Curious what people's issue is with Dan Quinn?

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I've seen a lot of negative on the guy. I believe he had three years of winning records including a Super bowl appearance with Atlanta, his first year was eight and eight, and his last 3 years sucked before being fired when Atlanta went O and five.

But around the time Atlanta started sinking, didn't their general manager just do really horribly in the drafts?

So I want to ask, other than Quinn not being the sexy pick, what are people's issues with him?

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've seen a lot of negative on the guy. I believe he had three years of winning records including a Super bowl appearance with Atlanta, his first year was eight and eight, and his last 3 years sucked before being fired when Atlanta went O and five.

But around the time Atlanta started sinking, didn't their general manager just do really horribly in the drafts?

So I want to ask, other than Quinn not being the sexy pick, what are people's issues with him?
Played a weak ass schedule and anytime it was someone decent they got rolled.....simple

Yogi

Liked Posts:
Only two winning seasons, and one of those he came in 3rd in his division, with the other four at .500 or worse. Inherited a 3x probowl QB and a top two WR powering a top 10 offense in five of Quinn's six years (and three of the four before he arrived), while his defenses ranked 20th or worse in four of the six.

On the plus side, he was better than his overall average within the division, with a 17-8 record against the NFC South in his last five years. But with the hand he was dealt, the Falcons should have been a lot better than they were.

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
This issue with Dan Quinn is that much of his early success can be directly tied to Kyle Shanahan and the Falcons offense.

If you look at his defensive rankings (which is supposed to be his specialty) as head coach over the years with Atlanta, they are pretty bad:

2015: 16th yards, 14th points
2016: 25th yards, 27th points
2017: 9th yards, 8th points
2018: 28th yards, 25th points
2019: 20th yards, 23nd points
2020: 29th yards, 19th points

He's like the defensive version of Matt Nagy. He road the coattails of an explosive offense while his side of the ball continued to hold the team back.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ryan and Julio were a plug and play top 10 passing attack. They were doing it for half a decade before Quinn and Shanahan got there. He didn't screw it up, but I also can't give him much credit for it.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I think there's a lot of good answers. So here's my next question:

If Dan Quinn has a Kyle shanahan level OC he's bringing along, does that make him a more appealing option?

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Didn’t he originate the club dub styles in practice? Yea, that’s enough for me..

2Deep

Liked Posts:

If Dan Quinn has a Kyle shanahan level OC he's bringing along, does that make him a more appealing option?
I think it would.
Quinn has been a decent/good coach but I honesty he is a better D coordinator then head coach. To me, just my crazy thoughts, if you are going to hire Quinn as HC then I would rather have Vic Fangio as head coach paired up with a good/great OC.
At least we know Fangio's defenses would be good.

I am not advocating for that but my thoughts.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
With a Defensive head coach, If the OC starts to click with Fields, he will be gone after 1-2 years. While Fields is still developing. I would be more open to it if Fields was a 4+ year vet, but right now I just think you're cutting Fields' chance of developing into the franchise significantly if you go defensive.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:

Does it make it more appealing, sure. But that’s a big if. Who is out there that that’s on the level of Kyle Shanahan?