Dak signs

Luke

Liked Posts:
or rather, agrees to extension

fyi..

March 8th, 2021 at 5:50pm CST by Sam Robinson
This is breaking news. Please refresh for updates.

The Cowboys’ two-year negotiation saga with Dak Prescott is over. The team announced it has an extension agreement in place with its five-year starting quarterback.

This will prevent Dallas from having to tag Prescott for a second time, at a $37.7MM price, and give the franchise long-sought-after quarterback security. This deal comes after a few reports indicating increased optimism appeared present in Round 3 of the parties’ negotiations, and such reports turned out to be prescient.

The numbers are in. This is a major win for Prescott. The five-year veteran agreed to a four-year, $160MM contract, Adam Schefter of ESPN.com tweets. He will receive an NFL-record $126MM guaranteed, with Schefter adding that the deal will come with $66MM at signing and $75MM in Year 1 (Twitter link). This monster accord will come with a no-trade clause and will prevent the Cowboys from tagging Prescott again in 2025, Ian Rapoport of NFL.com tweets.

Should these figures hold up, the NFL now has two $40MM-per-year players — Prescott and Patrick Mahomes. While Mahomes’ $45MM-per-year deal is a Chiefs-friendly accord, in that it is a 10-year pact, Prescott’s tops Deshaun Watson‘s contract in terms of traditional quarterback pacts. The Cowboys, after haggling with Team Dak for nearly two years, made an aggressive push to finalize this deal Monday, Schefter tweets. The team became more amenable to a shorter-term Prescott pact, per Ed Werder of ESPN.com (on Twitter) this time around. The Cowboys had previously sought a five-year contract for their quarterback; that ended up prompting Prescott to play last season on the tag.

Prescott, 26, became extension-eligible after the 2018 regular season ended. The former fourth-round pick and Offensive Rookie of the Year played the 2019 season on his rookie deal and played the 2020 slate on the franchise tag. A day ahead of the 2021 franchise tag deadline, the sides will wrap up this process. By avoiding the $37MM-plus payment clogging up their cap, the Cowboys will have more free agency funds.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I really like Dak Prescott as a player and person so I hope this works out, but there's basically no chance it works out. That's entirely too much money for a guy who's not even in that "great, but not great enough" tier. There's no easy way out of this one either, $126,000,000 guaranteed...my god.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
The Cowboys like their QBs like i like my pirates.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Good for Dak. Now they need to continue building around him. And fix that lousy D.

Speed

Liked Posts:
Dak's a good QB. Rather pay a premium for a good QB than be totally ass out like the Bears.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
Dak's a good QB. Rather pay a premium for a good QB than be totally ass out like the Bears.

I think you could make the argument that the modern history of the NFL shows the opposite. Paying a premium for a non elite QB almost never works out in terms of having the salary cap space to build and maintain a legitimate contender (where a true elite QB can better overcome roster weaknesses). But I guess what is considered a premium and who is elite is subjective.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I really like Dak Prescott as a player and person so I hope this works out, but there's basically no chance it works out. That's entirely too much money for a guy who's not even in that "great, but not great enough" tier. There's no easy way out of this one either, $126,000,000 guaranteed...my god.
You really like Dak as a person? U guys hang? LOL wtf bro.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Always felt like they would 100% for sure extend him to a new contract after that injury just for a good faith/pr move.

Did not expect him getting the deal he held out for.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I think you could make the argument that the modern history of the NFL shows the opposite. Paying a premium for a non elite QB almost never works out in terms of having the salary cap space to build and maintain a legitimate contender (where a true elite QB can better overcome roster weaknesses). But I guess what is considered a premium and who is elite is subjective.

But I guess what is considered a premium and who is elite is subjective.

this

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I dont think it works out even for elite quarterbacks. There are twenty-two players on the field and devoting a quarter of your salary cap to one of them might actually be very bad business.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
I dont think it works out even for elite quarterbacks. There are twenty-two players on the field and devoting a quarter of your salary cap to one of them might actually be very bad business.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the Chiefs roster in the next several years now that Mahomes monster deal kicks in for the 2021 season.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
It will be interesting to see what happens with the Chiefs roster in the next several years now that Mahomes monster deal kicks in for the 2021 season.
I think we got a little preview of it in the Super Bowl, but we'll see. I'm not sure Mahomes profile is going to be as effective when he doesn't have the supporting cast he's been blessed to start his career with.