Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Lol at he is a 4 at best
Yeah, control is a real problem. 12 walks & 144 K's in 101 innings. LOL

But, who knows? He may get hammered but he sure won't beat himself with walks.

Another thing you have to ask is how deep are the Giants in pitching? This kid is 24 without a shot yet at the big show.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Control and command are not the same thing.

A 55 means you can pop a strike.

A 60+ means that it will hit the mit with out catcher movement.

That said I feel that he is a solid pitcher. MLB.com must be looking at tools over polish with their evaluations. That is why you take top 100 worth a grain of salt.

That said we could also be talking about a 24 YO mowing down AA hitters. MLB is not AA hitters.

Yet again take it with a grain of salt.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Control and command are not the same thing.

A 55 means you can pop a strike.

A 60+ means that it will hit the mit with out catcher movement.

That said I feel that he is a solid pitcher. MLB.com must be looking at tools over polish with their evaluations. That is why you take top 100 worth a grain of salt.

That said we could also be talking about a 24 YO mowing down AA hitters. MLB is not AA hitters.

Yet again take it with a grain of salt.
Whatd the scouting reports on Hendricks say? He was a fringe prospect that probably wasn't expected to make the MLB

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Whatd the scouting reports on Hendricks say? He was a fringe prospect that probably wasn't expected to make the MLB

probably only a 55 in control too. Just “poppin” in strikes, not hitting mits without catcher movement

:dramatic:

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Exactly. That is why you dont take AA with a grain of salt.

But you can not ignore the fact that Kilian is 24 going up against younger talent.

He does that vs AAA talent I would get hyped up. But even then Abbott strikes them out all day. Then gwts the back hand from MLB talent.

Regardless, until a player gets out in the field in a real stadium vs 2 for 1 hot dog day special games then we will know.

As of right niw. Well he dont suck. Good enough. Im far more intrested in Steel. He has put the big boy pants on and is getting ready to impact now.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
mlb Write up on him. Who knows might end up a TOR. But I will get jazzed up when he plays in MLB stadiums.

Caleb
Kilian
RHP, Tennessee Smokies, AA
Chicago Cubs
Cubs
Top 30

BioStatsNewsVideo
  • BATS
    R
  • DOB
    06/02/1997
  • THROWS
    R
  • HT
    6' 4"
  • DRAFTED
    2019, 8th (236) - SF
  • WT
  • ETA
  • TWITTER
    @cjkilian97

Scouting Grades/Report (20-80 grading scale)​

• FASTBALL
  • CURVEBALL
  • CUTTER
  • CHANGEUP
  • CONTROL
  • OVERALL
A starter on back-to-back College World Series teams at Texas Tech, Kilian turned down the Orioles as 20th-round sophomore-eligible in 2018 before signing with the Giants for an over-slot $397,500 in the eighth round a year later. He didn't surrender an earned run in 16 innings during his pro debut and might have begun to advance quickly in 2020 if the coronavirus pandemic hadn't shut down the Minor League season. He was one of the better pitchers in San Francisco's instructional league camp last fall and dominated in the first three months of this season, reaching Double-A before going to the Cubs with outfield prospect Alexander Canario in a trade for Kris Bryant in July.
Kilian added strength during his layoff and showed increased velocity in short stints at instructs, topping out at 98 mph after usually ranging from 90-95 with his four-seam fastball in college. After battling inconsistency with his breaking balls at Texas Tech, he has added some power to his curveball and scrapped his slider in favor of a shorter, harder cutter. He also exhibits feel for an average changeup.
Kilian's lanky 6-foot-4 frame gave him more projection than a typical college pitcher, and if he continues to make the gains the Giants hoped he would, he could develop into a No. 4 starter. He repeats his athletic delivery and throws all four of his pitches for strikes. He could open 2021 in high Class A and push for a role in San Francisco the following year.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That is why I said #4. That is his projection. That was not a interjection of my opinion.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Him being at AA has more to due with when he was drafted. He's had about 1 full season of minor league baseball at this point and has dominated. It's not like his stuff is mediocre either. He throws upper 90s with a good curve and a cutter that has allowed him to dominate left handed hitting to like a .180 average against. And also has a usable change up. We'll see when he reaches the big leagues, but at this point he's been better than Marquez ever has and we all hope Marquez can be an ace.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Deichmann in the starting lineup today. Excited to see if he can combine his raw power and new found contact and plate discipline.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Canario came over and started ripping it.
324/378/647 with 3 homers.
A 2023/24 outfield of Canario/Armstrong/Davis looking solid. Just two weeks in and this is appearing to shape up this way. Then Alcantara and Caissie to push them.

Last edited:

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Alcantara in 52 at bats at rookie ball:
365/443/577, seems like he is not being challenged at all. Caissie similar slash.

Preciado, at the same level has just slightly worse slash line than Alcantara, South Bend gonna look great next year.

Last edited:

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Canario came over and started ripping it.
324/378/647 with 3 homers.
A 2023/24 outfield of Canario/Armstrong/Davis looking solid. Just two weeks in and this is appearing to shape up this way. Then Alcantara and Caissie to push them.

I saw that. Canario is still K’ing at the same high rate he was before the cubs got him. That’s the only concern

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I saw that. Canario is still K’ing at the same high rate he was before the cubs got him. That’s the only concern
I won't mind it, if we can balance the lineup out with more contact, like it appears we are. Plus I think Canario/Deiscmann, will get pushed to DH eventually when the 16-18 year olds arrive.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I won't mind it, if we can balance the lineup out with more contact, like it appears we are. Plus I think Canario/Deiscmann, will get pushed to DH eventually when the 16-18 year olds arrive.

I won’t mind it if he continues to rake like he has in this small sample size lol

I’d just prefer the kids not already be striking out at 30% clips in the minors. The one nice thing I read was that he wasn’t having trouble with the breaking balls low and away. That he seems to pick up the spin on the ball well. It’s more the high fastballs that seem to give him problems