1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Red-hot Cubs....

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dont trade them. Let them ride. The leage is frugal right now and those packages wouldnt be worth it. Man, fans make sports and Baez feeds off energy. This team is as fun to watch in a long time. Lets the core have one more go. I know, they have had spurts before but this has a different feel. There is dog in them. There is fight. Thats what they were in 15 and 16. The lineup is more balanced. Bullpen is fucking lights out. Remember, Cleveland plays in the Series cause Francona played the bullpen game the whole playoffs. Best record in the NL this month and only one game lost by more than a run. Thats good ball to watch.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Dont trade them. Let them ride. The leage is frugal right now and those packages wouldnt be worth it. Man, fans make sports and Baez feeds off energy. This team is as fun to watch in a long time. Lets the core have one more go. I know, they have had spurts before but this has a different feel. There is dog in them. There is fight. Thats what they were in 15 and 16. The lineup is more balanced. Bullpen is fucking lights out. Remember, Cleveland plays in the Series cause Francona played the bullpen game the whole playoffs. Best record in the NL this month and only one game lost by more than a run. Thats good ball to watch.
They've fooled me so many times over the last several years that I am having a hard time buying in. But the offense does feel different than before. I still don't believe they are world series level and would hate to lose some of these guys for the qualifying offer

TL1961

Liked Posts:
yeah, but the cubs also don’t need to have an albatross of a contract. They are almost done with their current one(heyward)
It's not an albatross if the player is one of baseball's best. You can go get a lot of cheap players, but you'll suck.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I don't know if it's just happenstance or if jed taking over changed stuff but i admire the effort the cubs have done with very little resources this year and so many injuries.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I would rather let it ride. June is going to be hell. If they keep the pace and get healthy over the month they will be in a good place come the ASG.

On the game I found it interesting that David kept Thompson in for that long. It almost felt like Khol has been pitching as a starter but the guy they want in the rotation is Thompson and they are using Khol as a bridge to increase Thompson's workload.

Seeing both. Khol was a bit lucky. He did move the ball around the zone but for the most part was low 90's and his offerings really lacked explosiveness. 93MPH was his peak velocity.

Thompson sat 95 and his breaking pitches had more bite to them. It felt like next time around we might see Keegan slotted into Williams's spot.

Wisdom was surprising but just like Khol, time will be his enemy. The more time in the majors the more info taken in and all that is left is talent to survive. Both are journeyman types. So it might be better to keep the success short.

I see Williams's injury as an opportunity to get Keegan in the rotation early. That is where he belongs. Rizzo should be back and that removes Ortega. So that issue improves.

2B has been fine. I'm good with Sogard as he is a gamer. Nico is all star level of play that is the loss. Not that going to Sogard is killing them.

Heyward returning it really depends on what comes back. 2020 or 2021. 2020 Heyward is a improvement to any other scenerio. 2021 I would rather have him being the 4th OF.

Now on the money issue if they did commit to resigning.

It can work. They are on the hook for 58M in 2022. Jed should be at 150-200M to spend.

Let's say that he has 100M to invest.

Bryant would cost 300M but Jed could work a payment plan that spans 14 years. He plays until he retires and the rest is paid out until the contract ends. That would cost 21.5M AAV. until 2035.

Baez I wouldn't resign. He is a bad investment. Sorry S. I love the guy but the Cubs have solid depth at SS upwelling and locking up SS into a player that is fighting Gallo for the strike out lead is a bad move. They are better targeting Seimans as he would cost less in AAV and years. The Cubs need a bridge not a dam at SS.

Rizzo we feel his loss in his glove at 1B. Bryant is passable. Rizzo is a vacuum. But that is not worth 26M. 20 sure. He is a tier 2 talent and 20M is worth that. The down side is his health and his power has been in decline for a few years now. Even in the juiced 2019 he fell short on his Hr output of 2014-17.

Most I would do is 4/100. Give him a nice payday for age 32-36 then move Bryant from RF to 1B.

The rest I would let it play out.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Bryant has been one of the best in baseball for what 8 weeks?

He is not doing anything that he has not done before. This is not like a late bloomer and you roll the dice. It is more-so he is getting back to who he is.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
He is not doing anything that he has not done before. This is not like a late bloomer and you roll the dice. It is more-so he is getting back to who he is.
He has only had one bad year. One so so year for him and a good but not great year. He had injuries to his shoulder which zapped some of his power. He worked really hard this off season on hitting the high ball. That was his biggest weakness. Upper strike zone with good velocity. Its paying off

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
There are currently 10 teams with bigger payrolls than the Cubs. Of those 10, I'd estimate only the Yankees, Dodgers and the Red Sox have a larger influx of incoming capitol than the Cubs. Hotels, restaurants, rooftop seating, Marquee....plus they own their ballpark.....Ricketts cries poor and claims they are trying everything to win with limited funds. That is complete bullshit. He wants one thing....to make lots of money.

I can't believe I'm even thinking this but I gotta believe even Reinsdorf isn't that much of a lowlife by comparison.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
There are currently 10 teams with bigger payrolls than the Cubs. Of those 10, I'd estimate only the Yankees, Dodgers and the Red Sox have a larger influx of incoming capitol than the Cubs. Hotels, restaurants, rooftop seating, Marquee....plus they own their ballpark.....Ricketts cries poor and claims they are trying everything to win with limited funds. That is complete bullshit. He wants one thing....to make lots of money.

I can't believe I'm even thinking this but I gotta believe even Reinsdorf isn't that much of a lowlife by comparison.
It was a smart move to not spend this off season. Teams that spend are at the beginning of their window, like the Padres and White Sox. At this point in our window you do what you can to cut players that won't be at their peak in the next window. There were too many question marks to spend and possibly finish outside of the playoffs.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
It's not an albatross if the player is one of baseball's best. You can go get a lot of cheap players, but you'll suck.

youre missing the point. He will produce at a level that warrants that type of pay for roughly the next 4 years. After that, you’re paying for previous performance on now diminished goods. Considering boras is his agent, we are looking at being locked in around 8 years for a contract for the guy likely. So you’ll be paying large sums of money every year to an aging power hitter. That typically does not end well. Now granted, it’s not my money so I don’t really care about the money. But, knowing that the cubs DO operate under a budget...I’d rather they not tie it up in a soon to be 30 year old hitter for the next 8 years