Cubs payroll dropped to 65 million

Bust

Liked Posts:
Sweet! All the bloated deals are gone. Lots of assets and over 100 million to spend on free agents.

Cubs need to go after Cory Seager in free agency!

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Agreed on they can be aggressive in FA, but no thanks on seager. Guy always seems to be hurt. And giving a 7+ year contract to a guy that’s hurt a lot, at a position the cubs actually have some farm depth at doesn’t make sense. Cubs need to find an ace starting pitcher as priority number 1. By the time the team is ready to compete again, they will have most positions covered from what’s in the farm. No sense in tying up money in guys before you know what you really need, based on who succeeds and who fails from the minor league system

jts1207

Liked Posts:
Agreed on they can be aggressive in FA, but no thanks on seager. Guy always seems to be hurt. And giving a 7+ year contract to a guy that’s hurt a lot, at a position the cubs actually have some farm depth at doesn’t make sense. Cubs need to find an ace starting pitcher as priority number 1. By the time the team is ready to compete again, they will have most positions covered from what’s in the farm. No sense in tying up money in guys before you know what you really need, based on who succeeds and who fails from the minor league system

This is and continues to be a pathetic take. The farm is coming blah blah blah…..you know because relying on prospects always works out

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
ahahahaha

holyfriggincow

Liked Posts:
I'd like to see Rodon and Ray signed for the starting rotation and Correa at SS. Madrigal at second with Hoerner as a utility guy who can play 2nd, 3rd or SS. No idea what they're doing at 3B btw. Someone mentioned Arenado but I don't see them backing up the brinks truck for him. St. Louis usually retains guys like that anyway. Maybe stick Wisdom there for a year until they can figure it out.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
This is and continues to be a pathetic take. The farm is coming blah blah blah…..you know because relying on prospects always works out
Are you saying, after dumping major leaguers to avoid paying a lot of free agent level salaries, the Cubs should not rely on the prospects they just got, and instead should spend on free agents this upcoming offseason?

Wouldn't they have to sign about 8?

Last edited:

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
They can spend some money, but they have no business going long-term with anyone right now. Time to start flipping houses again.

iseah100

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
Cubs won’t spend big in FA until they think they’ve assembled a core group of players that can compete.
Is that how you accelerate it? We have Wilson/Madrigal/Hoerner/Hendricks as our new core. Add Brandon Belt at first keep Wisdom at 3rd, Brennan Davis is set to come up and a rotation of Hendricks/Azolay/Mills/Steele/Davies can do decent. Our Bullpen is good, could take a flyer on someone like Buddy/Sanchez.
Yea no that team wins maybe 70 games lol

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Steel will be up to start vs the Brewers next week. Word is 6 man rotation. Thompson will be next.

iseah100

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
Steel will be up to start vs the Brewers next week. Word is 6 man rotation. Thompson will be next.
Hendricks-Azolay-Steele-Marquez-Thompson-Mills next year. It’ll be a growing year for them but it’ll be good to get the young guys innings.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Hendricks-Azolay-Steele-Marquez-Thompson-Mills next year. It’ll be a growing year for them but it’ll be good to get the young guys innings.
Don't forget Kilian. I think he could have a big impact

Bust

Liked Posts:
I'd like to see Rodon and Ray signed for the starting rotation and Correa at SS. Madrigal at second with Hoerner as a utility guy who can play 2nd, 3rd or SS. No idea what they're doing at 3B btw. Someone mentioned Arenado but I don't see them backing up the brinks truck for him. St. Louis usually retains guys like that anyway. Maybe stick Wisdom there for a year until they can figure it out.

Correa would be another great signing. He is only 26

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Don't forget Kilian. I think he could have a big impact

I see it as:

Hendricks, Alozay, Mills, Steel, Thompson

Kilian AAA
Marquez, Jensen AA

At that point it would be based off of production.

I much rather have

Rondon, Hendricks, Alzolay, Steel, Thompson

Same as above in the minors and make the kids force change.

Over all I like option 2. That has the makings of a MLB quality rotation with a plus arm in Iowa and a eliete arm in Tenn.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I see it as:

Hendricks, Alozay, Mills, Steel, Thompson

Kilian AAA
Marquez, Jensen AA

At that point it would be based off of production.

I much rather have

Rondon, Hendricks, Alzolay, Steel, Thompson

Same as above in the minors and make the kids force change.

Over all I like option 2. That has the makings of a MLB quality rotation with a plus arm in Iowa and a eliete arm in Tenn.
I think Jensen will eventually be moved back to closer. Or he should be at least. Alzolay is probably better off in the long run as a back end of the pen guy too

wonky73

Las Vegas Sorts News
Liked Posts:
You do realize that's how we won the World Series right?

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
You do realize that's how we won the World Series right?

he still thinks trumpy is going to be president again here soon…I don’t think he realizes much