Cubs intrigued by Yoenis Cespedes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ah, so his potential is only like one Adam Jones? I thought with all his hype this dude would be something better. But even if he can be a consistent good player then it would be worth the gamble.

You have to remember that he's older than Tony Campana and he's also played in the Cuban leagues for most of his career, and depending on who you talk to, that's the equivalent of playing in high-A or AA ball. So you have to scout him very carefully. If he's going to command that much money, you'd like to think that the scouts did in fact do their homework.

I misspoke...Campana is actually a few months older, but the point is that Cespedes isn't exactly a "young hotshot" but he's not that old either.

Last edited:

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd rather the Cubs go after Soler. I've always said the Cubs best bet is Soler.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd rather the Cubs go after Soler. I've always said the Cubs best bet is Soler.

He'd probably be cheaper. He's definitely younger, so has time to develop. With Cespedes, he's either the real deal or else it's all downhill from here.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
You have to remember that he's older than Tony Campana and he's also played in the Cuban leagues for most of his career, and depending on who you talk to, that's the equivalent of playing in high-A or AA ball. So you have to scout him very carefully. If he's going to command that much money, you'd like to think that the scouts did in fact do their homework.

I misspoke...Campana is actually a few months older, but the point is that Cespedes isn't exactly a "young hotshot" but he's not that old either.

So it would kinda be like a Fukudome signing? Or anyone from the Japanese leagues? I just don't follow the minors, college or any other lower levels of sports so I never really know who could be good until they are actually good haha So basically it sounds you could either take or leave this guy and it's alright.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
So it would kinda be like a Fukudome signing? Or anyone from the Japanese leagues? I just don't follow the minors, college or any other lower levels of sports so I never really know who could be good until they are actually good haha So basically it sounds you could either take or leave this guy and it's alright.

From my conversations with others, Fukudome was out of his prime by the time he was signed which is why he didn't produce as fans had hoped. Cespedes is younger but if you consider the Japanese leagues to be around AAA level, the Cuban leagues are a step lower as I've said. So again, gotta take all those numbers with a grain of salt.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
From my conversations with others, Fukudome was out of his prime by the time he was signed which is why he didn't produce as fans had hoped. Cespedes is younger but if you consider the Japanese leagues to be around AAA level, the Cuban leagues are a step lower as I've said. So again, gotta take all those numbers with a grain of salt.

So, yeah I would basically say this guy isn't a must and might as well spend the money more wisely. Maybe on some pitching instead. Baseball will always have uses for pitching.

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
Yoenis Cespedes says Cubs have most interest in him.

Yoenis Cespedes told me the Cubs are the team that has shown most interest in him.
https://twitter.com/#!/dSoldevila
dSoldevila Dionisio Soldevila*

there were some Cubs executives in the stadium today. He says Cubs have shown the most interest, but that it's not a sure thing

He says he hasn't received formal offers since he's not a free agent yet. Cubs have taken him to dinner a couple times
Yoeni Céspedes: "Cachorros han mostrado más interés en mi" - DiarioLibre.com

anyone speak spanish?? :shifty:

Last edited:

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Yoenis Cespedes told me the Cubs are the team that has shown most interest in him.
https://twitter.com/#!/dSoldevila

Yoeni Céspedes: "Cachorros han mostrado más interés en mi" - DiarioLibre.com

anyone speak spanish?? :shifty:

Trying to run the article through Google Translate

Here (Just Google Translate, so waldo-esque grammar warning):
SANTO DOMINGO - The Cuban slugger said Cespedes Yoenis attracted the attention of at least six major league teams, but none has shown much interest in hiring him as the Chicago Cubs.

"Of all the teams who have come, the one that has interested me has been the Chicago Cubs," Cespedes said Monday at the Quisqueya Stadium, before the playoff game between the Tigers and the Cibao Eagles Licey.

Cespedes, 27, defected from Cuba six months ago, where he was part of the national baseball team. He led the Cuban league home run and there is speculation that it could receive more than $ 50 million once it comes to free agency in baseball.

At least 10 teams have seen more private shows in the Dominican Republic, where he has hosted since he defected in July.

Meanwhile, Céspedes has played four games with the Eagles and just 15 at-bats have connected an infield hit with five strikeouts for a .067 average.

The Cuban clarified that while the Cubs have been more active than others, does not mean he will sign with them.

"I've eaten a few times with them and talked a lot, but that does not mean it is safe for me to come to sign with them. I'm just telling it like it is, they have shown more interest than others," said .

Were in the stadium on Monday Cubs executives, including director of operations in the country, José Serra.

Cespedes said recently that there are six teams interested in his services: the Cubs, White Sox, Tigers, Orioles, Marlins and Indians.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nobody freak out, just moving this to the rumors forum and merging it with the existing Cespedes thread.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Can we at least rename this thread since it is more than just intrigued at this point?

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Can we at least rename this thread since it is more than just intrigued at this point.

It will be done, m'lord.

Actually let's have bleacherbum do it, I'm probably going to do something snarky :lol:

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
I dont know if I like getting an unproven guy for major $$ but that is just me very risky if we pay him a lot. I heard we just signed one of the other Cubans that we already signed because he is good friends with Cespedes and they were teammates in Cuba.

I hope we go for the other good Cuban aswell if we are going after Cespedes.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I dont know if I like getting an unproven guy for major $$ but that is just me. I heard we just signed one of the other Cubans that we already signed because he is good friends with Cespedes and they were teammates in Cuba.

I hope we go for the other good Cuban aswell if we are going after Cespedes.

I think they'll probably scout the crap out of him as he plays in the Dominican leagues before throwing money at him once he becomes a free agent.

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think they'll probably scout the crap out of him as he plays in the Dominican leagues before throwing money at him once he becomes a free agent.

He's 26, so I wouldn't think the Cubs would give him a lengthy contract. Maybe 4 years max at $6-8 mil per.

Honestly if I were the Sox or Cubs, I'd look more at Soler. He's only 19 and looks like he may have a bigger upside. Plus with both "rebuilding" or "re-tooling", the younger Soler would make more sense IMO.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
The theory is that since they're not blowing all that money on a pricey free agent like Prince Fielder, they will have enough to sign both Cespedes and Soler should they choose to.

No choice but to put trust in the scouting department on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.