Cubs Farm System And Prospects Discussion Thread

TL1961

Liked Posts:
If we are talking all prospects, regardless of level and ETA, Howard and Hernandez are strong SS prospects.
Brennen Davis is a strong OF prospect.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
If we are talking all prospects, regardless of level and ETA, Howard and Hernandez are strong SS prospects.
Brennen Davis is a strong OF prospect.
Hernandez excites me the most. I look forward to seeing him move up. I think Preciado is better than Howard but likely moves to 3rd

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I just hope the 2022 Cubs are not hapless, but are Happless.

holyfriggincow

Liked Posts:
I just hope the 2022 Cubs are not hapless, but are Happless.

You and me both. Matter of fact, I'm hoping the 2021 Cubs are Happless. This guy is just.......LOST. He's been given ample opportunity and simply can't barrel up the ball consistently. He sure LOOKS the part, but just can't do it. Not in a Cubs Uni anyway. We must have a kid or two at Iowa or Tennessee that can do better. Time to find out. Adios Ian.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Happ is still under cheap control, just letting him go would be unwise. This year has been an anomaly and his hard contact percentage has tanked. There is a chance that with a team no longer in contention he can perhaps find his former self and improve. At this point it is better to hope he has a solid year next season so he can be traded.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm not a huge Happ fan but he is a switch hitter with some power who has had a bit of success in the past.....to DFA him would not only be stupid but counter productive. The Cubs aren't going anywhere for awhile....plenty of time to build up his value again. If his presence starts interfering with the progress of a younger player, then you start looking at a DFA...until that time, see if they can get him straightened out enough where he can draw some attention.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I'm not a huge Happ fan but he is a switch hitter with some power who has had a bit of success in the past.....to DFA him would not only be stupid but counter productive. The Cubs aren't going anywhere for awhile....plenty of time to build up his value again. If his presence starts interfering with the progress of a younger player, then you start looking at a DFA...until that time, see if they can get him straightened out enough where he can draw some attention.
Hell Conforto is having a similar year to happ and @CSF77 wants to give him 8 years $200 million.

Don't get me wrong, I like Conforto but not that much

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Hell Conforto is having a similar year to happ and @CSF77 wants to give him 8 years $200 million.

Don't get me wrong, I like Conforto but not that much

I personally think that he should take a QO from the mets. 1 year is not what a career is base upon. It is just a shapshot of time.

Happ has been off far more than on in his career. 5 years 107 OPS+ over that span.

Conforto 7 years at a 124 OPS+ over all. I think he is a bit more accomplished at this point.

Conforto is going in depressed not broke. Happ is broke. We are talking Heyward type broke. One good year over a deal type of broke.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
But I love it that you love my opinion. Lol.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Speaking of that..2020 was the year that the good looked bad and the bad looked good. Talk about a abnormal year.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
In our first WS run we seemed to have top heavy talent in the farm, but little depth. So when guys like Almora, Happ, Russell, and lesser part Schwarber didn't pan out, we were left with little to call up or trade with.

This time around, however, it seems our depth is historically unprecendented. Our farms 7-9 ranking is based off not having enough top 100 prospects. But most of our 20-30 ranked champs would break the top 10 in other farm systems.

"That said, that depth – the sheer volume of legitimate prospects who would be in that 6 to 15 range in an average farm system – is incredible. Consider Toronto for an example of a median farm system at FanGraphs: their 15th raked prospect is their 4th 40 FV prospect, and they’ve got 26 40 FV or better prospects. In the Cubs system? You don’t even GET TO 40 FV until the 31st ranked prospect. In other words, the Cubs have 30(!) prospects right now that would rank 11th or better in the Blue Jays’ average farm system. That’s extreme depth."

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Maldonado at AA might be cubs DH of the future. Dude has no position but is a hell of a hitter.

Nwogu (sp.?) has started to make big strides this past month after making adjustments to his stance and swing coming into the season.

Caissie should be moved up because AZL isn't a challenge to him

CSF77

Liked Posts:
In our first WS run we seemed to have top heavy talent in the farm, but little depth. So when guys like Almora, Happ, Russell, and lesser part Schwarber didn't pan out, we were left with little to call up or trade with.

This time around, however, it seems our depth is historically unprecendented. Our farms 7-9 ranking is based off not having enough top 100 prospects. But most of our 20-30 ranked champs would break the top 10 in other farm systems.

"That said, that depth – the sheer volume of legitimate prospects who would be in that 6 to 15 range in an average farm system – is incredible. Consider Toronto for an example of a median farm system at FanGraphs: their 15th raked prospect is their 4th 40 FV prospect, and they’ve got 26 40 FV or better prospects. In the Cubs system? You don’t even GET TO 40 FV until the 31st ranked prospect. In other words, the Cubs have 30(!) prospects right now that would rank 11th or better in the Blue Jays’ average farm system. That’s extreme depth."

Almora was vastly over rated. Crow-Armstrong is viewed as a better talent and he is unranked.

That is why a top 100 is just a snapshot in time. It by no means that a player will be anything.

Hendricks was never on a top 100 list. Goes to tell you that success is more on the player vs the judges.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Almora was vastly over rated. Crow-Armstrong is viewed as a better talent and he is unranked.

That is why a top 100 is just a snapshot in time. It by no means that a player will be anything.

Hendricks was never on a top 100 list. Goes to tell you that success is more on the player vs the judges.
I'm really struggling to figure out scouts issues with Kilian

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I don't think grading has caught up to the year he is having. I imagine once the year ends he gets bumped to 50/55. And the dude looks MLB ready.
Yeah I can't imagine him not being in the MLB next year unless they suck and don't bring him up for contract control reasons

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Yeah I can't imagine him not being in the MLB next year unless they suck and don't bring him up for contract control reasons
It also vastly changes the return for Bryant, which people are saying we got fleeced on. But it is obvious Killian may have been the best talent/sure thing outside of Madrigal.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
It also vastly changes the return for Bryant, which people are saying we got fleeced on. But it is obvious Killian may have been the best talent/sure thing outside of Madrigal.
Yes I initially was very disappointed but this kid has the makings of a really good starting pitcher. Him and Marquez could bolster the staff with Hendricks.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm really struggling to figure out scouts issues with Kilian
I really don't know. I'm guessing missing a plus pitch.

Control 55 out of 80.
Fastball 55
Curve 55
Cutter 50
Change 50

So I see him as a high floor. Control with 3 pitches that are avove. 2 that are avg. Nothing bad. MLB most likely look at players wirh 60-70 grade stuff to really pump them up.

To be frank. He is a 4 at best. His control is not 60+ . So he will have control of the strike zone but not command.

Control. Able to throw strikes at will.
Command. Able to locate strikes inside the strike zone

Basically is your command the size of a medicine ball or a softball. That is the diffrence. Kyle when on has that level of command.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I really don't know. I'm guessing missing a plus pitch.

Control 55 out of 80.
Fastball 55
Curve 55
Cutter 50
Change 50

So I see him as a high floor. Control with 3 pitches that are avove. 2 that are avg. Nothing bad. MLB most likely look at players wirh 60-70 grade stuff to really pump them up.

To be frank. He is a 4 at best. His control is not 60+ . So he will have control of the strike zone but not command.

Control. Able to throw strikes at will.
Command. Able to locate strikes inside the strike zone

Basically is your command the size of a medicine ball or a softball. That is the diffrence. Kyle when on has that level of command.
Lol at he is a 4 at best