as starting pitchers and like you said maybe Freeman at first. I think Bryant won't even talk to the Cubs. Too many hard feelings from manipulating his service time 5 years ago. Rizzo? Maybe but if he keeps raking like this the Yanks will back up the brinks truck. I'd love to see either Correa or Seager signed at SS and Castellanos in the OF and I'd cross train him to play 1B if possible too.

holyfriggincow

Liked Posts:

True about Castellanos...he's a DH waiting to happen the more I think about it. BUT....that's the beauty of it boys. The DH hits the NL next year right? He'd be an ideal DH if you think about it. Guy is a doubles machine and could play RF every now and again on the road. RF is tough in Wrigley and I wouldn't want him out there frankly.