Cubs to sign Arrieta

CSF77

Liked Posts:
From Cubs.com. to add the going in opinion is Alzolay is looking to win innings going in and might be a shuttle case at first. Who knows this might be a service time extender.

Arrieta is not the same pitcher he was back then for the Cubs. The fastball does not have as much velocity and the right-hander has started to work in a changeup more often than in the past. And throughout all the adjusting, Arrieta has still managed to keep his ground-ball rate north of 51 percent.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Arrieta will not be blocking anyone with talent. Arrieta will either:
1) Be on the injured list most of the year because he is injured.
2) Just suck and be on the injured list because they can’t stomach trotting him out there anymore.
3) Bounce back and look decent which will result in him being flipped for a prospect.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Arrieta will not be blocking anyone with talent. Arrieta will either:
1) Be on the injured list most of the year because he is injured.
2) Just suck and be on the injured list because they can’t stomach trotting him out there anymore.
3) Bounce back and look decent which will result in him being flipped for a prospect.

4) It doesn't matter what he does because Jed wants to hold Alzolay's service time back right now to line up more with Brennen Davis and Brailyn Marquez. This year is a throw away year and he didn't want to lose control when the team is competing.

Last edited:

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
You know... something i hadn't really considered until just now is the impact Arrieta could have off the field. It's no secret that the cubs are gonna need some break throughs with their young arms. Arrieta seems like a real good guy to help them because he was a former 5th round pick who eventually elevated into top 100 prospect in 2009/10. But he also really struggled when he came up for baltimore.

So, when you consider that Alzolay and Marquez are likely to see some MLB time this year, having a guy who's been where they are and who's worked through struggles could be invaluable to them.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
You know... something i hadn't really considered until just now is the impact Arrieta could have off the field. It's no secret that the cubs are gonna need some break throughs with their young arms. Arrieta seems like a real good guy to help them because he was a former 5th round pick who eventually elevated into top 100 prospect in 2009/10. But he also really struggled when he came up for baltimore.

So, when you consider that Alzolay and Marquez are likely to see some MLB time this year, having a guy who's been where they are and who's worked through struggles could be invaluable to them.

Ya that is happening already. Alozay has been working on breaking ball grips and release points with Jake.

The thing with Jake is is he has been injured:

“The last three years weren’t to my expectations,” Arrieta said Saturday in a Zoom call with reporters. “I had to deal with several physical setbacks. The
meniscus [tear] that I pitched through all of 2018, which was tough, but I didn’t want to have surgery during the season. And then in ’19, I ultimately had to have bone spurs taken out of my elbow again. So there were some slight physical limitations, but having said that, I didn’t perform the way I was capable of.

I believe if healthy he is not going to be the same guy because he is not hitting 96-98 MPH any more. But 92-93 should be his avg velocity and that is doable as long as he locates and is able to tunnel his pitches well. IE same release points for his pitches.

But taking last year as a cause/effect having David running the staff more than anything. Last year the staff was wracked with injury and it led the Cubs to a play off birth with no O to support it. The reality is David is great for the catchers in creating game plans for the staff. All the staff needs to focus on is excution of their pitches.

Last edited:

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
It would be funny if Jake bounces back and puts up a 2.5-3.5 ERA after soaking the Phills for 3 years.

Makes Theo and Jed into seer's.

He signed for what? 6 million for one year?? He's a bargain. In an elimination game I'd take jake at this stage of his career taking the mound over a scrub like Quintana all day every day

Jake is now 3-1 with a 2.68 era great signing thus far

That is why I posted season data vs data vs those 2 teams.

Kyle and Trevor also looked better against them but over all they are hovering 1.50 WHIP.

Kyle has a history and when it locks in his WHIP and ERA will drop. Trevor lacks this history. 1.35 WHIP might be his peak.

I normally wouldn't give a shit about Jake but that tailing fastball has the same movement that Maddux had. Greg was a master of locating it. Jake lacks that command but has a far better breaking pitch than Greg ever had.

So Jake is exceeding my expectations right now and has my attention.

Alozay has nasty breaking pitches. He was making the Brewers look like little league hitters. He is only going to get better.

The o is feast or famine. But again it tied into shit starter vs quality starter. But yes having more contact hitting pays off against strong starters because those guys don't give away walks and contact gives you a opertunity to create runs vs wait for a solo HR.

FIP still has Jake at 3.45 and Albert at 3.56. so the underlying number on both are very good looking ahead. You can argue weak O. That is a honest argument but I look at it as caution vs salting the wound.

I'm far more concerned with Kyle. 7.57 FIP and a 5.68 ERA. Davies and Williams are not long term so their results are minimal right now. Jake has a option so he can impact 2022. Albert same. Kyle is the issue. He is escalating now and his value is going the wrong direction. So his next few starts cross your fingers that his last start was the beginning of his season and the games before was shaking rust off.

With Darvish the Padres are 5-1 and he has a 2.13 ERA
With Davies the Cubs are 3-3 and he has a 8.80 ERA.

The Cubs would be 14-13 right now.

So you are kinda right but having a legit Ace causes a trickle down effect.

Kyle is not a ace. He is supporting cast. Jake has been an ace and has taken on the roll again in a deminished capacity. Jake is not a ace anymore but knows how to pull those pants on.

So having a legit Ace reduces pressure to the rotation. Kyle would match up against other #2's. Jake would match up against #3 starters and so on.

But to be fair it is not all on Davies. The Cubs are 1-4 with Kyle. At least they have won with Davies. But Davies is matching up against back of the rotation types. Hendricks top of the rotation. That is the record difference.
Lol

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I'm pretty sure Jake will bounce back as a Cub. From what I've read he has been mastering his offspeed stuff due to his loss of velocity. So he might be fine going forward.
Lol

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
agreed. That OF might be one of the worst in all of baseball. Arrieta is garbage at this point in his career. I actually have higher hopes for Trevor williams than I do Jake. Jake is just another trumper that went to shit as soon as he attached himself to trumpy boy.