Cubs intrigued by Yoenis Cespedes

Status
Not open for further replies.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
I can't believe I'm gunna say this, but Phil Rogers was right. He was the first to report the Cubs interest. Sadly, I gotta give him props.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Chase Headley via trade would be a good pickup he is a good defender and he gets on base. We would be a very different team one that doesn't have much power but can play small ball. Something the Cubs never could do under Jimmy.

Headley is an interesting option, and I am not certain I would be opposed to it. I would suggest though that unless this team gets on base at a much higher rate it doesn't matter if this team follows the strategem I prefer (Earl Weaver's wait for the 3 run homerun) or small ball. While it wasn't under Jim Hendry's watch as GM, we had several Cubs team under Don Baylor obsessed with playing small ball. I remember like clockwork how whenever the leadoff guy got on base, Baylor had the next guy bunting him over. Those teams didn't get very far because they weren't very good.

I must admit that this roster is apparently going to be turned over much faster than I thought. It looks very possible that half of the everyday position players will be different than last year.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Castro
Barney
Headley
Fielder
Soriano
Soto (2012 is an even numbered year)
Cespedes
Jackson
Garza

:yeah:

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Shit, just remembered that the Cubs reportedly won't trade Byrd this off-season, so if we get Cespedes, either he or Jackson will have to stay in the minors for a while.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Also reported SDP dont plan on trading Headly

Padres Reluctant To Move Chase Headley
By Mike Axisa [November 12, 2011 at 12:53pm CST]
The free agent market for third basemen drops off after Aramis Ramirez, which is why Ben Nicholson-Smith highlighted potential trade candidates late last month. One of those trade candidates may not be available however, as sources tell Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports that the Padres will be reluctant to move Chase Headley this offseason.

Headley, 27, projects to earn $3MM through arbitration this winter, his second time through the process as a Super Two. His .289/.374/.399 batting line in 2011 masks a drastic home/road split; the switch-hitter hit just .243/.348/.326 at Petco Park but .330/.399/.465 on the road. His career split is just as pronounced. The various advanced metrics rate Headley's defense as comfortably above-average at the hot corner.

The Marlins, Cubs, Tigers, Angels, and Rockies all figure to be in the market for third base help this offseason. Logan Forsythe and James Darnell both made their big league debuts in 2011, but retaining Headley would allow the Padres to be patient with the young duo. They've combined for just 373 plate appearances at the Triple-A level.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Shit, just remembered that the Cubs reportedly won't trade Byrd this off-season, so if we get Cespedes, either he or Jackson will have to stay in the minors for a while.

I think Cubs idiots not trading Byrd. He is AVG at everything. Brings nothing to the table. No speed,powe,OBP. NOTHING

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
Chase Headley via trade would be a good pickup he is a good defender and he gets on base. We would be a very different team one that doesn't have much power but can play small ball. Something the Cubs never could do under Jimmy.
Problem w/ trading for Headley is that the Padres don't want to trade him

Lex L.

Liked Posts:
I think Cubs idiots not trading Byrd. He is AVG at everything. Brings nothing to the table. No speed,powe,OBP. NOTHING

It seems like he has better overall at bats though. It doesnt seem like much in a lineup of free swingers but if you have a lot of guys who consistently have good at bats, it takes a toll on the opposing pitchers.

BTW, I could be wrong about this but it just seems like Byrd has better at bats than most/all the rest of the Cubs hitters. I don't have any data on pitches per at bat in front of me though.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
If the Cubs do sign Cepedes, Byrd will likely be gone.

People act like moves can't be made :lol:

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
A Soriano-Cepedes-Jackson outfield would be great, aside from Soriano of course

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
It's Cespedes, not Cepedes :lol:

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs to work out Cuban’ Yoenis Cespedes |

According to Carrie Muskat, the Cubs will hold a private workout for Cuban star Yoenis Cespedes. The 26 year-old is suppose to be the best player to come out of Cuba. That even includes Reds’ Aroldis Chapman who signed with them 2 years ago. Cespedes is expected to get a contract larger than Chapman’s 6 year, 30.5 million. However, the date of the workout was not announced and if it ever will be.

If the Cubs do in fact want to pursue Cespedes and offer his a contract, there will be competition. About half the clubs do have interest in Cespedes and may be willing to offer a contract more than Aroldis Chapman’s. The team more notably of whom may offer Cespedes a good contract in the Miami Marlins. The Marlins seem to be going out this off-season and wouldn’t surprise me if they offer him a contract close to 40 million or more. Reportedly the Marlins have signed ex Met’ Jose Reyes. Also, the Marlins have made preliminary offers to big time 1B Albert Pujols and P Mark Buehrle.

Cespedes is a speedy OF and is a right-handed hitter. He’s considered a 5 tool player. Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus called Cespedes “arguably the best all-around player to come out of Cuba in a generation.”

Phil Rogers was the first to report the Cubs interest in Cespedes. Yeah I said it. When Rogers first tweeted the Cubs interest I didn’t believe him because no where else has reported the interest and the Cubs did not have any scouts at his public workouts.

However, it’s being reported that Cespedes may not be able to sign with any team for another 2 more months. I believe Cespedes has not filed his paperwork in and that process takes about 2 months. But that report has not been confirmed yet and may be false.

I wouldn’t mind the Cubs signing Cespedes. He looks like the real deal. I don’t know where he would bat, but anywhere 2-5 in the line-up would seems logical. If the Cubs were to call-up top prospect OF Brett Jackson, their OF would become athletic. As both Jackson and Cespedes are labeled as pretty good outfielders. I’m not sure if Cespedes would need time in the minors, but if Cespedes shows he can player over in the USA during spring training, I see him sticking around.

We will probably hear more about Cespedes going forward. Also, with the GM meetings starting tomorrow, more rumors surrounding the Cubs will be heard.

Here’s a video of Cespedes with the bat.
Here’s a video of Cespedes in the field.

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
Last edited:

Lex L.

Liked Posts:
OK, I've had some time to think it over and I, too, am also interested in Yoenis Cespedes. I'd like him to come to Chicago, hang out, and throw the ball around with me a little. Yeah, I can't pay him as much as the Cubs but on the other hand, he won't have to do any of that silly traveling either.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Why would they want Soler more than Cespedes?

Let's get both...

Cespedes, Jackson, Soler, :yeah:

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Oh, I see... it is about the age here... 26 is still pretty young though...

Status
Not open for further replies.