Cubs offseason needs/ Talk

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Well considering that the Cubs bullpen wasn’t good this past season and that lefty arms like Chafin are extremely hard to come by yeah. And also considering that the Cubs are going to try and go after some of the top free agents this offseason such as Judge I wouldn't exactly call them in "tank mode" but yeah you know everything, Ken Rosenthal. Why would a team that you claim is in "tank mode" go after the top free agents? Pick up a book clown.
You referred to the Cubs as "in win now mode" when referencing the Chafin trade, which was when they were in full tank mode..

You also make Chafin sound like Mariano Rivera.

2023 is far different than 2021. Tank mode is followed by rebuilding. This isn't that complicated.

Bearsy555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You referred to the Cubs as "in win now mode" when referencing the Chafin trade, which was when they were in full tank mode..

You also make Chafin sound like Mariano Rivera.

2023 is far different than 2021. Tank mode is followed by rebuilding. This isn't that complicated.
You Guys are right, after further educating myself I take back what I said and took down the post. Sorry guys

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They are about to make some moves this off season accelerating the rebuild. Kinda how it works.....you have to tear it down to rebuild it properly. The only thing most of us didn't care for was letting Schwarber walk when they knew the DH was near. He could DH for another 5 or 6 years....that shouldn't have been an issue in the rebuild. I mean they are looking at fucking Abreu to DH who will be 36 before Spring training!

Bearsy555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They are about to make some moves this off season accelerating the rebuild. Kinda how it works.....you have to tear it down to rebuild it properly. The only thing most of us didn't care for was letting Schwarber walk when they knew the DH was near. He could DH for another 5 or 6 years....that shouldn't have been an issue in the rebuild. I mean they are looking at fucking Abreu to DH who will be 36 before Spring training!
Yeah man, I'm glad we can agree on that. Letting schwarber go was a huge mistake and it is going to be painful to watch him slug it up in Philly

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
So we know Contreras will get the QO at just over 19 million. Most players decline so I expect him to decline as well. But I also don't expect him to get the contract he expects to get.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
NOVEMBER 6: All eligible players can officially file for free agency, though even though this technically marks the start of free agency, players still aren’t allowed to negotiate with anyone but their current team. During the five days until the full opening of the free agent market, teams and players must make their contractual decisions about any club options, player options, opt-outs, and mutual options. The trade market also fully re-opens today, and it is rare but not totally uncommon to see a prominent swap take place as soon as the market opens.

NOVEMBER 7-10: The annual GM meetings, this year taking place in Las Vegas.

NOVEMBER 10: The free agent market officially opens, and free agents are now free to negotiate and sign with other teams. This is also the deadline for option decisions, as well as the deadline for teams to issue qualifying offers to eligible free agents. MLBTR’s Anthony Franco recently examined which players are most likely to receive the one-year, $19.65MM offers from their current teams, and which players represent trickier decisions for the clubs.

NOVEMBER 14-17: Awards week begins, as the league announces the results of one major award on each of these four days. The Rookie Of The Year winners are revealed on the 14th, the Manager Of The Year winners on the 15th, the Cy Young Award winners on the 16th, and finally the league MVPs on the 17th. Many players can earn extra contract bonus money based on high finishes in these awards races, but there is an extra hot-stove element this year. Due to the Prospect Promotion Incentive plan included in the new Collective Bargaining Agreement, the top two finishers in AL and NL ROY voting will receive a full year of Major League service time, regardless of how much time they actually spent on their clubs’ active rosters.

NOVEMBER 15: The deadline for teams to set their 40-man rosters in advance of the Rule 5 draft. This usually involves adding some prominent minor leaguers onto the 40-man to prevent their selection in the R5, and several clubs might be looking to swing trades to free up 40-man space and ease any possible roster crunch.

NOVEMBER 18: The non-tender deadline, as teams must decide by this date whether or not to tender contracts to arbitration-eligible players. This date represents a notable difference to the regular offseason calendar, as the non-tender deadline is usually in late November or early December. Given the closer proximity to the 40-man roster decision date, it seems quite possible we could see some earlier non-tender decisions than usual, so teams can free up more roster spots.

NOVEMBER 20: The deadline for the free agents issued qualifying offers to decide whether or not to accept the QO.

DECEMBER 4-7: The annual Winter Meetings, this year taking place in San Diego.

DECEMBER 7: The Rule 5 Draft, returning to its usual date on the final day of the Winter Meetings. Last year’s Rule 5 Draft was canceled due to the lockout, marking the first time since 1891 that some form of the R5 didn’t take place.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not to mention you play in the smallest 'band box' in the major leagues. Rizzo's average has been down but his 32HR's are more than likely 40+ in Wrigley too. I understand not keeping everyone but these two good soldiers were insanely popular HR hitters on a team that has to have HR hitters to succeed.
Hoyer said the team will pursue "intelligent spending" going forward,whatever TF that is while Schwarber wins the NL HR crown and blasts em into the stratosphere in the WS. You gotta pay somebody in BB and the luxury tax should allow a billionaire family to pay em all if they want to(within reason) but they want a new sports book to go with the new hotel instead.
Darvish,Rizzo and Schwarber all helped their new teams reach their LCS' and all four LCS teams outspent the MLB team in the game's 2nd biggest market by 60M or more.............will the 2.6M even notice?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not to mention you play in the smallest 'band box' in the major leagues. Rizzo's average has been down but his 32HR's are more than likely 40+ in Wrigley too. I understand not keeping everyone but these two good soldiers were insanely popular HR hitters on a team that has to have HR hitters to succeed.
Hoyer said the team will pursue "intelligent spending" going forward,whatever TF that is while Schwarber wins the NL HR crown and blasts em into the stratosphere in the WS. You gotta pay somebody in BB and the luxury tax should allow a billionaire family to pay em all if they want to(within reason) but they want a new sports book to go with the new hotel instead.
Darvish,Rizzo and Schwarber all helped their new teams reach their LCS' and all four LCS teams outspent the MLB team in the game's 2nd biggest market by 60M or more.............will the 2.6M even notice?
Wrigley isnt a band box and hasnt been for years. It ranks 21st in park factors. You spew some weird garbage that you dont know what you are talking about. They all still have as many rings as they did when they were Cubs.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Wrigley isnt a band box and hasnt been for years. It ranks 21st in park factors. You spew some weird garbage that you dont know what you are talking about. They all still have as many rings as they did when they were Cubs.
Wow. He has a complete unawareness of the famous short porch in Yankee Stadium. Rizzo had a three HR game this year in which all three were fly outs if in Wrigley. But somehow 32 in that bandbox becomes 40+ in Wrigley! :ROFLMAO:

TL1961

Liked Posts:
"the luxury tax should allow a billionaire family to pay em all if they want to"

Did you mean to say a billionaire family should be able to afford a luxury tax, or do you really mean the tax will help them afford players?

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Are you part of the Ricketts family or just one of the 2.6M ..........I suspect the later.
Awfully insulting for a mod too when a simple correction would have sufficed!

A lot of the new parks are smaller now but few if any have the prevailing 30mph SW wind.

Go ahead and enjoy the billionare's "intellegent spending" while the good teams almost double it........win or lose.......we booze.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
"the luxury tax should allow a billionaire family to pay em all if they want to"

Did you mean to say a billionaire family should be able to afford a luxury tax, or do you really mean the tax will help them afford players?
Don't other big market teams spend over and pay a luxury tax because of it?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Are you part of the Ricketts family or just one of the 2.6M ..........I suspect the later.
Awfully insulting for a mod too when a simple correction would have sufficed!

A lot of the new parks are smaller now but few if any have the prevailing 30mph SW wind.

Go ahead and enjoy the billionare's "intellegent spending" while the good teams almost double it........win or lose.......we booze.
So, you still spewing non sense and have nothing to back it.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Wow. He has a complete unawareness of the famous short porch in Yankee Stadium. Rizzo had a three HR game this year in which all three were fly outs if in Wrigley. But somehow 32 in that bandbox becomes 40+ in Wrigley! :ROFLMAO:
I admit to being unaware of most of the new park's dimensions but the Wrigley 'band box' was an accepted axiom back in my 'Dick Selma bleacher bum' days. It may have been inaccurate back then as well but I knew how many outs there were in an inning.....how many of the 2.6M can say the same now?

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So, you still spewing non sense and have nothing to back it.
I admitted to being unaware of most of the new park's dimensions if that placates you but are you saying Wrigley hasn't had a reputation as a HR hitter friendly park?

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Typical misconception of Wrigley.....when the wind blows out, it plays small.....when it blows in, it plays as big as any park in baseball. The fact is, the wind blows in far more than it blows out. Not the biggest HR park even in the division....Wrigley is 4th. Not even the biggest HR park in Chicago.....more were hit on the south side.

"Built originally for the Chicago Whales of the Federal League in 1914, Wrigley Field (then known as “Weeghman Park”) didn’t begin to resemble its current day form until 1938. That was the point at which the oddly off-center bleachers were added to the outfield, along with the taller-than-average brick walls covered with ivy. Wrigley Field is no doubt a classic one-of-a-kind stadium with a rich history rivaled only by Fenway Park among active venues. But as much as it’s appreciated historically, Wrigley is just as interesting for how it influences the game on the field.

  Perhaps its most notable in-play feature is how receptive it is to the strong winds that blow into and out of nearby Lake Michigan. Average wind speed is about 11 mph (2nd highest in MLB) and its strong effect on fly ball distance is not closely matched by any other park. BallparkPal estimates the difference between an in-blowing 10-mph wind and an out-blowing one to be 22.9 feet of carry (the next closest is Citizens Bank Park at 13.9 feet).

  Although wind direction is highly variable from day-to-day, it tends to blow from the right (41%) more often than from the left (26%), and it blows in (52%) more than it does out (32%). Temperature also tends to vary a decent amount over the course of a season as games below 60 degrees are just as common as those played in 80 and above. While Wrigley Field’s central tendency is to play as a pitchers park, it can just as easily set up as the most favorable park for hitters on a given day. Overall, the North Side Chicago venue ranks #1 in all of MLB in variability and it isn’t particularly close.

  Also unmatched by any other is its peculiar shape. Wrigley has the deepest foul pole measurements in MLB (354 to left, 355 to right) and the corners of the field are guarded by 16-foot tall walls on each side. As difficult as it is to hit a home run down the line, the types of fly balls that make it into the left field bleachers can sometimes be considered criminal. Although the fence is about 3 feet taller than average, the ‘368’ sign in shallow left-center field marks one of the top HR spots that exist among active stadiums."