Cubs offseason needs/ Talk

CSF77

Liked Posts:

1. Hendricks may not be ready by Opening Day

Hendricks has started on Opening Day in each of the last three seasons, but that streak looks likely to end. In his comeback from a right shoulder issue, Hendricks' throwing program may extend beyond the March 30 opener against the Brewers.

And that is fine with Hendricks.

"It's not important," Hendricks said. "I'm pushing, you know? I'm going to try and take full advantage of my program. But we're really not putting a day on it. So, if it comes sometime in April, May, I just really want to be there and be 100 percent for these guys. And I know we're going to be there at the end of the season."

2. Happ, Hoerner signed, but extension talks still possible

The Cubs reached one-year deals with All-Star outfielder Ian Happ ($10.85 million) and infielder Nico Hoerner ($2.525 million) on Friday to avoid arbitration, but president of baseball operations Jed Hoyer said "there is a desire" to keep discussing extensions with the players.

In the past, the Cubs have tried to use Spring Training as a time to hold extension talks with their players, but Hoyer would prefer to use the rest of the winter to negotiate on that front. By no means would the arrival of Spring Training be a hard deadline, but Hoyer would like to avoid distractions.

"Once we get into the real part of Spring Training, I'd like to avoid that," Hoyer said. "I feel like, let those guys focus on baseball at that point by not having that hanging over their head. I think I've obviously learned a lesson a little bit.

"I feel like I definitely want to change the timing of that. And it's hard, because you're working on so many other things. But trying to get it done before spring, I think, makes a lot of sense."

3. Mervis to play for Team Israel in World Baseball Classic

Slugging first-base prospect Matt Mervis (No. 21 on Pipeline's Top 30 Cubs list) has been given permission by the Cubs to suit up for Team Israel in the World Baseball Classic. Israel will be part of Pool D, which plays the first round of games from March 11-15 in Miami.

Mervis could be competing for an Opening Day job this spring with Chicago, but felt he could benefit from playing in a higher-intensity environment and in a pool featuring teams with many MLB stars and "the best pitching I've ever seen."

CSF77

Liked Posts:
2. What’s next for the Cubs after the Mancini deal?

The Cubs bolstered their lineup this weekend by landing first baseman Trey Mancini on a two-year deal with an opt-out after 2023. With Mancini signed, the position player corps on the North Side appears to be relatively set, barring a trade that clears space or perhaps the acquisition of a bench outfielder. That doesn’t mean the Cubs are done, however. While owner Tom Ricketts recently talked about being “strategic” about when to cross the luxury tax threshold, the club still has just under $12MM to work with before paying into the tax, per RosterResource. After both Nico Hoerner and Ian Happ avoided arbitration last week, it’s possible that even if the Cubs decide to pursue an extension with either player this offseason, any agreement reached wouldn’t impact this season’s luxury tax figure, as is the case with Boston’s extension of Rafael Devers.

One place where the Cubs seem primed to make a move that would impact the 2023 luxury tax line is the bullpen. Chicago is rumored to be interested in Matt Moore and Andrew Chafin, the two top lefty relievers remaining on the market. While the Cubs have done well in recent seasons turning reclamation relievers into successes, a more established arm would certainly make sense in a bullpen that largely lacks a player like that outside of Brad Boxberger. If Moore and Chafin are out of Chicago’s price range, there are still other interesting lefties available to take pressure off Brandon Hughes in 2023: Zack Britton, Brad Hand, and Will Smith are all still available and could bring closing experience to a projected Cubs bullpen without much of it.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
I think the plan for Mervis is to play him in Iowa so he is getting regular playing time versus being in some sort of platoon at the MLB level. I have no idea how the 40 man would work with respect to Mervis versus the Rule 5 draft. I truly expect if Mervis repeats his minor league performance in 2023 then he's all over the main roster.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I think the plan for Mervis is to play him in Iowa so he is getting regular playing time versus being in some sort of platoon at the MLB level. I have no idea how the 40 man would work with respect to Mervis versus the Rule 5 draft. I truly expect if Mervis repeats his minor league performance in 2023 then he's all over the main roster.

50/50 at this point. The fact that Jed did not target a pure smasher this off-season leads us to believe that Mervis is not being blocked at DH.

Swanson and Bellenger run prevention.

They were not signed to crush the ball. Wisdom too much swing and miss.

So Mervis has a gig at DH that he can just take. Jed protected himself with Hosmer and Mancini. But in reality Mervis continues to rake Jed has no reason to hold him back.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Probably at least worth waiting to see what Hosmer does before assuming that. Personally I think Hosmer is a better player than Mancini
Neither one has done much since 2019 which is why Im hoping Mervis steps up this spring. I mean, if this team is truly rebuilding.....let's get some young players on the field. I'm getting tired of them wheeling these 30ish veterans into camp. If you are on the brink of something, then sure.....bring them in.....but this isn't a championship team in any way, shape or form.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Neither one has done much since 2019 which is why Im hoping Mervis steps up this spring. I mean, if this team is truly rebuilding.....let's get some young players on the field. I'm getting tired of them wheeling these 30ish veterans into camp. If you are on the brink of something, then sure.....bring them in.....but this isn't a championship team in any way, shape or form.
Mervis is young and came on like wildfire. They dont block him if he continues, but what they can do is teach him.

Both are professionals that have had success in the big leagues for a while. Its not a bad spot for him to learn and considering he is not a real good first baseman needs fine tuning.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Mancini: Career wise pretty equal wRC+, 111/112 Really like this signing BTW.

Hosmer 82 vs L. 119 vs R. So He really needs a platoon at 1B.

We don't know what to expect from Mervis. Minor leagues is not the majors so those numbers may or may not translate.

As of right now he is not on the 40 man. Not to mention Jed gave him the AOK to play in the world classic. So it leads me to believe that he wants better quality pitching for him to match up against. Collect that data. Get him in ST thus collecting more data. and go from there.

My main concern is injury. There is a long track record of players turning up injured going to the world classic. But in this case Mervis is just house money. Jed can go with him or not at this point.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Sox desperate for a 2nd baseman. DO IT!

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I see no reason to trade him. The only thing stopping him from producing is injuries. Sure, he never going to be a superstar but he isnt a waste of a player
Certainly not right now. No guarantee Morel is the real deal....we saw that a portion of a season played doesn't mean much as in Schwindel. You need some depth over 162 games. Besides....a bit of a long shot here....but he could be the leadoff guy they've been looking for since Fowler while hitting out of the DH slot. His value isn't particularly high at this point so you won't be losing much of anything by waiting to see if he is needed or not.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Certainly not right now. No guarantee Morel is the real deal....we saw that a portion of a season played doesn't mean much as in Schwindel. You need some depth over 162 games. Besides....a bit of a long shot here....but he could be the leadoff guy they've been looking for since Fowler while hitting out of the DH slot. His value isn't particularly high at this point so you won't be losing much of anything by waiting to see if he is needed or not.

No place to really play him and DH is better utilized with Mancini.

The issue with Mad is his noodle arm limits him to 2B. Morel has a cannon and can play 2B, 3B, SS, and all 3 OF spots.

So looking at this situation the right offer presented itself hell yep. Cubs can always use a vet arm in late innings. That is going to be a issue going into 2023. Box is the only preven late inning arm. Cubs have some talent there but none are proven stoppers and Wick shat himself last year.

So ya Sox want to flip a proven arm for a 2B shoot. Yep

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

The issue with Mad is his noodle arm limits him to 2B. Morel has a cannon and can play 2B, 3B, SS, and all 3 OF spots.

So looking at this situation the right offer presented itself hell yep. Cubs can always use a vet arm in late innings. That is going to be a issue going into 2023. Box is the only preven late inning arm. Cubs have some talent there but none are proven stoppers and Wick shat himself last year.

Lmao.......yet another classic bad take coming from Schwindel's biggest fan. I'm sure the Sox will be more than happy to throw a "proven" arm to the northside for a guy who hasn't played more than 59 games in a season over three years.

Bwahahahaha.......your golden. Yep.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

There is always places to play players. The Dodgers have done it for years. Depth equals winning. We dont live in the age of one set lineup. That is gone and is never coming back

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
There is always places to play players. The Dodgers have done it for years. Depth equals winning. We dont live in the age of one set lineup. That is gone and is never coming back
You got that right. MLB is getting more and more like the NFL with so many situational players. No more set lineups you send out there daily....no more starters going 8 or 9 innings....all kinds of righty vs lefty lineups and vice versa. At some point it won't be 100 pitches anymore either. It'll be starter 4/5 innings, middle 6/7, setup 8 and closer 9. The DH allows for bigger pitching staffs and guys like Ross will use them. The deeper your team is the better.