Cubs intrigued by Yoenis Cespedes

Status
Not open for further replies.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
@sahadevsharma
Sahadev Sharma Hearing #Cubs have or soon will have a private workout w/ Cespedes, one source says he'd be 'surprised' if they got involved in bidding war

Depends if they like guy or not

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
It looks the Cubs will make a good offer for Cespedes... They're very serious for him and like him in the OF. I don't know exactly what they will offer for him, but they will be tops in the bidding.

I saw this today, why would Epstein and Hoyer go down to the DR at this time and not try to sign him? It's the busy time now and where they talk players and make moves.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
oooh I dunno..he might be good..better stay away from that

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
MLBTR updates...Cespedes is going to play in the Dominican League for scouts prior to him becoming a free agent. The Marlins are apparently very interested, probably because they'd like a Cuban guy to promote to their demographic.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
0 for 3 with 3 K's so far

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Is this guy even gonna play in the majors this year?

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is this guy even gonna play in the majors this year?

I imagine whichever team signs him will see how he does in the minors for a few weeks before bringing him up.

Mr. Cub

Liked Posts:
I wonder if he'll be like the next Pujols. Or some great player. Pujols is a one of a kind. I don't know much on Cespedes except for what I see on here. Would he be worth taking a shot on?

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wonder if he'll be like the next Pujols. Or some great player. Pujols is a one of a kind. I don't know much on Cespedes except for what I see on here. Would he be worth taking a shot on?

If his price tag has really gone below $35MM, if you're paying that over five or six years, that's not actually a huge investment in baseball terms. If he pans out, you're getting at least Adam Jones-level production for less than market rate, depending on whether you believed that B-Pro article or not. If he doesn't, you didn't actually blow that much money. You're essentially paying for a fairly athletic outfielder for the same price as two more years of aging sucky Soriano.

So I think it's a pretty decent gamble, as long as the price tag is below $35MM spread out over those 5-6 years.

Mr. Cub

Liked Posts:
If his price tag has really gone below $35MM, if you're paying that over five or six years, that's not actually a huge investment in baseball terms. If he pans out, you're getting at least Adam Jones-level production for less than market rate, depending on whether you believed that B-Pro article or not. If he doesn't, you didn't actually blow that much money. You're essentially paying for a fairly athletic outfielder for the same price as two more years of aging sucky Soriano.

So I think it's a pretty decent gamble, as long as the price tag is below $35MM spread out over those 5-6 years.

Ah, so his potential is only like one Adam Jones? I thought with all his hype this dude would be something better. But even if he can be a consistent good player then it would be worth the gamble.

Status
Not open for further replies.