Cubs Farm System And Prospects Discussion Thread

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
oh I agree. Rankings are nice and all, but really doesn’t mean much other than maybe better “odds” of success

I remember going to an Iowa cubs/Memphis Redbirds game back when rizzo was at Iowa. I’ll never forget that game, the sound off his bat just sounded different than everyone else’s in that game. I knew right then we had something special. He went 3-4 with 2 doubles and a homer that game
Exactly. That's just the kind of thing that you will never get from any metric.

Skittles2100

Liked Posts:
Cristian Hernabdez stole 3 bags today. Its crazy to see his advanced stats, then realize he is not even 18 yet. Cubs are bound to win more rings in the next decade.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I would say the plan is Davis in RF. He smoked that guy.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Cubs: D.J. Herz, LHP (No. 13)
Herz has emerged as one of the Cubs' best pitching prospects in his first full pro season, using a mid-90s fastball and sharp low-80s slider to go 4-4 with a 3.18 ERA, .152 opponent average and 113 strikeouts in 70 2/3 innings, mostly in Low-A. Signed for an over-slot $500,000 as an eighth-round pick from a North Carolina high school in 2019, he has struck out 29 in 18 1/3 innings with a 1.47 ERA in the last month, including eight whiffs without an earned run over five frames in his High-A debut last Saturday.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So Wick pitched a inning. Strike out. Nothing else.

Hertz is at this level now. Got 5 innings in

So we can expect both at Tenn to start next year. I'm pretty sure both will be fast tracked with their talent

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:

So we can expect both at Tenn to start next year. I'm pretty sure both will be fast tracked with their talent
If Herz, Wick and Kilian could be in the rotation by 2023 that'd be exciting. I'm assuming Marquez ends up in the pen. Alzolay is definitely in the pen. Sign a Frontline starter and we could have a good pitching staff pretty cheap.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:

Herz is an amazing talent. I wouldn't fast track him yet though, still very inefficient and needs to show he can get guys out with fewer pitches.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Referred to as “Baby A-Rod”, Hernandez is a high upside shortstop that the Cubs signed from the Dominican Republic. Per MLB.com, the Cubs believe he may have more upside than both Eloy Jimenez and Gleyber Torres had when they were signed as international free agents in 2013.

In 35 games with the DSL (Dominican Summer League) Cubs Blue team, Hernandez is slashing .277/.389/.429 with four home runs and 18 RBIs. In addition, the 17-year-old has four doubles, a triple, and 15 stolen bases.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
He really pushes off at a 45 deg towards the dugout and comes at a crazy angle. I can see where hitters have fits with that.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Herz is an amazing talent. I wouldn't fast track him yet though, still very inefficient and needs to show he can get guys out with fewer pitches.

I wouldn't concern myself with that part. Jed has been making his starters into 5 inning pitchers then making a deep bull pen. What matters is the 5 innings not getting into late innings.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Killian I can see up next year, he has the makings of a better velocity Hendricks type pitcher but slightly less accuracy.

If he comes up it means that Jed did not invest into the rotation.

Jed has some choices to make. He has two things going for him right now. A small payroll with plenty of spending room. And a few plus pitching prospects.

Common sense says 1-3 year deals. Let contract drop when these pitchers arrive.

Kilian is at AA now. Over all at AA 2.75 ERA in 78.2 IP. This is his first full season as 2019 was 7 games and 2020 was lost. I see him in Iowa for a full year. His career has been pretty scattered to date and I can see a stable year being the right call.

Brailyn Marquez still has not pitches a inning this year. I would push him to closing when he returns. I wouldn't risk his arm going forward and a 100 MPH lefty closer has huge value to the team. They can get him up in 2023 this way with less risk.

Jordan Wicks should be on the fast track. He has clean mechanics and features a change up as his main secondary pitch. That has little wear on the arm and I can see AA-AAA next year and inline for a rotation spot in 2023.

DJ Herz has the making of an ace. 24 games under his belt. 20 YO. holding hitters to a .152 BA in 71 IP. I would want him in A+ moved to AA next year. Get him to 100 IP next year. 2023 I would want him in Iowa and the first call up.

So looking at it logically 2022 the Cubs have Davis dropping off.

Hendricks paid until 2023 with 2024 an option year.
Alzolay has plenty of control going on.
Mills Arb1 in 2023
Steel
Thompson Bubble guy.

They could score a arm. Push Thompson into the pen. Kilian I would add to pen depth in 2023. Bolster the mid inning arms as the goal is 5 innings and a boost to get into the 8th. When Wick gets up push Mills into the booster group. So they would have 3 guys providing 2 innings of work to give the rotation a solid 7 innings every day.

So building this way you would have 2 guys that can get 6-7 every game.
3 guys that need a 2 inning bump.

Then dedicate resource to the 8-9th inning. High velocity arms that shut down teams.

Not to mention having 3 ex-starter is ideal. If a starter craps out early you have some guys that can deal with it better.