Cubs Farm System And Prospects Discussion Thread

CSF77

Liked Posts:
MB is A ball now. SB is A+. Eugene league was axed.

This is where he should be right now. 4 years out at 19.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I don't think that they drafted him for his bat. His glove is GG quality.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
With his swing he might shoot up. He has a very short swing for someone his age.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
PCL be crazy yo. Very high run environment

Abbott has talent but his ERA blows.

Stewart had 16 hits off of him in 22 IP.
Abbott 28 hits off of him in 25.1 IP.

Looking at the Cubs Adbert has 39 Hits off of him in 54 IP. No other Cubs starter comes close to this.

Thompson 14 hits in 17.1 IP
Steel 7 hits in 13.1 IP

So there is a common theme to this. H:IP at or below 1:1 is a signal of how good a pitcher can be at the next level.

Steward lacks pure stuff but he moves around the zone and mixes well and with experience he can become a sturdy journeyman type.

Abbott is on the pure stuff side of things. I would ball him up with Maples pre 2021. Needs to refine and keep hitters off the bags vs depending on the strike out to get out of a jam.

Skittles2100

Liked Posts:
Jose Albertos seems to have found himself. I'm not sure if he is starter or relief material, but oh my I have never seen such speed and break in pitches. I see why he struggled with control. What a nasty break! His GB% are down to 48.5% this year and his Pull and LD% are up, but that relates to him hitting more if the strike zone. People were hitting groundballs way out of the zone when they were swinging. It constituted to a higher gb%, but also a much higher babip and a ridiculous Era due to a bb/9 of 8.16. This also is why is hr-fb% was ridiculously low because it was easy to get a walk out of him so why swing for an out? It seems he has taken some break off his pitches in favor of better accuracy. His bb/9 has cut in half while his k/9 has maintained for his 2019 stats. In my opinion, based off of his improvement and his ability to be the most electric pitcher in the system, Albertos will be producing at the AA level by Summer's end. This new minor league revamp has done wonders for the Cubs farm. Alzolay (I know, injuries have held him back tons) and Albertos have really found a rhythm they haven't been able to for years. Albertos could be a nasty filthy closer

Last edited:

CSF77

Liked Posts:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
19 yo. .282/.343/.405 at A ball. Shoot I would push him up to South Bend and let him finish there. Get a challenge.

This kid is what you want in a lead off hitter. Contact uses the whole field. That forces teams to not shift as he will put it in the hole then have SB speed to make them pay. Nice write up on him.

Skittles2100

Liked Posts:
I am excited to see Cristian Hernandez in the DSL this season. His swing is better than some players in the MLB. With some work, he will be a stud. Look at many MLB players, includong Javy, how their back foot will collapse with a swing. On the other hand, Cristian Hernandez uses his back foot as a pivot and directional tool to guide his swing. It is pretty and his bat speed will only increase with age. He is going to be a force one day

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Thanks for that. He has solid tools but his eta is 2025. Next year he should be at MB. Howard is a level above him so I expect the two to pace each other.

Idealistic scenario is Hernandez moved to 3B as he fills into his body. Howard will have competition at SS and will have to start hitting for average to beat out the SD transfers.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Thanks for that. He has solid tools but his eta is 2025. Next year he should be at MB. Howard is a level above him so I expect the two to pace each other.

Idealistic scenario is Hernandez moved to 3B as he fills into his body. Howard will have competition at SS and will have to start hitting for average to beat out the SD transfers.
Ideally Preciado is 3b and one of them can either be corner outfield or CF

Skittles2100

Liked Posts:
P

With his hitting tools, I can see this happening by 2023 or 24 the latest. We haven't seen much of his defense in action though. On the other hand, Ed howard is a defense beast with a rocket arm. All i want is someone like andrelton simmons. A shortstop that can throw 90+ mph on a bang bang play. The guy has accumulated 36.7 WAR in 10 seasons (6 full seasons) mostly off of his defense. And he doesnt strike out 200 times a season. Andrelton makes solid contact and puts the ball in play. Its something this team lacks. We need decent contact to move runners over, not strike out 3 batters in a row with a runner on 2nd and/or 3rd

CSF77

Liked Posts:
P

With his hitting tools, I can see this happening by 2023 or 24 the latest. We haven't seen much of his defense in action though. On the other hand, Ed howard is a defense beast with a rocket arm. All i want is someone like andrelton simmons. A shortstop that can throw 90+ mph on a bang bang play. The guy has accumulated 36.7 WAR in 10 seasons (6 full seasons) mostly off of his defense. And he doesnt strike out 200 times a season. Andrelton makes solid contact and puts the ball in play. Its something this team lacks. We need decent contact to move runners over, not strike out 3 batters in a row with a runner on 2nd and/or 3rd

Like I said. 17 yo. Howard is 19.

This is why I would QO Baez. Cover SS for 2022. 2022 puts Howard at SB. Hernandez being 18 vs MB I wouldn't expect a rush job. I would expect a move to 3B though. Percado would man SS at MB next year. Santana is playing with Howard at MB this year and they would move up to SB together.

So over all they have quality depth coming up. Hit Javy with A QO if he takes it that puts Howard at Tenn in normal progression. They would have the choice to go year to year SS or move Nico over.

But natural progression I would expect 2024 Howard MLB ready and Hernandez on his tail.

If these were college kids sure you can expect a quick progression because 3-4 years came via college play.