Cubs offseason needs/ Talk

CSF77

Liked Posts:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Who are some of the top prospects invited to Major League camp?
Between the 40-man roster and non-roster invitees, the Cubs currently project to have 11 players from Pipeline's most recent Top 30 Prospects list for the ballclub. That group includes outfielder Pete Crow-Armstrong (No.1), outfielder Brennen Davis (No. 2), outfielder Kevin Alcantara (No. 3), righty Ben Brown (No. 7), outfielder Alexander Canario (No. 9), righty Hayden Wesneski (No. 12), righty Caleb Kilian (No. 14), catcher Miguel Amaya (No. 16), first baseman Matt Mervis (No. 21), infielder Chase Strumpf (No. 25) and righty Ryan Jensen (No. 28).

Which players will be participating in the World Baseball Classic?
While rosters for the World Baseball Classic have not been officially announced yet, a few prominent Cubs players who plan on participating include starter Marcus Stroman (Puerto Rico), outfielder Seiya Suzuki (Japan) and Mervis (Israel). Other possibilities include infielder Miles Mastrobuoni (Italy), non-roster pitcher Roenis Elías (Cuba), reliever Rowan Wick (Canada) and outfield prospect Owen Caissie (Canada), among others. More information and details on Classic rosters will be coming soon.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Castor76

Liked Posts:
An interesting thing with Devers contract extension with Boston is that there is no No-Trade Protection within it beyond the tradition 10/5 and he gets a 2 M bonus from any team that trades for him. Not that I think he'd suddenly be on the market or that the Cubs would be looking into him anytime soon, i.e. the 2023 season. I think the biggest thing his extension did from a Red Sox prospective was increase a potential asking price should a team inquire because he's no longer an end of the year rental.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
An interesting thing with Devers contract extension with Boston is that there is no No-Trade Protection within it beyond the tradition 10/5 and he gets a 2 M bonus from any team that trades for him. Not that I think he'd suddenly be on the market or that the Cubs would be looking into him anytime soon, i.e. the 2023 season. I think the biggest thing his extension did from a Red Sox prospective was increase a potential asking price should a team inquire because he's no longer an end of the year rental.

Cubs should be in on Machado if he hits the open market.

Internally Madrigal has been slotted at 3B. Moving to 3rd, Madrigal looks to prove worth

So I'm not sure about the arm part. But I could see some competition if his D is league avg.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Cubs should be in on Machado if he hits the open market.

Internally Madrigal has been slotted at 3B. Moving to 3rd, Madrigal looks to prove worth

So I'm not sure about the arm part. But I could see some competition if his D is league avg.
A mediocre middle infielder moving to 3rd where his arm is a liability, offering you zero power from a prime power position.

Yeah great plan, Cubs!

Stop trying to save face and play the right people.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
A mediocre middle infielder moving to 3rd where his arm is a liability, offering you zero power from a prime power position.

Yeah great plan, Cubs!

Stop trying to save face and play the right people.
Whose the right people? I mean morel is probably the preference but I have my doubts he can play everyday and be decent. If Madrigal can be even decent defensively and be the .300 hitter he's been his entire career when healthy than he's my choice of what they have.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Whose the right people? I mean morel is probably the preference but I have my doubts he can play everyday and be decent. If Madrigal can be even decent defensively and be the .300 hitter he's been his entire career when healthy than he's my choice of what they have.
Well, nonbody will claim Wisdom is Mike Schmidt, but he would be better defensively (by default, I suppose) and his power would help more than Mr. Slappy's singles - IF he can even do that. They acquired two other guys who should be candidates for the job. But no D and no power at 3rd base is hardly a recipe for success.