Cubs offseason needs/ Talk

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Bellenger would make more sense if he rebounds. At worst he moves to 1B after PCA permotes or goes to RF when Suzuki's deal ends.

But yes the season needs to play out but Happ is a 3-4fWAR guy. Bellenger 5+ fWAR when healthy

I see it as a health issue with him and he rights the ship he is a guy that you invest into as he can play all OF and 1B at plus range.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
It turns into a great big series of "what ifs" truly. The Cubs have roughly 110M before the CBT to fill out the roster for 2024. They have 5 OF in the minors who are all slated to be MLB ready by that time as well. IF so many as 2 do really well in 2023, the Cubs can focus on using that money to go after Machado, Ohtani, and/or Urias along with the many other teams that will be throwing money at them. But if only 1 does well or they all have set backs developing while Bellinger and Happ have good to great years, does the Front Office owe it to the 2024 team to try to bring at least one of them back?

It's certainly a wait and see at this point in time, but they need to start thinking about the options now.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It turns into a great big series of "what ifs" truly. The Cubs have roughly 110M before the CBT to fill out the roster for 2024. They have 5 OF in the minors who are all slated to be MLB ready by that time as well. IF so many as 2 do really well in 2023, the Cubs can focus on using that money to go after Machado, Ohtani, and/or Urias along with the many other teams that will be throwing money at them. But if only 1 does well or they all have set backs developing while Bellinger and Happ have good to great years, does the Front Office owe it to the 2024 team to try to bring at least one of them back?

It's certainly a wait and see at this point in time, but they need to start thinking about the options now.

Machado would be amazing. Long shot but amazing.

But yes much will play out.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Machado would be amazing. Long shot but amazing.

But yes much will play out.

Machado will be an age 31 season and giving up 5 years and 150M should he opt out. He's probably going to be looking for a 6-8 years at 35 M per. Ohtani could legit command a 45M AAV deal. Uris will only be 27 and if he has a year like he's been having, he could get 12 years and north of 500M.

At this point, I'd put a flyer out there for Bauer, but whatever team, if any, takes a shot on him, will have to be willing to put up with the media storms about a guy who was accused of horrible things but there was never enough evidence to prosecute.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Machado will be an age 31 season and giving up 5 years and 150M should he opt out. He's probably going to be looking for a 6-8 years at 35 M per. Ohtani could legit command a 45M AAV deal. Uris will only be 27 and if he has a year like he's been having, he could get 12 years and north of 500M.

At this point, I'd put a flyer out there for Bauer, but whatever team, if any, takes a shot on him, will have to be willing to put up with the media storms about a guy who was accused of horrible things but there was never enough evidence to prosecute.

Cubs need a 3B.

SP is not a huge issue. Hendricks most likely will be delayed so Hayden will have the chance to seal a rotation spot in Apr. Steele improved vastly after talking with Jon Lester and how to use his cutter effectively against RH hitters. The numbers went along with this change

So going in there is question marks as there are a few bounce back guys and a few pitchers that have not sealed the deal yet.

I believe that they are around 81 wins with no progression or break out involved.

Then looking into 2024. Cubs will have Brown, Hertz and Wicks all pushing for rotation slots.

They are in a good place right now and losing both Hendricks and Stroman just creates opportunity.

So I feel that if Bellenger rebounds Jed should try to extend. He has been at the top 1% of players and his fall happened during COVID and a injury. I see him as a solid core hitter that can help David with his ability to move around and shore up weakness.

Adding on. Machado makes sense. Cubs have nothing close for a 3B answer. Manny is also another core hitter that the farm can filter around

Pitching. I would be sorely tempted to hold the deck. Steele and Thompson were pure luck that their talent played out at the majors. Brown, Wicks, and Hertz are higher ceiling types. That doesn't even get into Hayden Kilian and the 2 from last draft that may end up ace caliber talent

This is a bit of a renaissance for the Cubs. The last time that CHC had potential was Wood Zambrano and Prior.

Last edited:

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Cubs need a 3B.

SP is not a huge issue. Hendricks most likely will be delayed so Hayden will have the chance to seal a rotation spot in Apr. Steele improved vastly after talking with Jon Lester and how to use his cutter effectively against RH hitters. The numbers went along with this change

So going in there is question marks as there are a few bounce back guys and a few pitchers that have not sealed the deal yet.

I believe that they are around 81 wins with no progression or break out involved.

Then looking into 2024. Cubs will have Brown, Hertz and Wicks all pushing for rotation slots.

They are in a good place right now and losing both Hendricks and Stroman just creates opportunity.

So I feel that if Bellenger rebounds Jed should try to extend. He has been at the top 1% of players and his fall happened during COVID and a injury. I see him as a solid core hitter that can help David with his ability to move around and shore up weakness.

Adding on. Machado makes sense. Cubs have nothing close for a 3B answer. Manny is also another core hitter that the farm can filter around

Pitching. I would be sorely tempted to hold the deck. Steele and Thompson were pure luck that their talent played out at the majors. Brown, Wicks, and Hertz are higher ceiling types. That doesn't even get into Hayden Kilian and the 2 from last draft that may end up ace caliber talent

This is a bit of a renaissance for the Cubs. The last time that CHC had potential was Wood Zambrano and Prior.
Ummm what?! Are we forgetting the 2016 squad already? That roster was loaded with potential

Castor76

Liked Posts:
If the Cubs couldn't land Machado next offseason, what would you guys think about going after Matt Chapman? He's not the bat but he's had 3 GG seasons and brings good pop.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Correa to the Twins for 6 years. We will probably never see something like this again. What a weird FA for him. 3 different teams signed him

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Ummm what?! Are we forgetting the 2016 squad already? That roster was loaded with potential

Was regarding pitching. As all posted were pitching arms self developed (Prior don't need much)

Bryant was basically the same as Prior. Didn't need much. Baez was not from Theo. In fact Theo let M Golzalez leave via FA and the worst trade in Jed's tenior JD LeMeheu for a garbage 3B that never impacted the roster.

So yes Jed rode some top 4 picks for a few years. All were polished products. This New GM is far better at identifying pitching. Trade and draft. We are starting to see the fruits of his efforts

So the best thing that has happen to the Cubs is promoting Jed and thus getting another person behind the wheel.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If the Cubs couldn't land Machado next offseason, what would you guys think about going after Matt Chapman? He's not the bat but he's had 3 GG seasons and brings good pop.

There was an article on this. Cubs trade for him and send Alzolay and Velasquez. Typical stuff send over guys that are expendable for a 3B that is plus D and power.

Not against it TBH. Wisdom and Hosmer could platoon 1B and give Mervis a shot at DH.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Correa to the Twins for 6 years. We will probably never see something like this again. What a weird FA for him. 3 different teams signed him
He signed 31 years worth of contracts. By the time he's done playing Bobby Bonilla will only have ten more years on the Mets' payroll.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:

Castor76

Liked Posts:
I was just looking at the Correa deal that's posted up on Baseball Prospectus, and Minny got a hell of a deal there. The AAV is up there for the 6 years, but the possible 4 extra are all club options that need availability or good performance to lock in and they aren't anywhere near the price as the first 6 seasons. I'd half hope they put a clause in where he can't slide feet first.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
And.......Swanson the better buy......glad Jed targets value over hype.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So wouldn't it be great if a team signs Bauer to a minor league deal. Just to get buckets of chicken and beer tossed into the field when he hit the mound.

Then cancel him.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Even better?

Dodgers miss the playoffs due to having to eat this deal.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Trey Mancini a Cub. Looks like Mervis is gonna have to knock the cover off the ball in ST to avoid Iowa. Anyway......Two year deal

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Cubs fans got a lil too excited/convinced Mervis was legit it sounds like ?

CSF77

Liked Posts:

I would think this just means Wisdom is at 3B and Mancini is DH. More so about keeping Morel in rotation vs everyday.

Hoerner
Happ
Swanson
Bellenger
Suzuki
Mancini
Hosmer
Wisdom
Catcher platoon

Mervis still could break in. Add a LH bat lower in the line up. But he is more house money vs a savior. So less pressure and can adjust.