Cubs post trade deadline 2023 outlook

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The only team that can knock off the Dodgers is the Mets. Mets right now has a rotation that no one will want to face.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm going the positive route here, and will latch onto the one point we can agree on, "pushing Madrigal out of the lineup", not that he is in or even on anyone's radar these days.

Where is he? What happened?

I am pleased with what Morel has shown, though I think he is waaaayyyyy over hyped.

Madrigal's ceiling is an inch above his floor. But I honestly don't recall why he's out.
Word is the hamstring was bad all year and he was never healthy til now, when he is quietly starting to look like the player he was supposed to be. Whether that buys him a longer look I have no idea

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Word is the hamstring was bad all year and he was never healthy til now, when he is quietly starting to look like the player he was supposed to be. Whether that buys him a longer look I have no idea
I really do hope Madrigal pulls it together. He would be a valuable contact hitter to have. Especially if we make the playoffs again one day, he is the type to hit elite pitching.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
he has been plagued by injuries. His contact is elite but for value. He needs to stay healthy and he need to find defense that he lot along the way. Hoerner and him are basically the same player. I like both moving forward for UI/starters as the team grows. Contact for days

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I also feel like not having a proper spring training didn't help matters. Like he was coming off a long term injury so getting back to normal he could have likely used more game time

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
So I don't have as much time as guys like Aldipost to make something robust, so I put together something rather quick to give an idea of what this team could look like in 2023:

Position Players

Pitching

If too lazy to read here is a quick lineup and pitching projection, but I suggest reading it :)

Best case scenario, team spends to win next year lineup:

1. Suzuki RF
2. Contreras C
3. Arenado 3B
4. Abreu 1B/DH
5. Happ LF
6. Bogaerts 2B
7. Velasquez DH
8. Morel CF
9. Hoerner SS

Worst case scenario for next year to have flip deals at deadline, in case team plays bad in first half:

1. Morel CF
  2. Belt 1B
  3. Suzuki RF
  4. Happ LF
  5. Wisdom 3B
  6. Velasquez DH
  7. Gomes/Amaya C
  8. Hoerner SS
  9. Madrigal 2B
The most likely scenario for next year is that the Cubs do another few 3-5 year deals as they did with Stroman and Suzuki last year. So I see them signing Bogaerts, and pushing Madrigal out of the lineup. This is the scenario that I would think has a greater than 50% chance of happening. Also left out for next year is Brennan Davis, as I think he will have to earn his spot during spring training, and since the outfield is packed with talent, he would force Morel into super utility role and Davis would start at CF.

Best case starting 5:

1. Rodon/Kershaw/Syndegaard
  2. Stroman
  3. Steele
  4. Thompson
  5. Hendricks
Flip deals starting 5:

1. Stroman
  2. Steele
  3. Thompson
  4. Gibson/Minor/Kluber
  5. Hendricks
It would be my personal choice to try and trade Hendricks in the off season and let the young pitching compete for the 5th spot. With the hope of Killian/Wezneski/Wicks winning the job. Herz has a great ceiling but he still has control issues that may end up turning into a closer role, so I don’t see him competing for this yet.
As long as we are talking fantasy, somebody tell Jed we need S-P-E-E-E-E-D. I know speed on the base paths is old timey stuff now. You just wait for the sabermetrics to play out and whatever happens, happens. I think a quick guy on first immediately forces the pitcher into a stretch. If I am the batter I am already happier. If the guy on first is forcing throws, then the batter is even happier. I know the metrics tells managers to just let the batters bat until there is a strikeout (way too many of them) or a home run. MLB is all about juicing up the game to get more viewers, but the beauty of the game is being lost. Watching Lou Brock & Ricky Henderson dominate games with stolen bases was an absolute joy. Now, the only time I see a stolen base it is when runners are on the corners and the runner on first all but walks to second base.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
he has been plagued by injuries. His contact is elite but for value. He needs to stay healthy and he need to find defense that he lot along the way. Hoerner and him are basically the same player. I like both moving forward for UI/starters as the team grows. Contact for days
Hoerner is a much much better defensive player and has more pop. They’re not the same guy at all.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hoerner is a much much better defensive player and has more pop. They’re not the same guy at all.
Hoerner is more versatile by far. At the plate, they arent much different. High contact low on base. Neither have much power. They are going to put the ball in play. Madrigal was rated high defensively and struglled in the majors. Injuries could play the part but he is basically a second baseman and nothing else

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Tatis is getting suspended for PEDs. Wonder if Padres knew and went after Soto for that

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Tatis is getting suspended for PEDs. Wonder if Padres knew and went after Soto for that
Lol there goes that ”murderers row”

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lol there goes that ”murderers row”
Still strong lineup but def a big blow. Teams usually have a clue about this before it comes public. But, I am guessing they save money with the suspension

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Narrator: “And just like that, it became just Soto and a guy once revered (long ago) named Machado.”
Are you saying Machado isn't good? His numbers and play on the field say otherwise

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Anyone notice Hoerner is 7th in fWAR among SS and 4th in AVG for a SS. Turns 26 soon and his game is just going to get better. Im loving this team future. I think we make a little noise next year trying to make the playoffs.

The money and the talent are starting to align.

Last edited:

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Anyone notice Hoerner is 7th in fWAR among SS and 4th in AVG for a SS. Turns 26 soon and his game is just going to get better. Im loving this team future. I think we make a little noise next year trying to make the playoffs.

The money and the talent are starting to align.
I like what he’s doing for sure. That said, if the cubs could nab Trea Turner in the offseason and have a double play combo of Turner and Hoerner, that’d be ideal

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I like what he’s doing for sure. That said, if the cubs could nab Trea Turner in the offseason and have a double play combo of Turner and Hoerner, that’d be ideal
That would work. If that's not there, another option is Bogaerts to play third and leave Hoerner at SS.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Might be a year early for a big ticket. But if they do go there 3B holds priority. I wouldn't be against trading with LAA and sending over a package. Cubs are getting loaded up and to be honest only guys I concider untouchable are Armstrong, Wicks and the new SP they drafted. All 3 have core player upside. Rest could be negotiable

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
That would work. If that's not there, another option is Bogaerts to play third and leave Hoerner at SS.
There’s certainly a handful of really good SS/3B options for the cubs this offseason.

Cubs seem to have lots of OF prospects coming, not so much IF. This offseason seems like a good opportunity to nab one of those FA IF’s due to the abundance of them available and the slim number of teams that seem to have big time $$ and a need.

and ricketts said they plan on being big players this offseason in FA