Cubs, Stroman in heavy talks

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would also assume Brennan Davis is in the Cubs plan for next year, so bat signing may be more limited until they think they are ready.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I would also assume Brennan Davis is in the Cubs plan for next year, so bat signing may be more limited until they think they are ready.
I don't think the cubs have a ton of room for bats. Like your gonna give wisdom and frank shots next year at 1b/3b. Madrigal is gonna be at 2b. Heyward is gonna be in rf. Happ is gonna be in lf/cf. Contreras barring a trade will be your c. So you're talking about one OF spot and SS one of which has to go to Nico. If Davis is on that faster pace then yeah nico at SS seems likely in which case you're likely not thinking too long term on position player fa.

Bust

Liked Posts:
I don't think the cubs have a ton of room for bats.

tru dat!

it's okay tho, Jed can focus on pitching. stock up on arms!

I was looking over Mike Trout's stats the other day. The dude is going into his 12th season already with Angels and that franchise have only sniffed the postseason once during that span cause their pitching has been trash. Now they gonna waste Ohtani if they continue the same trend.

EPIC FAIL @ Angels who arguably have the 2 best players in mlb and only managed to win 77 games last year.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I don't think the cubs have a ton of room for bats. Like your gonna give wisdom and frank shots next year at 1b/3b. Madrigal is gonna be at 2b. Heyward is gonna be in rf. Happ is gonna be in lf/cf. Contreras barring a trade will be your c. So you're talking about one OF spot and SS one of which has to go to Nico. If Davis is on that faster pace then yeah nico at SS seems likely in which case you're likely not thinking too long term on position player fa.

LF: Happ full time.
CF: Ortega and Frazier or Hoerner
RF: Heyward and Fraizer. Davis pending.

3B: Wisdom (Can do better)
SS: Hoerner (Injury is a major concern)
2B Mag (If he is ready by ST)
1B: Schwindel
C: Contreras/Gomes

I would say right now that they need a MI that is starting quality. There are concerns going into the year.

OF I would stand pat. They are good. Davis will need a good player coach in Heyward. I see this as a non issue right now.

3B well I'm not sold on a .230 hitter that struggles to take walks. His only tool is power. The rest are avg or below.

I'll give a opinion here. Go for Seager lesser and Volgy if the DH is a thing. There is nothing wrong with having a flexible power source (With a DH). Wisdom is fine on the team. I look at how many outs made vs how many HR's with him.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Great signing though. Rodon maybe a reach right now.

Hendricks
Stroman
Miley
Mills
Steel

SU Thompson
SU Wick
SU Wieck
CL Alzolay

I think they are kinda good going in. Rodon would be a envelop push with out the stable O to justify it.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I certainly understand the Cubs are not at the point of going on a spending spree to try to win it all in 2022, but I pray nobody who works for the team sees Wisdom and Schwindel as guys you can't replace with better players.

Wisdom had some nice overall numbers but seems to have been figured out and really fell off late. Schwindel had two nice moths at the plate, but is also not a good defensive player. Nico at SS? Is anyone sure how he can play defensively for a full season? And Madrigal at 2nd comes advertised as "punch and judy without good D". So while I would like to have them as depth, and will be more than willing wo see what they're capable of, that whole infield feels like backups.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Honestly, I wish they would have kept Bryant this year and paid him. Then go in 2022 offseason and get another bat. But that's just me.

I think they still land a bat this offseason. And then build from there.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Honestly, I wish they would have kept Bryant this year and paid him. Then go in 2022 offseason and get another bat. But that's just me.

I think they still land a bat this offseason. And then build from there.
There is about 34 million to play with to reach 150 million. They arent done

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I certainly understand the Cubs are not at the point of going on a spending spree to try to win it all in 2022, but I pray nobody who works for the team sees Wisdom and Schwindel as guys you can't replace with better players.

Wisdom had some nice overall numbers but seems to have been figured out and really fell off late. Schwindel had two nice moths at the plate, but is also not a good defensive player. Nico at SS? Is anyone sure how he can play defensively for a full season? And Madrigal at 2nd comes advertised as "punch and judy without good D". So while I would like to have them as depth, and will be more than willing wo see what they're capable of, that whole infield feels like backups.
Think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying. I am not saying those 2 are irreplaceable. I'm saying they earned a look in 2022. The difference there being they aren't gapping holes you have to fill. As for the rest, Madrigal isn't a bad defender. He's been roughly league average in the metrics over half a season and his scouting coming up had him as a 60 grade defender. In his first 300 or so PAs he put up a 113 wRC+ and obviously you'd expect him to get better with time. Nico i don't think long term is going to be a SS but he's got to have a position and with the current set up that is where there is a hole.

I also don't really agree with the assessment on Wisdom. Like don't misunderstand I'm not saying he's even an all-star but he's easily capable of being league average starter who you're paying next to nothing for. He's a good defender and other than a pretty horrid sept, he was an above average hitter in every month. He can easily have a 2-3 war season as an average league bat with better than average defense at 3B and you're paying him the league minimum. There's really not much of a point spending 10's of millions to upgrade maybe 1-1.5 war at this point. If the cubs get more together then maybe next offseason you look at it but as things stand he's pretty valuable for what he costs. Same sorta goes with frank. Even if you take a pretty conservative projection from streamer it has him hitting .270/.318/.479 for a 109 wRC+. For some context it has rizzo hitting for a 122 wRC+.

Point I'm trying to get at here is the value of a dollar is going to be way higher spending on pitching. That's where the low hanging fruit is.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Does anyone know why the Mets didn’t resign Stroman? They seem to have an unlimited budget.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying. I am not saying those 2 are irreplaceable. I'm saying they earned a look in 2022. The difference there being they aren't gapping holes you have to fill. As for the rest, Madrigal isn't a bad defender. He's been roughly league average in the metrics over half a season and his scouting coming up had him as a 60 grade defender. In his first 300 or so PAs he put up a 113 wRC+ and obviously you'd expect him to get better with time. Nico i don't think long term is going to be a SS but he's got to have a position and with the current set up that is where there is a hole.

I also don't really agree with the assessment on Wisdom. Like don't misunderstand I'm not saying he's even an all-star but he's easily capable of being league average starter who you're paying next to nothing for. He's a good defender and other than a pretty horrid sept, he was an above average hitter in every month. He can easily have a 2-3 war season as an average league bat with better than average defense at 3B and you're paying him the league minimum. There's really not much of a point spending 10's of millions to upgrade maybe 1-1.5 war at this point. If the cubs get more together then maybe next offseason you look at it but as things stand he's pretty valuable for what he costs. Same sorta goes with frank. Even if you take a pretty conservative projection from streamer it has him hitting .270/.318/.479 for a 109 wRC+. For some context it has rizzo hitting for a 122 wRC+.

Point I'm trying to get at here is the value of a dollar is going to be way higher spending on pitching. That's where the low hanging fruit is.
Oh yes I understand that you weren’t saying they’re irreplaceable. And I am also being too hard on them I admit that.

I think I have heard too much criticism of madrigal being just a slap hitter and I have gotten to a point where I expect nothing from him and that’s not fair.

I certainly agree that wisdom and Schwindel making very little money are worth a “look”. Especially at near zero cost.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Pretty good signing. 3 years only which lines up well with rebuilding. Don't want to be tied down with another Heyward situation. Keep the powder keg dry.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:

Remember you can't call Wisdom a good defender or potential gold glover around these parts. lol

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Remember you can't call Wisdom a good defender or potential gold glover around these parts. lol
Big difference between saying “good defender” and “gold glove caliber”

you still haven’t figured out the difference, I guess.

The poster you responded to understands he’s a good defender, but not silly enough to make such a claim as to say he’s a gold glove caliber defender at 3rd

CSF77

Liked Posts:
  • The Cubs “were on the periphery” of the Kevin Gausman hunt and “were heavily involved” in trying to sign Steven Matz, according to The Athletic’s Sahadev Sharma. However, Chicago weren’t willing to sign either pitcher to as lengthy of a commitment as the five-year deal Gausman received from the Blue Jays or the four-year deal Matz got from the Cardinals. While the Cubs are aiming for shorter-term deals for quality starting pitchers, they have thus far been successful on that front, landing Marcus Stroman on a three-year contract and claiming Wade Miley off waivers from the Reds. Along these same lines, Sharma suggests that Danny Duffy could be a target for the Cubs, as Duffy can likely be had for a one-year pact given his injury-shortened 2021. The team also needs more strikeout pitchers, either in the rotation via the trade market or in the bullpen.
  • Though the Pirates signed Jose Quintana and traded for Zach Thompson as part of the Jacob Stallings deal, GM Ben Cherington told reporters (including The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Kevin Gorman) before the lockout commenced that the Bucs are still looking to add another starting pitcher to their mix. There isn’t much settled in a rotation that is short on experience apart from Quintana, and Cherington feels the Pirates’ incumbent arms will have to translate their promise into performance to win jobs during Spring Training. “There was nobody that we assumed is in our rotation, but there are a lot of guys who have a chance to be,” Cherington said.