Donator
Liked Posts:
Goodbye, Cubs legend.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Breaking News: Cubs Non-Tender Kovie Hill |

I know it’s really not breaking news, but great news. However, breaking news for Cub fans sounds about right. Today was the deadline to tender contracts to arbitration eligible players. The Cubs had 7 players who are eligible. 6 of them receive contracts – U Jeff Baker, SP Matt Garza, 3B Ian Stewart, P Randy Wells, C Geovany Soto and U Blake DeWitt.

All but one was not tender a contract and that’s back-up catcher Koyie Hill. Yeah, Cub fans, you can now cheer with joy. Hill was said to be a popular player in the clubhouse, but he just wasn’t a good baseball player. He struck out way too often and his defense was said to be his strength, but completely decreased last season. Hill manly still had a job because Jim Hendry was good with him and kept him with a job. Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer are doing good by getting rid of Jim Hendry projects/mistakes. Right now, Koyie Hill is a free agent; however, the Cubs can still re-sign him to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training. I actually can see that happening if no team bites for Hill’s services. As of right now, it looks like either Wellington Castillo or Steve Clevenger will be the back-up catcher for the 2012 season. However, there has been talk that the Cubs could sign ex Red Sox Jason Varitek to be the back-up catcher to Geovany Soto. He knows Epstein and Hoyer pretty well. But that’s still to be seen.

Baker, Garza, Wells, Soto and Stewart was obvious getting contract. One name not there is Blake DeWitt. Over the past week or so, there was reports that Blake DeWitt could be non-tender. But the Cubs decided to tender him a contract.

The Cubs have until next year to work out deals with these players or the Cubs and the player will go to arbitration. Ryan Theriot went to one and later was traded. So.. if you want to stay a Cub, figure out a contract!

Shawon_Dunston

Liked Posts:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc&feature=related]NO GOD! PLEASE NO!!! NOOOOOOOOOO - YouTube[/ame]

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
to think Dews thought this clown would be a better backup to AJ.

:troll::andruw:

85Bears4life

Bears Hall Of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is what ill be doing...see ya Hill

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PDIBTS_xDQ]Six Flags Dance - YouTube[/ame]

derosabomb

Joecawks is a dope
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
:crazydance: :crazydance: :crazydance: :crazydance: :crazydance: :crazydance: :crazydance: :crazydance: :crazydance:

JBconway

Liked Posts:
Man, was this one of the worst cubs in history? Has to be top 20 at least

JBconway

Liked Posts:
He was bad, but it is hard to put a backup catcher making nothing as the worst Cub in history.

He just seemed to stick around for years. He's in my top 20. Hell, it's Christmas, I'll put him in my top 25

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
He just seemed to stick around for years. He's in my top 20. Hell, it's Christmas, I'll put him in my top 25

I've got far more hatred for guys like Todd Hundley, Rey Ordonez, Neifi Perez, Augie Ojeda, Aaron Miles, etc., etc. But yes it was annoying that a bad hitting, not great defensive catcher got as much playing time as he did last year and in years past.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I've got far more hatred for guys like Todd Hundley, Rey Ordonez, Neifi Perez, Augie Ojeda, Aaron Miles, etc., etc. But yes it was annoying that a bad hitting, not great defensive catcher got as much playing time as he did last year and in years past.

:yep: His defense was SO overrated.

JBconway

Liked Posts:

Think they were able to hold onto him so long because he made a little less than the wrigley peanut vendors

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Think they were able to hold onto him so long because he made a little less than the wrigley peanut vendors

That is the exact reason he was around. He made nothing in terms of a salary, but now that he was "due" for a raise through arbitration they finally cut ties. Nice story about a former noted prospect finally make it to the big leagues, but certainly was time to move on.

ZDemp34

That One Guy
Liked Posts:
And they wanted to "make sure Welington Castillo is ready" when in reality they shoulda just called him up for good in 2010. Hell, they shoulda just kept Henry Blanco, he was better than Koyie...