Cubs post trade deadline 2023 outlook

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
They should push Thompson to the pen when he gets back. He has hit a innings wall and there is no good reason to keep pushing him.

What is in the best interest of the team is not winning. It is getting exposure for the next gen. That means getting Kilian and Wesneski in the rotation and pushing Sampson out of it.

The focus should not be winning. Who cares what the players want. It is doing what is needed to make 2023 better.

In that Hendricks is shut down and is working on prepping for 2023. He is not trying to get back. It is pointless to do so

This should be the focus. If they win cool. But if the goal is to win then they should have moved agressivly last month to make it so.
Yeah moving aggressively to win when you are about 16 games out? Not a good idea.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
These guys are payed a lot of money to play baseball.....you can't expect them to half ass it because they are out of it. Certainly not in the Cubs best interest to keep winning these series but I gotta give them credit for playing this hard knowing there's nothing waiting at the end of the rainbow for them.

And that fucking tard that suggested they can Ross should be banned for stupidity above and beyond the call. Ross has this ragtag bunch still playing tough baseball as we move into September.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
These guys are payed a lot of money to play baseball.....you can't expect them to half ass it because they are out of it. Certainly not in the Cubs best interest to keep winning these series but I gotta give them credit for playing this hard knowing there's nothing waiting at the end of the rainbow for them.

And that fucking tard that suggested they can Ross should be banned for stupidity above and beyond the call. Ross has this ragtag bunch still playing tough baseball as we move into September.
I never understood the Ross hate either. It’s not like managers make many in game decisions anymore, and so a players manager like Ross makes sense. Players seem to like playing for him.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
They should push Thompson to the pen when he gets back. He has hit a innings wall and there is no good reason to keep pushing him.

What is in the best interest of the team is not winning. It is getting exposure for the next gen. That means getting Kilian and Wesneski in the rotation and pushing Sampson out of it.

The focus should not be winning. Who cares what the players want. It is doing what is needed to make 2023 better.

In that Hendricks is shut down and is working on prepping for 2023. He is not trying to get back. It is pointless to do so

This should be the focus. If they win cool. But if the goal is to win then they should have moved agressivly last month to make it so.
You're confusing two separate issues.

If management decides to tank and rebuild and they trade away some players, that makes sense.

But you do not ask the remaining players - or expect the remaining players - to intentionally lose games.

How do you struggle with this concept?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
You're confusing two separate issues.

If management decides to tank and rebuild and they trade away some players, that makes sense.

But you do not ask the remaining players - or expect the remaining players - to intentionally lose games.

How do you struggle with this concept?

The issue was Jed held onto Smyly, Happ and Contreras. That is why.

What you don't seem to understand talent wins. The players can want to all day. But if the talent is there then it translates to wins.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Now Jed did come out and said that he feels that they are going through another 2014 again.

I found that to be interesting. That year both Kyle and Jake joined the rotation. Javy I believe was a 50% strike out rate guy.

It is a interesting take that he had. I would agree if he extends both Hoerner and Contreras. The pulls Smyly's opt. After start trading some depth to address the inefficient aspects of the team.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Everyone understands talent wins.

You just blather on with nonsense.

Really? So you agree that if the players want to win but the talent is not there then wanting changes nothing right?

But if the talent is there then it translates to more wins.

So the want point is nil

What the main factor for winning is Jed held his hand in selling off his big 2 pieces.

Last year he sold off his big talent. It ended up in losses regardless of the frank the tank scrub fest.

So want means nothing. Talent means everything.

So you can take the whe players want to win and shove it. They are winning because Happ and Contreras are there.

End of story.

Regardless, if Jed is serious about this is 2014 all over again he needs an ace. Lester made that team legit. Jake breaking out was never planned but Lester was.

Out of whom they have Steele seems like a legit MLB starting pitcher. I feel that the Cubs can go to war with him out there. They do need a ace though. Hendricks is not an ace. Even at his peak he never lead the staff. So to expect that is folly. They need to get serious on a proven.

So yes I am yet again going to say Rodon should be a target. I really don't care about the nay say bull shit. The dude wins games. You can not be taken seriously as a contending team with a bull shit rotation headed by a lollypop tossing has been.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
As speculation persists about Angels two-way star Shohei Ohtani’s future with the organization as owner Arte Moreno is exploring a sale of the team, MLB Network insider Jon Morosi believes the Cubs will be a serious contender to land Ohtani should he be dealt this offseason.

“A huge part of the Ohtani conversation here might be that the Angels are sort of talking – and this is hard to do because of the way the rules work in baseball – but remember where the Cubs finished in the derby to get Ohtani at the beginning?” Morosi said on Parkins & Spiegel Show on Friday afternoon. “My understanding was they were a pretty compelling place.
They put together a pretty good sales pitch. Theo (Epstein) was still with the Cubs obviously at that point in time. My understanding is the Cubs were impressive to Shohei’s camp. So it wouldn’t surprise me if Shohei were to be traded to the Cubs, and you look around and this is to me a compelling time to join the Cubs. They’re going to get better. They’ve already been pretty good through the last couple months. There are better days ahead for the Cubs. And I think if Ohtani were to come to Chicago and look around, I feel better about the Cubs’ next five years than I do the Angels’ next five years. And you look at the division, and Milwaukee is sort of in a perpetual cycle of having to make trades like the one they did with (Josh) Hader. The Cardinals, I think you look at their roster, they might turn over here in the next couple years as well. Obviously, there are some prominent retirements happening for them. I think there’s an opening there for the Cubs. I really do. They’re going to be a very compelling team to keep (an eye on).”

Jon Morosi: 'It wouldn’t surprise me' if Shohei Ohtani was traded to Cubs

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
As speculation persists about Angels two-way star Shohei Ohtani’s future with the organization as owner Arte Moreno is exploring a sale of the team, MLB Network insider Jon Morosi believes the Cubs will be a serious contender to land Ohtani should he be dealt this offseason.

“A huge part of the Ohtani conversation here might be that the Angels are sort of talking – and this is hard to do because of the way the rules work in baseball – but remember where the Cubs finished in the derby to get Ohtani at the beginning?” Morosi said on Parkins & Spiegel Show on Friday afternoon. “My understanding was they were a pretty compelling place.
They put together a pretty good sales pitch. Theo (Epstein) was still with the Cubs obviously at that point in time. My understanding is the Cubs were impressive to Shohei’s camp. So it wouldn’t surprise me if Shohei were to be traded to the Cubs, and you look around and this is to me a compelling time to join the Cubs. They’re going to get better. They’ve already been pretty good through the last couple months. There are better days ahead for the Cubs. And I think if Ohtani were to come to Chicago and look around, I feel better about the Cubs’ next five years than I do the Angels’ next five years. And you look at the division, and Milwaukee is sort of in a perpetual cycle of having to make trades like the one they did with (Josh) Hader. The Cardinals, I think you look at their roster, they might turn over here in the next couple years as well. Obviously, there are some prominent retirements happening for them. I think there’s an opening there for the Cubs. I really do. They’re going to be a very compelling team to keep (an eye on).”

Depends what the cubs would have to give up to get him but I’d certainly love him on the cubs

Side note, are you playing fantasy football this season @Adipost ?

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Really? So you agree that if the players want to win but the talent is not there then wanting changes nothing right?

But if the talent is there then it translates to more wins.

So the want point is nil

What the main factor for winning is Jed held his hand in selling off his big 2 pieces.

Last year he sold off his big talent. It ended up in losses regardless of the frank the tank scrub fest.

So want means nothing. Talent means everything.

So you can take the whe players want to win and shove it. They are winning because Happ and Contreras are there.

End of story.
Unless you can produce any verified information on what was offered and turned down by Hoyer regarding Happ or Contreras was good talent....kindly STFU on the matter. If he turned down any good offers, it's a different story. I've seen or read nothing that says that....only thing I've read was that the offers were underwhelming. Which means had he moved both players he would be taking a step back in talent and for what? To lose a few more games? As per usual, your take on this is just so incredibly bad.....

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Unless you can produce any verified information on what was offered and turned down by Hoyer regarding Happ or Contreras was good talent....kindly STFU on the matter. If he turned down any good offers, it's a different story. I've seen or read nothing that says that....only thing I've read was that the offers were underwhelming. Which means had he moved both players he would be taking a step back in talent and for what? To lose a few more games? As per usual, your take on this is just so incredibly bad.....

Where did I ever say anything regarding a return? If you would read it is simple. Talent = wins or losses. Player want is a crap out excuse.

Jed held onto Contreras, Happ and Smyly and that has translated into wins.

The whole notion of players willing wins and not wanting to toss games is crap.

Regardless Jed went on and said that they are in a 2014 position again. Which means that this win spurt justifies adding to pay roll.

So it seems dual edged. Win get a shit pick. But win and Jed adds to make it something more.

Lose and get a solid pick. Lose and not invest into next year as they are too far out.

It is a pretty simple thing so please stop with the crap

CSF77

Liked Posts:

I would say that it is far too early to speculate. He put the team on the market and making a major move that effects box office draw might not be in the best interest in the selling process.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Where did I ever say anything regarding a return? If you would read it is simple. Talent = wins or losses. Player want is a crap out excuse.

Regardless Jed went on and said that they are in a 2014 position again. Which means that this win spurt justifies adding to pay roll.

So it seems dual edged. Win get a shit pick. But win and Jed adds to make it something more.

Lose and get a solid pick. Lose and not invest into next year as they are too far out.

The only "crap" I'm seeing are your posts.....ever wonder why people here very, very rarely ever agree with you? Nearly 17,000 posts and only 15% agree with what you are saying. Think about that Mr. Numbers.....for every 100 posts you make 85 people disagree with what you are saying. You can't win a disagreement on this forum because the vast majority of what you are saying is wrong.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Nobody has ever said a single word about players “willing wins“. We all responded to you who just couldn’t understand why a team would try to win any game once they’ve traded people away in July. The fact that they won a single game in the second half made you wonder what they were thinking and so they should go on 81.

You are talking in circles.

You’ve gotten yourself so dizzy you haven’t even mentioned Josh Bell in a week.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
The only "crap" I'm seeing are your posts.....ever wonder why people here very, very rarely ever agree with you? Nearly 17,000 posts and only 15% agree with what you are saying. Think about that Mr. Numbers.....for every 100 posts you make 85 people disagree with what you are saying. You can't win a disagreement on this forum because the vast majority of what you are saying is wrong.
I feel like y'all too harsh on @CSF77. dude is a passionate Cubs fan and is creating significant content a la Windy in Bears threads.

Full disclosure: I don't know enough about current league and minors rosters to assess the merits of his content, but I do enjoy reading it.