Cubs Sign Ben Zobrist

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Castro for Adam Warren and Ben Zobrist for 56 million. Ive supported this FO but this was just dumb. I hope Castro becomes a HOF for the Yanks.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Two very stupid moves......

Disappointing. Neither made this team better. Zobrist plays every position except for CF, which is what they need.

And a pitcher I prefer Kyle Hendricks over. Warren boasts a 90-94 MPH 4 seam, a slider that really isn't that good, a circle change which is 'meh' and a knuckle curve.

Brendan Ryan? What?

So is LaStella starting 2B and Baez in CF? You're fucking nuts......

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I don't want to overreact.................Not liking these moves. This stinks of someone grabbing all of their old favs and tossing them together hoping to relive past glory. I can't recall that ever working out well for teams in any sport. Better to sell a year early than buy a year late. The Cubs are doing the exact wrong thing. If they don't win the WS this season or next......

Feels that way. Cater to Jon and bring in Lackey. Now cater to Maddon and bring in Zorbrist. Still I like Zorbrist as a lead off.

IDK about the return. The PTBNL better be good quality.

czman

Liked Posts:
A guy who has never proven to handle a starters work load.

Who is 28 too. So they have now brought in a 37yo SP. A 28 pitcher who may come out of the bullpen or start. A 35 yo 2b with position flexability. And we lost a 26 year old 2b with a team friendly deal and draft resources.

The Cubs are taking this position flexability and the ability to start or come out of the bullpen too far.

Grizzly

Liked Posts:
Diamondbacks now have gotten Greinke and Shelby Miller and we got Lackey and Zobrist. Wow.

czman

Liked Posts:
I honestly think the Cubs should put the extension of Theo for hold and if they miss the playoffs he should be gone. They basically threw away long term success for short term gain tied a more money up for equal value.

I never liked the value of the Lackey deal and think this stinks too.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Yeah, Theo is a douche. He's always signed all these shitty ex Red Sox players, now he signs another old as fuck ex Sox and now an old as fuck ex Ray?

Trading Castro is just turrible. Hard to like this team right now.

czman

Liked Posts:
Inciarte to the Braves. He would have looked really good in CF. So even after these moves they still don't have a CF.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What the hell happens to GM's when they get here? He implemented a good plan and built this team from the ground up....then out of nowhere he decides it's make or break and starts dealing for obscure pitchers and infielders on career life support. Makes me sick...literally. Why didn't you just sign Cueto, Fowler and maybe Leake and just let your young team grow together. He just closed the window a bit on this teams WS chances.....nice.

A.C. Milan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What the hell happens to GM's when they get here? He implemented a good plan and built this team from the ground up....then out of nowhere he decides it's make or break and starts dealing for obscure pitchers and infielders on career life support. Makes me sick...literally. Why didn't you just sign Cueto, Fowler and maybe Leake and just let your young team grow together. He just closed the window a bit on this teams WS chances.....nice.

i agree but on the other hand we must expect Soler, Baez, Kyle, Russell and Bryant ( i expect him to become our Lebron James ) to improve a lot, if they do improve a lot we still have a shot

czman

Liked Posts:
i agree but on the other hand we must expect Soler, Baez, Kyle, Russell and Bryant ( i expect him to become our Lebron James ) to improve a lot, if they do improve a lot we still have a shot

Where does Baez play. Can they keep his clock on hold another year by keeping at AAA. I guess that buys some time.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
wow that trade was 1 sided. Yanks ripped them off......

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Fire Theo. Just when I was starting to think he actually was legit, he does some of the dumbest shit in one week.

I hope we get swept by the Dbags and Castro hits a walk off HR in game 7 of the World Series.

A.C. Milan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Fire Theo. Just when I was starting to think he actually was legit, he does some of the dumbest shit in one week.

I hope we get swept by the Dbags and Castro hits a walk off HR in game 7 of the World Series.

no man you don't really mean it, it's anger that is speaking for you

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Warren, 28, will give the Cubs a right-hander that was one of the more valuable swingmen in the game last season. The former fourth-round pick appeared in 43 games for the Yankees, making 17 starts and 26 relief appearances en route to a career-high 131 1/3 innings. In that time, Warren posted a 3.29 ERA with 7.1 K/9, 2.7 BB/9 and a 45.2 percent ground-ball rate. Those numbers are more or less commensurate with the production he delivered from 2013-14 while working almost exclusively out of the bullpen (101 relief appearances, two starts) and can be a reasonable expectation for him going forward. (If anything, one could perhaps forecast slightly better results due to the move to the National League.) He can be controlled for another three years in arbitration.

Ryan, 34 in March, exercised his $1MM player option this offseason. Ryan has not been terribly productive since coming to New York, taking just 289 plate appearances and compiling a poor .201/.244/.271 batting line over his three years with the team. Still, he is valued most for his glove and he can contribute at second base and in other infield roles.

czman

Liked Posts:
Zobrist WAR since his age 30 season:

You know what I call that, decline with age.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So they pick Ben to play 2B. Then they bring back a swing man...after signing Cahill...and a UI also over the hill.

Makes me wonder if they are planning on letting Cahill start then back fill his role with Warren. The the add of Ryan opens up Baez for a trade. Now if it is Baez and Hendricks what could they get in return for them?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Zobrist WAR since his age 30 season:

You know what I call that, decline with age.

Think he was injured.