Cubs Sign Jason Hammel

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Actually I meant his first two but looking at it closer he was really bad in his first few starts and got better. If he can keep his ERA and more importantly his FIP around 3.00 he can function as #3 starter for this team. I liked McCarthy better for that role, or Liriano if they don't get Lester but Hammel is ok. If you trot out Lester, Arietta, Hammel and a 4 & 5 out of Wada, Wood, Turner, Doubront, Hendricks, Strailey then you'll have a decent starting staff. Add another TOR guy in July or next offseason and you're really talking.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I wonder what the money is. 3-years/$27M?

Probably. You have to figure that the solid #3 guys are going to get 3-4 year deals at $14-$16 per so a #4 aspiring to be #3 probably is somewhere in the 3/$30 range.

Slightly off topic question; if #1 starters get to the $35 million per category in the next couple of years as expected, #2's at say $25, #3's at $20 what happens to the BOR guys? Do they get paid $15 + mil per or do they become shifting commodities where teams don't solidify those spots so they don't accrue value? I'd bet on the latter and agents will be hopping mad.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Official 2 year-$18 million

Very happy with that. I assumed it would be a 3-year deal worth around $30 M. Gives the Cubs a little more stability now in the middle of the rotation. I would prefer Liriano but it's hard to argue with that price.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I hate this deal..
Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS · 1m1 minute ago
hammel cubs deal is $9M a year for 2 yrs plus $2M buyout on $10M option for $20M guarantee. #cubs

Jason hammell is a career 4 + ERA , has never won more then 10 games or pitched over 170 innings in 9 years.. he a no. 4 / 5 starter

he got hot in the first half last year, odds are he not going to do it again..

looking to be a typical off season for the cubs where they tell us their aiming high and end up buying low...

their going to go into next season with the same starters they had last year...

mooch82

Liked Posts:
I hate this deal..
hammel cubs deal is $9M a year for 2 yrs plus $2M buyout on $10M option for $20M guarantee. #cubs

Jason hammell is a career 4 + ERA , has never won more then 10 games or pitched over 170 innings in 9 years.. he a no. 4 / 5 starter

looking to be a typical off season for the cubs where they tell us their aiming high and end up buying low...

I'll post again...

He actually only had a couple shaky starts in July when he first got there which killed his overall numbers - look at his splits for August and September....ERA under 3 both months. Was more than just getting hot in the first half and teams took notice, including the Cubs. Plus he pitched well in Wrigley - just hiccuped a bit when he had the change of scenery. Even if he posts a 4-ish ERA - the deal is solid.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
I hate this deal..

I think you need to rethink this. Go look at his stats and where his ERA was inflated. At Coors Field and in the AL for Baltimore, in which, one of those years for the Orioles he was a 3.72 ERA. So it should be no surprise that his ERA dropped when he came back to the NL.

And while you are looking at his stats, check out his splits in Oakland where he put up a 2.86 and 2.20 ERA in the months of August and September. His July ERA blew everything out of whack.

For the money and years, this is a pretty damn good signing.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I think you need to rethink this. Go look at his stats and where his ERA was inflated. At Coors Field and in the AL for Baltimore, in which, one of those years for the Orioles he was a 3.72 ERA. So it should be no surprise that his ERA dropped when he came back to the NL.

And while you are looking at his stats, check out his splits in Oakland where he put up a 2.86 and 2.20 ERA in the months of August and September. His July ERA blew everything out of whack.

he is what he is.. plenty of starters come out of Colorado and Baltimore with better stats over the years

he going to be 32 YO, he not going to all of a sudden become this stud pitcher we been waiting for and need at the top of the rotation..
there cheaper options on their roster now, who could be a 4,5 starter...

they needed to get someone to lead the staff at the TOR.. what they got is a veteran starter who a 4,5 but their going to put at 2 ahead of a 2nd yr starter and 2 other 4/5 type starters..

I guarantee you by July everyone going to hate this deal... they failed to get their target, so they grabbed someone who said he wanted to come back here..
they need to add players who going to help them win more games, hammell not going to help them win more games

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yea, surprised its for 2 years. I thought it would be 3 from what I was reading. This is just a drop in the bucket for a pitcher. Ill take him for 9 mill a year for only 2 years. Shit, we paid Scott Baker 6.5 million to rehab.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
he is what he is.. plenty of starters come out of Colorado and Baltimore with better stats over the years

he going to be 32 YO, he not going to all of a sudden become this stud pitcher we been waiting for and need at the top of the rotation..
there cheaper options on their roster now, who could be a 4,5 starter...

they needed to get someone to lead the staff at the TOR.. what they got is a veteran starter who a 4,5 but their going to put at 2 ahead of a 2nd yr starter and 2 other 4/5 type starters..

I guarantee you by July everyone going to hate this deal... they failed to get their target, so they grabbed someone who said he wanted to come back here..
they need to add players who going to help them win more games, hammell not going to help them win more games

Your over reacting to this deal. Who did they fail to land? I also guarantee Hammel is better then Wada, Hendricks, and the rest of the others. Only Arrieta is better on this staff at the present time. Yet again, its for 2 years. Its not a 4 or 5 year deal.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

I agree. Pretty good value for a guy that Bosio seemed to figure out some.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
From the beginning the Cubs said they wanted 2 pitchers. They may fail to sign Lester but let's not act like this deal would be the reason why

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Your over reacting to this deal. Who did they fail to land? I also guarantee Hammel is better then Wada, Hendricks, and the rest of the others. Only Arrieta is better on this staff at the present time. Yet again, its for 2 years. Its not a 4 or 5 year deal.

I know lester hasn't decided yet and supposedly they said he will tonight or in the morning, I just don't think he coming here..

my beef is, they bring in a guy who has had a terrible 9 yr career and because of what he did for 1/2 a year last year and that he wanted to come back..
he a career under .500 starter with an ERA of 4.60 over 9 years..
if he better then wada, Hendricks, and the others to me that pretty sad , that means besides Arrieta the cubs rotation is that bad..

the only thing hammell has going for him is that he a veteran, and by adding him for 2 years means they got a veteran for their rotation...

so.. Arrieta, Hammells, Hendricks, and then pick any 2 you want.. Wada, Wood, Jackson, Turner, Dubrount, Straily, Jokisch, Beeler

not exactly what I was hoping for and thought their plan was going into the off season

chibears55

Liked Posts:
From the beginning the Cubs said they wanted 2 pitchers. They may fail to sign Lester but let's not act like this deal would be the reason why

if your referring to me, I never said this is why their not getting or may not get Lester..

I just don't think Hammell a good pitcher, plain and simple.. based on what he done over a 9 yr career more then what he did for 1/2 a season last year

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
I know lester hasn't decided yet and supposedly they said he will tonight or in the morning, I just don't think he coming here..

my beef is, they bring in a guy who has had a terrible 9 yr career and because of what he did for 1/2 a year last year and that he wanted to come back..
he a career under .500 starter with an ERA of 4.60 over 9 years..
if he better then wada, Hendricks, and the others to me that pretty sad , that means besides Arrieta the cubs rotation is that bad..

the only thing hammell has going for him is that he a veteran, and by adding him for 2 years means they got a veteran for their rotation...

so.. Arrieta, Hammells, Hendricks, and then pick any 2 you want.. Wada, Wood, Jackson, Turner, Dubrount, Straily, Jokisch, Beeler

not exactly what I was hoping for and thought their plan was going into the off season

First off, this isn't their primary target, nor their second option if they don't land Lester. I can guarantee you that. This is a fill the rotation type pitcher. That's all.

They can't go with E-Jax again, so this is the alternative to him which is a massive upgrade. And apparently, you didn't read through his stats. His inflated ERA's were in Colorado.

So, lets go with his last 3 years of work rather than a sample size. Even with a 4.97 ERA in Baltimore in 2013, over that span, he has a 3.96 ERA. Now, I don't know how many are out there, but paying 18 million and 2 years for a pitcher like that in this day and age is pretty good.

Look on the bright side, and how much better this signing is than E-Jax in which they inked for 4 years. These are the best signings in the world where they can pick up his option in the 3rd year if needed.

And lastly, we aren't even a day into the winter meetings and do not know the destination of any of the big pitchers, nor Santana, Liriano, or anyone else.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
if your referring to me, I never said this is why their not getting or may not get Lester..

I just don't think Hammell a good pitcher, plain and simple.. based on what he done over a 9 yr career more then what he did for 1/2 a season last year

Go look at Homer Bailey's stats and what he signed for if you don't like this deal and maybe that will change your opinion as to how this signing makes sense.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
First off, this isn't their primary target, nor their second option if they don't land Lester. I can guarantee you that. This is a fill the rotation type pitcher. That's all.

fill ins.. im so tired of fill ins.. they have plenty of pitchers on their roster who can be a 4/5 fill in for 2015..

you and others may like him and think he a good starter, I just don't like him and don't think he that good

we shall see who right by the break...

They can't go with E-Jax again, so this is the alternative to him which is a massive upgrade

just about anyone in their farm system would of been an upgrade over Jackson, so that aint saying much for hammell

EDIT: think about this.. say they move Jackson and eat say 9 of his 13 mil owed for 2015. .
Their slight upgrade with Hammel will cost them 18 mil to gain maybe 4-5 more wins on a number 4 type starter

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
:fap:

Clearly the difference between a 70 win team and a 90 win team