13. Jeff Samardzija
14. Chris Carpenter
15. Tony Campana
16-21. Roster fillers
22. John Grabow
23. Aramis Ramirez
24. Carlos Zambrano
25. Alfonso Soriano

descriptive detail for each ranking at the link though.

Last edited by a moderator:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Interesting article, and it is nice to see some Cubs content on the front page with this and Rick's article. I would place Ryan Dempster higher on the trade value list than Jeff Baker and Reed Johnson. I don't think it is likely that Dempster is going to be gone, but a SP is generally going to be more valuable than two right handed platoon guys. And I would say that even if the SP did struggle at the beginning of the year and is owed 13.5 million this year and 14 million for next year's player option.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Interesting article, and it is nice to see some Cubs content on the front page with this and Rick's article. I would place Ryan Dempster higher on the trade value list than Jeff Baker and Reed Johnson. I don't think it is likely that Dempster is going to be gone, but a SP is generally going to be more valuable than two right handed platoon guys. And I would say that even if the SP did struggle at the beginning of the year and is owed 13.5 million this year and 14 million for next year's player option.

Thanks

Yeah he can probably jump up to 10 or possibly even 8. The 10 and 5 rights could be difficult to get around as well.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thanks

Yeah he can probably jump up to 10 or possibly even 8. The 10 and 5 rights could be difficult to get around as well.

Oh I think if you making the list in terms of likely to be dealt then Dempster would be way down the list because I am not sure if he would take a trade. He certainly can steer the negotiations which severely limits what the Cubs can get for him. I thought though the article was about what each guy was worth, and a SP has to have a higher value than right handed platoon/bench guys.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh I think if you making the list in terms of likely to be dealt then Dempster would be way down the list because I am not sure if he would take a trade. He certainly can steer the negotiations which severely limits what the Cubs can get for him. I thought though the article was about what each guy was worth, and a SP has to have a higher value than right handed platoon/bench guys.

Yeah the article was about value, but I don't know if you would get more for a SP with 20 million ish left on his contract than you would for a lefty mashing 4th OF or backup INF, making very little.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah the article was about value, but I don't know if you would get more for a SP with 20 million ish left on his contract than you would for a lefty mashing 4th OF or backup INF, making very little.

Contract does have to play into the value, and I guess that means you think Dempster has virtual no value because getting much for Baker or Johnson is a real long shot.

Guys that can mash lefties are valuable and both Baker and Johnson do it well for cheap. But the right hand side is the least valuable of the platoon. I don't think we can expect much for either.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Contract does have to play into the value, and I guess that means you think Dempster has virtual no value because getting much for Baker or Johnson is a real long shot.

Guys that can mash lefties are valuable and both Baker and Johnson do it well for cheap. But the right hand side is the least valuable of the platoon. I don't think we can expect much for either.

Yeah I don't expect much for any of them hence why they are so far down. I wouldnt give any of them away, but I wouldn't expect much other than like a low A spec.

If Dempster was willing to waive that option though I think he jumps up all the way to maybe number 4. Especially if he declines arbitration as well.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was surprised Soto is this rated. If im Cubs i actually look into it.

Wells is another guy i would try to trade if he actually rated this high. Besides his rookie year he hasnt done shit

I think its funny Barney is rated higher then Pena. Barney is a utility player at best

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was surprised Soto is this rated. If im Cubs i actually look into it.

Well it is just my rankings, so they don't really mean that much.

Wells is another guy i would try to trade if he actually rated this high. Besides his rookie year he hasnt done shit

Wells was still average last year, and from a league minimum guy that's pretty valuable.

I think its funny Barney is rated higher then Pena. Barney is a utility player at best

It's only because if you trade for Barney you get 5.5 years of him. With Pena you get .5.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Poodski, I thought it was overall a pretty good article.

However

1 Starlin Castro, SS. Duh. I mean there is no doubt that Castro carries the most value on this team. He is a 21 year old SS who hits pretty well. The Cubs control him until at least 2016, and he shouldn’t be moved except for the highest of high offers. Castro is probably in the top 10 to 15 of most valuable players in baseball and should be treated as such.

What? I wouldn't think he would crack the top 100. If it's just the guys on active rosters in MLB, he probably gets to maybe around 65 is my off the top guess without writing the list out.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Poodski, I thought it was overall a pretty good article.

However

What? I wouldn't think he would crack the top 100. If it's just the guys on active rosters in MLB, he probably gets to maybe around 65 is my off the top guess without writing the list out.

For a 21 year old shortstop batting .315 and will only get better, I'd say that this isn't too far stretched. If it is relative to salary he is way up there. But being the 4th best shortstop in baseball, it seems kind of odd that he'd be one of the 10 most valuable.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
For a 21 year old shortstop batting .315 and will only get better, I'd say that this isn't too far stretched. If it is relative to salary he is way up there. But being the 4th best shortstop in baseball, it seems kind of odd that he'd be one of the 10 most valuable.

What? Defensively he's the worst. Offensively, wow...I would have to look into this. Off the top of my head Tulo, Hanley, Cuban Missle, hmm....maybe offensively 4th, still have to look at things.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Top 10, perhaps as high as 5. Forgot Reyes at SS

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
What? Defensively he's the worst. Offensively, wow...I would have to look into this. Off the top of my head Tulo, Hanley, Cuban Missle, hmm....maybe offensively 4th, still have to look at things.

He makes errors, but is still a good defender overall because of his range. Not great, but definitely not the worst.

I'd take Reyes, Tulo, and Hanley over him, nobody else. Except Hanley has been pretty bad this season, so based on just this season I'd take him over Hanley.

Castro's high average overwrites Alexei's power for me. When he's batting second, it isn't necessary to have power. When they bat him 3rd he needs it though. Castro being under team control longer and being younger and having more potential seals the deal for me.

But he'll probably have pretty decent power later in his career.

Last edited:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
You cannot fail to take into consideration that Castro is making close to the league minimum while be in the same conversation as the top SS in the game making 10+ million more than he is at this time when considering his value. Even if he is only the 5th or 6th best player in his position, he is doing that at the age of 21 making peanuts. Age and contract matter nearly as much as on the field performance when considering the value of a player.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
The problem is that I am not sure Castro is anything but an OF long term. And if that is the case, he's not top 300 material. If he can't field, it trumps his bat.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Maybe you miss understood what I mean by valuable. Value as in monetary value compared to monetary cost over the remainder of his contract.

Castro is making the minimum this year and probably next year and then has years of arbitration. Castro is under Cubs control until 2016 without a new contract or anything. That's what makes him so valuable. Top 10-15 might be a bit high, but he is probably pretty easily in the top 25.

Comparing him with those that you mentioned Tulo is under contract through 2020 but he is also making 20 million a year for 5 of those years. Castro won't cost nearly that much. The most he might ever cost is 10 million a year.

Tulo's contract also takes him out until he is 35 years old. Castros only until he is 26 or one past his prime one just entering it. Would I want Tulo currently over Castro contract and age be damned? Yes. Would I trade Castro for Tulo? No.

Alexei's contract also gets pretty expensive after this year. 5,7,9.5,11, and goes through his 33 age year. We get a year more of Castro for probably half the cost.

Reyes is a FA after this year, and Hanley A) isn't playing well and B) has the worst contract out of all of them.

I would take them all currently over Castro, but Castro has more value compared to cost over the term of team control. If that makes more sense?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
The problem is that I am not sure Castro is anything but an OF long term. And if that is the case, he's not top 300 material. If he can't field, it trumps his bat.

I've given multiple examples of players that were either worse or similar to Castro at this point or later in their careers that played the position for a long time. I see no evidence apart from the high error total that suggests he is going to be an OF long term.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I've given multiple examples of players that were either worse or similar to Castro at this point or later in their careers that played the position for a long time. I see no evidence apart from the high error total that suggests he is going to be an OF long term.

His offense has nothing to do with what position he will play

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Poodski, I don't get it

It seems that you believe potential and ability to control a player outranks actual production

I've asked Cub fans which happen to be knowledgable baseball fans and they said they might not put Castro in the top 100 and listed several SS they would rather have

I don't blame you for falling in love with potential. Based on your logic Beckham was a top 5 player in the game value wise. I'd still rather gave Adrian Gonzalez