Player B
Wins : 40
Completion % : 64
Yards : 22793
TD : 143
INT : 62
Av Yards/Game : 243
Rating : 90

One of these is Andy Dalton. The other is Derek Carr...a guy we advocated the Bears giving up multiple first round picks for. A guy that many said would make the Bears immediate super bowl contenders."

Dude, real question...are you a member of the McCaskey or Pace families? You hate Mitch, and cry about needing a good quarterback, but have become the president of the Andy Dalton fan club. Be consistent. If you want to see the Bears get better QB play, which I think most of us want, then demand that they actually draft a QB, even if it's a late round swing, or sign a legit free agent. Or even better, do both. Not just settling for an old QB who was never that great to begin with and is now, maybe, a top 25 QB in his mid 30's.

Mitch sucks. I'm glad he's gone. But Dalton sucks too. And arguably is not an improvement. And is older and more expensive. Dalton is not the answer, even for one year. And to break down your comparison, Carr is 4 years younger, and threw a few less interceptions, a few more yards, and a hell of a lot more touchdowns over the period you're using (19 over this sample size is actually pretty significant, especially when you consider how many games come down to a field goal, or less).

I'm not taking up for Carr...I'm glad the Bears didn't go after him. But Jesus fucking Christ man, Dalton is not the hill you should be dying on. Tell your friends Teddy and Nagy that the Bears still need a QB 1, not a one year band aid who will likely just help them to a 7-10 season with another middling first round draft pick selection. Better to go 2 and 15 with Foles and take a real swing in 2022 than try and relive the magic of the Dave Wannstedt/Dick Jauron era. Dalton is literally the worst thing that can happen to this franchise. Just sets the overwhelmingly likely rebuild back a year, while providing zero entertainment value and zero chance at a playoff run.

JurisFrog

Liked Posts:
He’s was pretty good like 5 years ago. He’s below average now.

Anybody who is actually happy with Andy Dalton as the Bears QB should have an asterisk next to their profile that indicates nobody should take the opinion of said poster seriously. Lol at upgrade. How? Because you say it is? Getting an old QB downtrending consistently for the last 4 years is an upgrade or something we should be happy about? Okay?

I‘m convinced they got him as a placeholder or backup anyway and Pace has some plan that worst case scenario involves a second round qb like Trask.

No, the TTNL guy says. please link me to your YouTube page where you perform professional analysis of qb’s and mechanics with a widespread following. Then I can weigh your opinions against the obviously qualified TTNL team whose vid was posted by OP.

JurisFrog

Liked Posts:
Bottom line, AD is better than MT. Full stop. There’s just no real debate there. Beyond that, we are in wait and see mode. Hopefully the Bears draft for OL and WR

dennehy

Liked Posts:
No, the TTNL guy says. please link me to your YouTube page where you perform professional analysis of qb’s and mechanics with a widespread following. Then I can weigh your opinions against the obviously qualified TTNL team whose vid was posted by OP.
Dude was on Trubisky's nutsack for years.

Just saying.

Bort

Liked Posts:
Draft Dr Phil Ottochian presents “The Tape Never Lies” A Football Educational Video Series. You can follow Phil ( @phil_ottochian on Instagram also Phil Ottochian on Facebook ) The Tape Never Lies This week Phil looks at the #ChicagoBears newest addition on the #offense led by #AndyDalton as DDP randomly selected games and takes a look at QB Andy Dalton and his footwork

• Ball Accuracy • Arm strength • Fundamentals • ball handling skills • timing and anticipation.

It’s a full on dive into the tape of Dalton.

I usually like TTNL, but I strongly disagree with this film breakdown. I think Dalton looked pretty bad overall in this film. Most notably, there were only 2 really good throws (the one at 14:00 and the one at 19:10). Every other completion was a pretty routine, easy throw that you would expect a starting NFL quarterback to make consistently. Maybe Bears fans' expectations are so low from years of awful quarterback play that normal, routine plays get us excited?

Just a few examples where I think TTNL was wrong:

At 3:55, the linebackers thought they were in a zone, but the corner on the left side of the screen is playing man, leaving the field totally wide open on the left side of the screen. If Dalton waits another half second for the receiver to clear the linebacker, he has like half the field unoccupied in front of him and is going to have a huge gain. Instead, Dalton throws the ball directly into the spot a linebacker is occupying and turns what should have been a big gain into an interception. Terrible recognition by Dalton.

The throw at 6:20 was not a dime. Dalton underthrew it, forcing the receiver to slow down and turn around and making it a much more difficult catch than it had to be. The fact that the receiver still should have caught it is irrelevant. It was still an underthrown ball that forced the receiver to slow down and turn around.

The throw at 6:50 was a terrible read that cost him an easy touchdown. The Vikings totally blew the coverage on the TE in the slot and tried to gift Dalton an easy touchdown pass on the side of the field where Dalton was supposed to be making his read, and Dalton just missed it. Terrible.

The throw at 17:55 was more at the receiver's head than his back shoulder, and if Dalton had actually thrown it accurately to the receiver's back shoulder, it would have made it much easier for the receiver to make the catch.

On the throw at 18:20, Dalton almost got his receiver decapitated by leading him directly into the safety (fortunately for the receiver, it looks like the safety was the one who got injured in the collision, but that's the kind of throw that gets your receivers injured.)

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I usually like TTNL, but I strongly disagree with this film breakdown. I think Dalton looked pretty bad overall in this film. Most notably, there were only 2 really good throws (the one at 14:00 and the one at 19:10). Every other completion was a pretty routine, easy throw that you would expect a starting NFL quarterback to make consistently. Maybe Bears fans' expectations are so low from years of awful quarterback play that normal, routine plays get us excited?

Just a few examples where I think TTNL was wrong:

At 3:55, the linebackers thought they were in a zone, but the corner on the left side of the screen is playing man, leaving the field totally wide open on the left side of the screen. If Dalton waits another half second for the receiver to clear the linebacker, he has like half the field unoccupied in front of him and is going to have a huge gain. Instead, Dalton throws the ball directly into the spot a linebacker is occupying and turns what should have been a big gain into an interception. Terrible recognition by Dalton.

The throw at 6:20 was not a dime. Dalton underthrew it, forcing the receiver to slow down and turn around and making it a much more difficult catch than it had to be. The fact that the receiver still should have caught it is irrelevant. It was still an underthrown ball that forced the receiver to slow down and turn around.

The throw at 6:50 was a terrible read that cost him an easy touchdown. The Vikings totally blew the coverage on the TE in the slot and tried to gift Dalton an easy touchdown pass on the side of the field where Dalton was supposed to be making his read, and Dalton just missed it. Terrible.

The throw at 17:55 was more at the receiver's head than his back shoulder, and if Dalton had actually thrown it accurately to the receiver's back shoulder, it would have made it much easier for the receiver to make the catch.

On the throw at 18:20, Dalton almost got his receiver decapitated by leading him directly into the safety (fortunately for the receiver, it looks like the safety was the one who got injured in the collision, but that's the kind of throw that gets your receivers injured.)

It’s a grasping at straws breakdown. I honestly have not seen many breakdowns from this person, so I don’t really know his knowledge/style/emphasis. But in this video, the narrator is trying to keep your focus on Dalton’s throwing mechanics when said mechanics still fail him regularly.

If you switch your focus of Dalton’s 2020 season off of his mechanics and onto the field (like you just did), he showed very concerning ball placement even with said mechanics. Even with no pressure...

ImpassionedSandyGoldfish-size_restricted.gif

FancyGeneralErmine-size_restricted.gif

And when he does sense pressure, he bails on his progressions, develops tunnel vision, and his mechanics falter, like this 3rd and short in the same game.

AnimatedHappyAmericancreamdraft-size_restricted.gif

Now I’m not saying Dalton is not an upgrade. He’s a great pre snap QB, has a stronger arm than Foles, and is still a plus athletically. This is more scrutinizing the breakdown itself and what it chose to focus on, the stellar throwing mechanics of a QB with erratic ball placement.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That. We need to draft a QB early and Andy can hold the fort for a bit. I'm not a fan of Andy but he's clearly not worse than what we have/had and can fit most schemes.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That. We need to draft a QB early and Andy can hold the fort for a bit. I'm not a fan of Andy but he's clearly not worse than what we have/had and can fit most schemes.

In retrospect, with this supposed run on QB’s in the upcoming draft, probably should have just grabbed Wentz.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
In retrospect, with this supposed run on QB’s in the upcoming draft, probably should have just grabbed Wentz.
I wonder how feasible that was. What's interesting is that we had 1st shot at Ballard. I would have said Ballard and, who I've always liked, Reich but really, Ballard wanted Nagy and McDaniels and lucked out on his consolation hire.

Liked Posts:
Bottom line, AD is better than MT. Full stop. There’s just no real debate there. Beyond that, we are in wait and see mode. Hopefully the Bears draft for OL and WR

No real debate lol. You're comparing two turds.

AD had a very talented offense put around him in Cinci for year just to make him look slightly above average. Couldn't win a playoff game to save his life. Imagine how shitty he's going to be here with a crappy OL, running game, and Nagy calling plays.

At least Mitch could use his feet once in a while to make a play or two, wtf is AD going to do other than just stand around and wait to get hit? This offense is going to be real bad and real boring.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Originally yes, I agree.

But now you have a bunch of brain dead losers who are trying to morph that hatred and justify it by claiming Andy Dalton is a worse quarterback than he actually is.

And any attempts to say otherwise by anyone is greeted with jeers from the peanut gallery claiming that defending him is tantamount to declaring him a Hall of Fame franchise quarterback.

Thus far, I have not seen anyone call Andy Dalton the franchise quarterback. But I have seen people say he is above average which is the truth.
I have seen people say that Dalton is significantly better than Mitch trubisky and Nick Foles which is also the truth.

And for the sin of saying this, you have people piling on and you know the type - those who don't think the Bears need a franchise quarterback, those who think the Bears should find a franchise quarterback in the sixth round, those who think Mitch trubisky was a franchise quarterback if not for that darn meddling coaching staff and their mangy dog .... Well, you know.....

Morons.
Andy Dalton is utter trash and Im not a Bears fan

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I am amazed that everyone is losing their shit over this.
The bears supposedly tried to hit some home runs and didn't get it done.
They then pull in a guy that will hold down the fort or maybe surprise people and return to 2016 form.

Mitch has run his course. I have no interest in any of the young reclamation projects that were out there- would rather see them find that in the draft.
Since the blockbuster moves didn't work out, Dalton is a fine journeyman to hold a spot... especially considering the lack of other options.

Eventually the bears will get their heads out of their asses and decide to commit to finding a franchise guy in the draft that will lock the position down for 15 years, no matter how many tries it takes.
Until that point, everyone is a placeholder.

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
Dude was on Trubisky's nutsack for years.

Just saying.

I don’t care about Trubisky. I was cool with the Bears moving on from him in the off-season. It doesn’t have anything to do with thinking Trubisky is some answer. It has to do with knowing Andy Dalton isn’t the answer. In any way whatsoever. Not even as a fort holder. Who would he need to hold the fort for? Kellen Mond? If they draft a guy early he is starting. If the Bears are stuck with Dalton and insert 3rd rounder Bears draft who has like a what, 20% chance of becoming a legit starter they are screwed way more than likely. So when Dalton goes 5-12 or whatever terrible record that inevitably leaves you drafting a qb high again anyway. It’s just a wasted year with a punchers chance that some third rounder steps in and is actually legit.

And nothing whatsoever other than irrelevant stats from 6 years concerning a player who is now 34 indicates that he is an upgrade. It’s just some stupid line sunshine pumpers say to create this narrative that signing Andy Dalton actually makes any sense. “We’ll, he’s an upgrade. Herp derp.” How? Do you even watch football outside of Bears games? He’s old and washed up. The Bears are going to be one of the worst teams in the league if Andy Dalton is their starter. I don’t really care about your stupid derpcon level 5 nonsense about him being an upgrade.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Championship!

Bear Down!

Never said that either.

Technically I said 10 -6 (pre schedule change) and 1 playoff win. Just enough for everyone to keep their jobs...

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Only idiots attribute wins and losses to quarterbacks

But not as much as anyone hinting that bum ass QB should have been brought back

:getout:

Who should we attribute them to? Maybe we can blame the guy in section C row 25.

Exactly

At some point the guy ( Qb) who has the ball in his hand every play has to be held accountable.