Cubs vs. A's

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Wesneski not looking sharp through 2, but Wisdom's 4th HR in 4 games has the game tied at 1.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wisdom is telling Cubs fans to shove it.

Dude is some strong

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
A's suck but Belli 5 hits.

Every Cub has two hits or more except Mancini and Madrigal.

Cubs starting pitching is 3rd in majors in ERA.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Wesneski allowed 4 hits and a run in the first two innings, and the A's stranded three.

In the next 5 innings, one hit. No runs. 7 IP 1 ER 0 BB. It's the A's, but that's what we need to see.

Last edited:

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
A's suck but Belli 5 hits.

Every Cub has two hits or more except Mancini and Madrigal.

Cubs starting pitching is 3rd in majors in ERA.
Wait, I was told our pitching was struggling!!

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
This team is.. fun?

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
I do think they need to figure out a long-term solution at first. Hosmer just isn't it so far. Get me that and another big time starter and I'd feel pretty good. Maybe address a few other spots.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I do think they need to figure out a long-term solution at first. Hosmer just isn't it so far. Get me that and another big time starter and I'd feel pretty good. Maybe address a few other spots.
Mash Mervis is going to get called up at some point. He is crushing AAA again and every metric is great.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Mash Mervis is going to get called up at some point. He is crushing AAA again and every metric is great.
Yeah, I read that too. It's not only Hosmer but his RH counterpart is just as bad and comes with a weaker glove. I'd love to see them just toss the kid to the wolves and see what he can do. Morel can't be held back much longer either(hitting just under .400). With the new rules having the Cubs running this much, his speed and versatility would fit in nice.

I still don't think their pitching is legit despite the fast start....15 games is just too small a sample size. Basically just mid tier starters, some with some upside, others not. Using rotating closers doesn't work very often but if there's a guy I'd trust to try it....it would be Ross. 40-50 games in will give us a better read. I'd love nothing better than to be dead wrong.

Speaking of being wrong....in the off season SS money grab I had Bogaerts #1, Correa #2 and Swanson a distant #3. Even after Swanson levels off, his addition to this team really sets the table for bigger things to come. I know Bogaerts is out of the gate quick as well but I can't imagine anyone doing more than what Dansby has done here.

Last edited:

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Bellinger look like such a steal FA right now. His contact rates are so vastly improved from the past few seasons. He's sitting at a 9.2% walk rate and a 13.8% k rates after 2 years where his k rate was 26.9% and 27.3%. And his BABIP isn't even crazy high supporting his .310 average with it sitting at .319. I don't think he's returning to 2019 levels unless his power goes nuts in the hot months but something between 2018 and 2020 seems feasible.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Yeah, I read that too. It's not only Hosmer but his RH counterpart is just as bad and comes with a weaker glove. I'd love to see them just toss the kid to the wolves and see what he can do. Morel can't be held back much longer either(hitting just under .400). With the new rules having the Cubs running this much, his speed and versatility would fit in nice.

I still don't think their pitching is legit despite the fast start....15 games is just too small a sample size. Basically just mid tier starters, some with some upside, others not. Using rotating closers doesn't work very often but if there's a guy I'd trust to try it....it would be Ross. 40-50 games in will give us a better read. I'd love nothing better than to be dead wrong.

Speaking of being wrong....in the off season SS money grab I had Bogaerts #1, Correa #2 and Swanson a distant #3. Even after Swanson levels off, his addition to this team really sets the table for bigger things to come. I know Bogaerts is out of the gate quick as well but I can't imagine anyone doing more than what Dansby has done here.
Couple things…

1. The pitching - it’s been doing this for longer than just these 15 games. Look at the 2nd half of last season, as well. That adds to your sample size and puts it over that 40-50 game threshold

2. The shortstop class - I think you’re forgetting Turner, who I personally thought to be #1. And as great as Dansby has been for the cubs(and I think will be a great addition), it is that same small sample size you are concerned with regarding the pitching.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Bellinger look like such a steal FA right now. His contact rates are so vastly improved from the past few seasons. He's sitting at a 9.2% walk rate and a 13.8% k rates after 2 years where his k rate was 26.9% and 27.3%. And his BABIP isn't even crazy high supporting his .310 average with it sitting at .319. I don't think he's returning to 2019 levels unless his power goes nuts in the hot months but something between 2018 and 2020 seems feasible.
Let’s hope he doesn’t revert back this year and that he’s truly back to being at least a little more like his old self

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Bellinger's wife is due with a child soon. Bad timing as he is on fire.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
1b I feel is going to be addressed sooner of later.

Morel and Mervis are hammering AAA pitching. So with Bellinger most likely taking Maternity leave for a few days it opens up a roster move for Morel. Add to it having Wisdom/Mervis/Madgril rotate playing time. Wisdom has to be in the line up now.

Nothing is a sure thing but with depth it lets David lean on the hot hand more.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Couple things…

1. The pitching - it’s been doing this for longer than just these 15 games. Look at the 2nd half of last season, as well. That adds to your sample size and puts it over that 40-50 game threshold

2. The shortstop class - I think you’re forgetting Turner, who I personally thought to be #1. And as great as Dansby has been for the cubs(and I think will be a great addition), it is that same small sample size you are concerned with regarding the pitching.
Yeah, you're right. It was Turner #2, I did forget about him.....I didn't like Correa at all.

Hopefully, I'm wrong....the starters and the backend pitching is not good enough IMOP. We'll see how it plays out.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Yeah, you're right. It was Turner #2, I did forget about him.....I didn't like Correa at all.

Hopefully, I'm wrong....the starters and the backend pitching is not good enough IMOP. We'll see how it plays out.
Bring back Hendricks as the closer and watch him turn into the next Eck

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I am going to throw a going away party for Eric Hosmer when the time comes and get really drunk. He’s not invited by the way.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I am going to throw a going away party for Eric Hosmer when the time comes and get really drunk. He’s not invited by the way.
I assume the case of alligator arms by him which caused an E6 for the GG shortstop is in your craw. Don't blame you, I don't like the 1B situation either

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I assume the case of alligator arms by him which caused an E6 for the GG shortstop is in your craw. Don't blame you, I don't like the 1B situation either
Didn't the ball hit the runners leg a deflect a different direction?