Cubs vs. Mariners

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
I know about the game. I have wathed for many years. I don't need shiny new things. Quite the opposite.

But I know one thing: Baseball was BORING recently due to the three outcome approach, the lack of action on the bases and the length of games. And that is from me, who is far from hung up on game length vs what is occurring during that time. I don't see the thrill of watching Rick Sutcliffe hold the ball for eight minutes netween pitches or make that endless fale to third throw to first move (and I love Sutcliffe!). I don't get the thrill of seeing Skip Schumaker adjust both batting gloves after every pitch, including all those on which he doesn't move at all. Those delays do nothing to enhance the game, and that does not mean only purists understand them.

I considered Manfred's attempts to change things to be questionable when proposed. But so far they're having a positive effect.
My issue is with the pitch clock, it may shorten the game, but it ruins the native rhythm of the game. If you played the game you understand the interplay of the batter and pitcher. The batter is at an extreme disadvantage which creates a natural tension, the pitcher and the batter stepping on and off the rubber, in and out of the box is part of the fun of the game. Those granular little details are wonderful. Now, the changes they made to the game to get stealing back in play are not very disruptive and so far things are looking up, including batting averages, but none of that is due to the pitch clock. I never had a problem with the length of games, it was the lack of action, everybody swinging for the fences, and striking out that was hurting the game more than anything. I will live with the pitch clock and just be thankful we have baseball.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
My issue is with the pitch clock, it may shorten the game, but it ruins the native rhythm of the game. If you played the game you understand the interplay of the batter and pitcher. The batter is at an extreme disadvantage which creates a natural tension, the pitcher and the batter stepping on and off the rubber, in and out of the box is part of the fun of the game. Those granular little details are wonderful. Now, the changes they made to the game to get stealing back in play are not very disruptive and so far things are looking up, including batting averages, but none of that is due to the pitch clock. I never had a problem with the length of games, it was the lack of action, everybody swinging for the fences, and striking out that was hurting the game more than anything. I will live with the pitch clock and just be thankful we have baseball.
Ohhh so now you admit the game was hurting and in need of something to salvage, or dare I say… “save” it?!

:oprah:

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What a bunch of bullshit. Maybe someone should ask Greg Maddux or Jim Kaat about the "the native rhythm of the game"......as they specialized in 2 hour games on their way to the HOF. Guys like Steve Trachsel knew all about baseball's "rhythm" as after two hours he was usually in the 4th inning while his defenders are getting bored and looking for hot babes in the stands.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Wesneski is getting absolutely shelled.

His defense isn't helping him any either. Swanson fucked up a DP.

And he just got pulled. To the pen in the bottom of the 2nd!

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Thanks for explaining the obvious as though you alone are smart enough to understand.

How high a level must one have played to understand there is interplay between pitchers and batters?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
When you wrote "save" it sounded terminal to me. Baseball being saved by a pitch clock from what, people who don't know anything about the game having to have something shiny shown to them every 30 seconds or they will turn on a rerun of Gilligan's island. The pitch clock is not about baseball, it is about profits for the owners. If the owners are handing out 200 million contracts like they were Pez, there ain't nobody going hungry here...Yes, I am a purist, I love pitchers hitting, pitchers wandering around the mound, batters readjusting, we'll call it "stuff', etc... I like bunts and double steals hitting behind the runner, suicide squeezes, safety squeezes, you know, baseball.
Im confused, you angered about stolen bases but like the time when stealing basees were prevelant? Baseball was hurting cause we live in a time of short attention spans and pitch clock has shortened games. But, if you are a purist, you should like the small ball being played or you just being a a clot dick that means my girl clit is bigger than your dick and she aint on roids.

wonky73

Las Vegas Sorts News
Liked Posts:
What a game. Almost turned it off in after the second.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Big take away from this game is the Cubs hitters walked as many times as the struck out. Those unearned runs hurt, but the bats came through tonight. Now let's see if Stro can keep his thing going this year tomorrow.

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
The final Mariners game was a textbook on how NOT to play offense in the MLB, for the Cubs. It is hard to win games with 9 strikeouts and 1 walk, and only six total baserunners. For the Cubs to develop into a competitive team, they just flat can't play very many games like this. I know it is a 162 game season, but it will seem a lot longer if we accept a performance like this. To get to the World Series (hopefully, eventually) in the post season we will ultimately see lots of really good pitchers with no journeymen pitchers in between, we have to learn how to get men on base and score consistently to beat the top hurlers . Have a great day, Go Cubs!