Cubs intrigued by Yoenis Cespedes

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
ChiTribRogers Phil Rogers
Cubs are very intrigued by Cuban CF Cespedes. He could become their free-agent priority this time around, if homework checks out.

anyone seen him play? 5 tool player and some say best player from Cuba in generations and think he could be a 30 30 player. I have never seen him play wonder if anyone has and whats your impression.

Rumor is he will command 7 yrs 30+ million and the Marlins are the favorites to get him.(which makes sense good for marketing and such in Miami

Yoenis Cespedes: The Showcase - YouTube!

He looks like a great defender and has speed also has a really good OBP

Last edited:

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Don't know a lot about the guy but seems like everyone is interested. So far I've heard the Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies, Nationals, and Marlins are seriously interested...and now apparently the Cubs.

Hope it works out

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Don't you know speed doesn't count for anything.

85Bears4life

Bears Hall Of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
sounds like fukudome 2.0(with more speed)...just from another country

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's just a Cuban Tony Campana. He's no good. :rolleyes:

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
The only thing that concerns me, other than him being an international player, is his age. Already 26 and it could take some time for him to adjust to playing in the US. It'd be a risk, but if he were to pan out, he'd be a hell of a pickup.

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
I think if our scouts like the guy that Theo goes hard after this guy. Theo said they are only going after free agents this year that A. dont break the bank and B. young enough to grow and be part of the core. At 26 years old he fits the bill on both of these.

You cant find a free agent much younger than 26. I bet we try to get him and trade Byrd either at the trade deadline or this off season.

Fukudome was already 31 just starting his prime when he came over. Cepedes at 26 gives him plenty of time to grow with the team. He would likely hit his prime by the time the Cubs reach contender status.

I dont know much about this guy im just predicting he will be Theo's top target based off what Theo said at his presser.

Last edited:

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
I didn't even post it because it's by Rogers.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I think if our scouts like the guy that Theo goes hard after this guy. Theo said they are only going after free agents this year that A. dont break the bank and B. young enough to grow and be part of the core. At 26 years old he fits the bill on both of these.

You cant find a free agent much younger than 26. I bet we try to get him and trade Byrd either at the trade deadline or this off season.

Fukudome was already 31 just starting his prime when he came over. Cepedes at 26 gives him plenty of time to grow with the team. He would likely hit his prime by the time the Cubs reach contender status.

I dont know much about this guy im just predicting he will be Theo's top target based off what Theo said at his presser.

31 is when your prime is about 3 years over, primes actually tend to be from ages 26-28.

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
31 is when your prime is about 3 years over, primes actually tend to be from ages 26-28.

I disagree in baseball your prime is from 26-33 IMO but it depends on the player really. Most good players will still be able to play highly effectively until mid 30s.

“I think baseball players have a prime age, there’s an age range, starting somewhere around 26-27 and ending somewhere around 31-32 in which you get the best bang for your buck with the player,” Epstein pointed out. “If we do our jobs the right way, we’ll have as many players in their primes, hopefully home-grown, impact-type players who are moving into and still in their prime years. That’s the best formula to building a winning baseball club.”
Theo Epstein

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/cubs/post/_/id/6903/epsteins-formula-blend-stats-with-scouts

Look at Rami's year last year at 33 he is still in his prime.

Last edited:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fukudome and Campana are terrible comparisons to this guy. Fukudome had a great approach at the plate, but lacked power and contact ability. Campana has amazing speed but has no plate discipline and doesn't make enough contact. The fear with Cepedes is the same with any player coming from Cuba that his approach at the plate will be similar to most current Cubs and will be exploited by big league pitchers. Cepedes, unlike Campana, is capable of hitting the ball out of the infield without it bouncing. He certainly sounds like an interesting guy in terms of his physical abilities, and I would love for the Cubs to add him to the mix of young guys that they are starting to develop. However, he is not without risks.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I disagree in baseball your prime is from 26-33 IMO but it depends on the player really. Most good players will still be able to play highly effectively until mid 30s.

Theo Epstein

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/cubs/post/_/id/6903/epsteins-formula-blend-stats-with-scouts

Look at Rami's year last year at 33 he is still in his prime.

The bolded part is true of the era that has just ended, but I am skeptical that players will be able to continue to perform at peak levels well into their 30s without the aid of PEDs.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

Lex L.

Liked Posts:
30 million for 6 years doesnt hurt so bad considering the possible upside. Compared to some of our recent contracts, it's well worth the risk.

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
This is a good thing. The Cubs are exploring all options at getting better, and perhaps the Cubs could really revamp their lineup in a season. Cespedes, Jackson, and another bat would be a third of the lineup that is changed from last year.

Chase Headley via trade would be a good pickup he is a good defender and he gets on base. We would be a very different team one that doesn't have much power but can play small ball. Something the Cubs never could do under Jimmy.

Last edited:

Lex L.

Liked Posts:
The bolded part is true of the era that has just ended, but I am skeptical that players will be able to continue to perform at peak levels well into their 30s without the aid of PEDs.

Yeah, prior to the steroid era, guys would still be productive players into their mid 30s but you didnt see career years at that age. You'd see, say, a guy who was once a 40+ HR hitter hit 20-30 HRs.

But there's one very important thing to keep in mind regarding the steroid era. Prior to the steroid era, there weren't a lot of players who were even lifting weights. It was believed that it would ruin your flexibility and it might screw up your swing. And then, it went from that, practically, directly into the steroid era. We likely don't know the effect devoted weight lifting regimens have on a players career. It might extend their productive years where strength and power is concerned. If you don't believe me, just look at MLB players in the 70s and early 80s compared to, say, MLB players in the early 90s. It's pretty drastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.