Cubs Farm System And Prospects Discussion Thread

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The Chris Sale approach seems ideal this year. Use him as a bullpen piece, get him used to every day major league life and possibly stretch him to SP sometime this year or next year.

The best thing to do is keep him in Azl until May. Let him slowly build up pitch counts and velocity. He ramped up too fast last time and blew up his shoulder. Then send him to Iowa on a starters schedule.

At this point give him something stable. I don't think that he has a rubber band arm like relievers tend to need to survive.

Regardless Killian most likely starts at Tenn and maybe goes 3 games. Warmer weather there. Then both can start in Iowa when the weather is warmer. Last thing the Cubs need is injuring these two kids.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Davis headed to Iowa confirmed.

Marquez should be a slow build up.

Guy to watch should be Wicks. Most evaluators feel that he needs only a year of minor league activity IMO for adjusting to playing a longer season than College players went through. Add to it a college pitcher pitched on a certain day of the week. They were not on a 5 day rotation like the pros. So a year to adjust to the new work load should be expected.

I personally feel that he is a safe bet. Main off speed is a change. Little stress on the arm. High polish type. So not putting high torque on his shoulder and elbow. It was a solid pick for Jed last year.

The player that I will be watching.

Owen Caissie. Big LH bat. Should be at SB this year. He profiles as the Cubs largest need going forward.

So that is where they are at right now. The main part of the next wave will be at SB. Hopefully we see a few of them excelling and pushed up to Tenn sooner than later.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Iowa
Kilian
Abbott
Swarmer
Uelmam
Leiter

Tennessee
Marquez
Jensen
Vizcaino
Remy
Nahas

South Bend
Hertz
Wicks

So Kilian is a cup away.

Marquez is going through the process to prove that his arm is durable.

Tenn has 2 filler rotation spots. Iowa basically has 4. So Wicks could end up seeing 3 levels this year. For him it is more about getting on a 5 day routine vs proving much.

Hertz might get the same treatment if his stuff continues to dominate. 131 SO in 81 IP is filthy stuff. BB at 44 are a legit concern and his anchor going up.

So that is the pic going in. There is a pretty solid shot that 2 of the 4 make the team this year. Wicks is a outside shot. It really depends on how Steel and Thompson perform this year. We know Miley will be gone. Smyly has a opt and gives Jed a choice.

If I had to guess. Kilian break in in Aug.

Marquez moves to Iowa and gets Sept on the Cubs. They will play the slow hand.

Wicks makes 2 jumps and ends up in Iowa. Sept shut down to limit his innings.

Hertz moves up but gets pushed into a pen arm to push his progression. He becomes a high leverage lefty out of the pen and pushes for the closer gig.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Have to wonder why Velasquez isn't in AAA? Had a monster year, he's 23 years old and doesn't seem to have much else to prove.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Have to wonder why Velasquez isn't in AAA? Had a monster year, he's 23 years old and doesn't seem to have much else to prove.

I am not sure myself. I didn't find him on any roster yet. All it shows is assigned to minors. You would think Iowa.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
He isnt on the 40 man rosters so he has been getting ready at minors spring training and will strt year at AAA
Isn’t that a bit risky? Like, couldn’t someone in theory of rule 5ed him this past offseason? Or was there some sort of protection from the mid season trade acquisition? Obviously, at some point this season he will get added

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Isn’t that a bit risky? Like, couldn’t someone in theory of rule 5ed him this past offseason? Or was there some sort of protection from the mid season trade acquisition? Obviously, at some point this season he will get added

Cubs reporter

79 Cubs minor leaguers are eligible for selection in the December 2022 MLB Rule 5 Draft, and 51 Cubs minor leaguers (44 post-2022 6YFA and seven 2022 second-contract players) are eligible to be declared MLB Rule 9 minor league free-agents at 5 PM Eastern on the 5th day after the final game of the 2022 World Series (or at 5 PM Eastern on October 15th if the World Series is cancelled).

Among the notable Cubs first-time Rule 5 Draft eligibles post-2022 are RHSP Caleb Kilian, Ryan Jensen, Kohl Franklin, Michael McAvene, Chris Clarke, and Richard Gallardo, RHRP Cayne Ueckert, INF Chase Strumpf, and OF Brennen Davis, Kevin Alcantara, Yohendrick Pinango, and Cole Roederer, From amongst this group, B. Davis is a virtual lock to get added to the 40 on 11/18 if he isn't called up to MLB during the season (the roster filing deadline will be two days earlier than usual in 2022 because 11/20 falls on a Sunday) and Kilian, Jensen, Franklin, Alcantara, and Pinango are likely to get added with Kilian, Ueckert, and Jensen possible in-season call-ups, but whichever pitchers and position players listed above who are not added to the 40 on 11/18 will very likely be placed on the AAA Iowa reserve list so that they will be eligible for selection in the Major League Phase of the Rule Draft only.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I do feel that this year will dictate a bit on these kids. If this team takes off. Which is unlikely and Heyward continues being a anchor then ya you could expect a Davis call up in June or earlier.

Kilian a safe bet is after the deadline. But yet again. If the Cubs take off and Alzolay is still on the 60 and Miley is still out ya we could see him.

If they are fumbling around then no. Jed will keep on the 40 man depth and hold clocks back.

If they are near .500 and those 2 might push them into a seed ya Jed will promote.

The games have to play out.. But there is little concern over rule V on either player.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Btw. Kilian added a knuckle curve and a change up this off-season. Keep a eye on him as he might dominate AAA.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I do feel that this year will dictate a bit on these kids. If this team takes off. Which is unlikely and Heyward continues being a anchor then ya you could expect a Davis call up in June or earlier.

Kilian a safe bet is after the deadline. But yet again. If the Cubs take off and Alzolay is still on the 60 and Miley is still out ya we could see him.

If they are fumbling around then no. Jed will keep on the 40 man depth and hold clocks back.

If they are near .500 and those 2 might push them into a seed ya Jed will promote.

The games have to play out.. But there is little concern over rule V on either player.
Leave it to you to completely miss what I was asking

I wasn’t asking about this coming offseason. I’m asking about what kept him protected this past offseason since he wasn’t on the 40 man roster obviously

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Leave it to you to completely miss what I was asking

I wasn’t asking about this coming offseason. I’m asking about what kept him protected this past offseason since he wasn’t on the 40 man roster obviously
There was no rule V draft last year.

The rules state by that date has to be protected.

RuleV is just a draft. It normally happens on Dec 22 during the meetings. To be elegible a team has to have the player off of the 40 man by the 5th day after the WS completion.

So in layman's terms.

No draft last year. Due to CBA.
This year teams don't have to worry until after the WS to protect guys.

Last edited:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Regardless.

Iowa opened up yesterday with a loss. Abbott took it.

Today they are up 7-2 in the 8th. Mendez started and pitched 2.2 innings. He seems to be a AAAA floater that Jed grabbed.

Davis has been striking out. Got two walks today but still hitless.

Tenn opens up on the 8th.
South Bend opens up on the 8th also.

Last edited:

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
There was no rule V draft last year.

The rules state by that date has to be protected.

RuleV is just a draft. It normally happens on Dec 22 during the meetings. To be elegible a team has to have the player off of the 40 man by the 5th day after the WS completion.

So in layman's terms.

No draft last year. Due to CBA.
This year teams don't have to worry until after the WS to protect guys.
Thankyou for finally answering my question. And I know that the rule 5 is a draft. It’s literally in the name

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Brennen Davis (MLB No. 15), OF -- Iowa (Triple-A)
Cristian Hernandez (MLB No. 92), SS -- Extended spring training
James Triantos, 2B -- Myrtle Beach (Single-A)
Caleb Kilian, RHP -- Iowa (Triple-A)
Jordan Wicks, LHP -- South Bend (High-A)
Pete Crow-Armstrong, OF -- Myrtle Beach (Single-A)
Kevin Alcantara, OF -- Extended spring training
Owen Caissie, OF -- South Bend (High-A)
DJ Herz, LHP -- South Bend (High-A)
Brailyn Marquez, LHP -- Extended spring training
Reginald Preciado, 3B -- Myrtle Beach (Single-A)
Kohl Franklin, RHP -- South Bend (High-A)
Miguel Amaya, C -- Tennessee (Double-A) -- injured list (Tommy John surgery)
Ed Howard, SS -- South Bend (High-A)
Kevin Made, SS -- Myrtle Beach (Single-A) -- injured list (elbow)
Nelson Velazquez, OF -- Tennessee (Double-A)
Ryan Jensen, RHP -- Tennessee (Double-A)
Alexander Canario, OF -- South Bend (High-A)
Christian Franklin, OF -- Myrtle Beach (Single-A) -- injured list (knee)
Yohendrick Pinango, OF -- South Bend (High-A)
Christopher Morel, OF -- Tennessee (Double-A)
Pablo Aliendo, C -- South Bend (High-A)
Alfonso Rivas, 1B -- Chicago (MLB)
Drew Gray, LHP -- Extended spring training -- injured (Tommy John surgery)
Jordan Nwogu, OF -- Extended spring training
Chase Strumpf, 2B -- Tennessee (Double-A)
Daniel Palencia, RHP -- South Bend (High-A)
Ben Leeper, RHP -- Iowa (Triple-A)
Cayne Ueckert, RHP -- Iowa (Triple-A)
Ethan Roberts, RHP -- Chicago (MLB)

CSF77

Liked Posts:
South Bend is stacked.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Iowa DH today. Samson and Lieter Jr pitching. No news on Kilian. But this year is weird for AAA. They are doing 6 game sets vs a team at home then go away for 6 games to anothet teams park. Then bring another team to their park for a 6 game series.

I'm not really sure how I feel about it. Might be easier on travel costs. Might be implemented.

Just envisioning pick a travel date that is the lowest viewed day on avg. Teams all travel that day then play a 6 game set at a site. Teams start running 6 man rotations. Then they move onto the next site.

It could prove lucrative as fans can set up vacation time to see a week set vs a team that they want to see.

IDK. Might be something.

Last edited: