Cubs offseason needs/ Talk

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I doubt it. If they are wrong then this could be the all time trade that should have never been entertained.

I think that we have to look at this situation realistically.

Mervis will be at spring training.
He is not on the 40 man roster.

So he would have to win a roster spot causing another to get bumped off.

As it is they already have to dump a player off the 40 for Hosmer.

So I see the writing on the wall. Mervis will be at Iowa most likely and most likely will have to crack the 40 man in season.

Last edited:

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I mean I dont get it. I get his value may be higher than it will ever be but what team eats into that? Theo and Jed traded for Rizzo cause that was Jeds boy who he drafted so he had a connection. Mervis I dont think would bring back anything that big so I dont get it. I feel like off season wanna be GM talk but could be wrong.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I mean I dont get it. I get his value may be higher than it will ever be but what team eats into that? Theo and Jed traded for Rizzo cause that was Jeds boy who he drafted so he had a connection. Mervis I dont think would bring back anything that big so I dont get it. I feel like off season wanna be GM talk but could be wrong.

Just assuming IMO. Jed most likely sit on this and breaks him in late apr.

I can see him having more depth for pitching. When the starters get their innings up then we might see a change

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I agree. This is just filler for Cerami.

Even with his 2022, Mervis isn't considered one of the Cubs best prospects. We all hope he will do well, but what team gives up something of value for him right now?

Conversely, if he is considered a good prospect, why would a team with needs at 1B and DH trade him?

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I agree. This is just filler for Cerami.

Even with his 2022, Mervis isn't considered one of the Cubs best prospects. We all hope he will do well, but what team gives up something of value for him right now?

Conversely, if he is considered a good prospect, why would a team with needs at 1B and DH trade him?
They won't till they find out what exactly they have in him.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Wild guess opening day line up

Hoerner 2B
Happ LF
Swanson SS
Bellenger CF
Suzuki RF
Hosmer 1B
Wisdom 3B
Gomes C
Madrigal DH

Stroman SP

Mervis would have to force Jed's hand in spring training. As of right now he will have to bump one guy off for Hosmer. Then another for Mervis. But it is easier to give DH to Mad and just let him rebuild value to be a trade chip. Right now his value is zip. Injuries and noodle arm limits him to 2B.

But Mervis and Slaughter at Iowa does make good sense in 23. Holds back for next wave and both have to prove that 22 was not one and done.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
A slap happy singles hitting DH with no power. What a dream.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
A slap happy singles hitting DH with no power. What a dream.
I have zero issue with him DHing if he hits 300 like he has most of his career. But I'm pretty certain mervis will be dh pretty early. Madrigal probably gets traded at some point because he doesn't really have a spot on this roster. He should be starting somewhere if he can stay healthy

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I have zero issue with him DHing if he hits 300 like he has most of his career. But I'm pretty certain mervis will be dh pretty early. Madrigal probably gets traded at some point because he doesn't really have a spot on this roster. He should be starting somewhere if he can stay healthy
Not a stellar defender but if he could manage to draw a few more walks....he'd be the best lead off man on the current roster. DH could work well for him.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Not a stellar defender but if he could manage to draw a few more walks....he'd be the best lead off man on the current roster. DH could work well for him.
Everybody would be better if they drew more walks, but it just doesn't happen nearly enough.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Would be rather pointless. Davis at AAA. PCA at AA. Suzuki under control.

Jed should slap a Q and take another pick.

If Happ was a plus D 3B then completely different story. He has played there but not enough to consider it.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I certainly wouldn't extend him now but Bellinger is likely only gonna be here this year. If he hits well, he'll look for big bucks ...if he sucks, the Cubs won't bring him back. Plus if either or both of the kids aren't the real deal, they will be woefully short in the OF. I think they should let things play out and see what happens this year with Happ.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I certainly wouldn't extend him now but Bellinger is likely only gonna be here this year. If he hits well, he'll look for big bucks ...if he sucks, the Cubs won't bring him back. Plus if either or both of the kids aren't the real deal, they will be woefully short in the OF. I think they should let things play out and see what happens this year with Happ.
If bellinger is good, I'd probably opt to extend him over Happ. Happ is a low ceiling player to begin the roster building. He does a lot of things well but nothing great. He's pretty replaceable and there's comparable players every year in FA

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If bellinger is good, I'd probably opt to extend him over Happ. Happ is a low ceiling player to begin the roster building. He does a lot of things well but nothing great. He's pretty replaceable and there's comparable players every year in FA
That's a pretty big if..... he's been Jason Hayward for the last three seasons. It's not impossible, but it's pretty unlikely.