Dalton will be JF1's sideline coach (clipboard holder)

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Using your stats, what is the difference between Dalton and Little Dick Foles?

Both close to 50% winning percentage
Same completion percentage
Dalton started 126 games or 2.29 what Foles played (2.29*55=126)
81TDs*2.29=185.5TDs (12.5 less TDs)
43Ints*2.29= 98.5 Ints (14.5 less INTs)

What makes Dalton a better asset than Foles, the worse TD to INT percentage?
Starting experience. I thought it was pretty simple, guess over y'alls heads.

Plus: "We are getting a slightly better version of Nick Foles, in Andy Dalton."

Last edited:

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
This is so typical. Some of you are so excited to see what Justin Fields can do you are willing to risk negatively impacting his development and possibly hurting the team this year.

Some of you have gone so far into the excitement that bashing Dalton seems like the best way to accomplish your end goal of seeing Fields on the field.

He's a rookie. It's almost best to pretend he's not a part of the active roster. Let him adapt to the speed of the game and get confident in the scheme before putting him out there. If the season breaks where he gets reps without the pressure of winning that's a blessing in disguise.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Looking at your posts show you're in the same boat. Alex Bars the future at guard? Trubisky better than Mahomes?

Come on man.

When did I say this?

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
This is so typical. Some of you are so excited to see what Justin Fields can do you are willing to risk negatively impacting his development and possibly hurting the team this year.

Some of you have gone so far into the excitement that bashing Dalton seems like the best way to accomplish your end goal of seeing Fields on the field.

He's a rookie. It's almost best to pretend he's not a part of the active roster. Let him adapt to the speed of the game and get confident in the scheme before putting him out there. If the season breaks where he gets reps without the pressure of winning that's a blessing in disguise.
Start Fields, sit Fields, it is a debate no fan can win. None of us know how far along he is coming out of college, but what we do know is the the vast majority of highly drafted QB's will start in their rookie year sooner rather than later.

Canth

Liked Posts:

The next couple of weeks will be interesting from a media and fan discussion point of view. Wednesday will be the first open to the media practice since the rookie minicamp. And it will be the first time that Fields and Dalton will be viewed back to back so to speak. I fully expect a good portion of the Chicago media to overanalyze the heck out of every throw and ask Nagy the same question of "Will Fields start week 1?" in 50 slightly different ways and get mad when he continues to use coach speak and give them a non answer. No doubt there will be many articles for us to read about the upcoming non answer.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Start Fields, sit Fields, it is a debate no fan can win. None of us know how far along he is coming out of college, but what we do know is the the vast majority of highly drafted QB's will start in their rookie year sooner rather than later.
I think that's sorta faulty logic. Often the teams drafting high have significant gaps throughout their team and often have to start players early out of necessity. Not really something you want to think of as 'best practices'.

Specific to this season teams that would fall into that bracket are the Jags and Jets. Both teams are far worse than the Bears. Add in that they both turned over their coaching staff and ended up drafting the two highest rated prospects I think that's more of a unique situation.

The other first round QBs are Lance and Jones. There's a real chance both start the season on the bench since both 49ers and Pats have their starters (Jimmy G and Cam) and there's no need to rush them in.

Fields is sort of in the middle of that mess, so does the Bears situation look more like the Jags/Jets or more like 49ers/Pats?

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
The next couple of weeks will be interesting from a media and fan discussion point of view. Wednesday will be the first open to the media practice since the rookie minicamp. And it will be the first time that Fields and Dalton will be viewed back to back so to speak. I fully expect a good portion of the Chicago media to overanalyze the heck out of every throw and ask Nagy the same question of "Will Fields start week 1?" in 50 slightly different ways and get mad when he continues to use coach speak and give them a non answer. No doubt there will be many articles for us to read about the upcoming non answer.
I agree 100%, but also think that's flawed logic. You'll be comparing the two while they are throwing against air (no D), in 1-on-1 and in specific game scripted situations. That's nice, but far from playing against a defense looking to trick the O.

If Fields is completely killing it while Dalton seems to be stumbling in practice, then sure an argument can be made, but I'd expect Dalton, an 11 year pro, to be consistent in all the drills that he's been doing the past 11 seasons. I'm not saying Fields is a flop, but Dalton just has a lot more experience when it comes to executing in training camp AND in NFL games.

I want to be 100% clear. In wanting the best for Fields in Chicago I want him to sit this season. Based on a few of the criticisms from knowledgable analysts (For me that's Simms and Cosell) I think it's best for him to take a season and adjust to the speed of the game while working on his mechanics and progressions. It's no different than when he sat and watched Jake Fromm in Georgia as a freshman. I just feel that approach is consistent to what happened in college, which lead to him being worth a high draft pick.

jbunch14

Liked Posts:
Why you read my threads on the daily I should charge you a monthly subscription but you wouldn't be able to afford your Mom's basement anymore.
Run-on sentence, please correct. TIA.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Starting experience. I thought it was pretty simple, guess over y'alls heads.

Plus: "We are getting a slightly better version of Nick Foles, in Andy Dalton."
Well, I just have two things to say to that argument.

1. The B2 Spirit Stealth Bomber is the most expensive airplane ever built at a whopping 2.1 billion dollars

2. The Graff Diamonds Hallucination is the most expensive watch ever made at 55 million dollars.

Before these statements go over your head, notice how they were 100% useless to the argument?

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
I think that's sorta faulty logic. Often the teams drafting high have significant gaps throughout their team and often have to start players early out of necessity. Not really something you want to think of as 'best practices'.

Specific to this season teams that would fall into that bracket are the Jags and Jets. Both teams are far worse than the Bears. Add in that they both turned over their coaching staff and ended up drafting the two highest rated prospects I think that's more of a unique situation.

The other first round QBs are Lance and Jones. There's a real chance both start the season on the bench since both 49ers and Pats have their starters (Jimmy G and Cam) and there's no need to rush them in.

Fields is sort of in the middle of that mess, so does the Bears situation look more like the Jags/Jets or more like 49ers/Pats?
Hold on here...........your Eagles started Wentz as a rookie, he went 7-9 I believe and in year two was in the running for MVP before a knee injury. I don't think the Eagles were in the Jets/Jags bracket in 2016, and I think Lance starts sooner rather than later much like RG111 did when Shanny was in Washington. Just as Shanny has said Jimmy G is the starter.........right now.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, I just have two things to say to that argument.

1. The B2 Spirit Stealth Bomber is the most expensive airplane ever built at a whopping 2.1 billion dollars

2. The Graff Diamonds Hallucination is the most expensive watch ever made at 55 million dollars.

Before these statements go over your head, notice how they were 100% useless to the argument?
Zero fucks.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Depends how you look at stats. Dalton is a better QB.
Notice how I used the OPs stats?

His whole argument was, Dalton is better than Foles because of these stats of Dalton, Foles and Cousins (?).

The stats are pointless especially since they point to worse numbers from Dalton to Foles. Better to leave them out and say that he has started more than Foles.

I never said that Foles was better than Dalton. The numbers taken from the OP pointed to that.

Dalton is a better QB. The stats shown do not help the argument though

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Hold on here...........your Eagles started Wentz as a rookie, he went 7-9 I believe and in year two was in the running for MVP before a knee injury. I don't think the Eagles were in the Jets/Jags bracket in 2016, and I think Lance starts sooner rather than later much like RG111 did when Shanny was in Washington. Just as Shanny has said Jimmy G is the starter.........right now.
Good points, but just to show how things played out:
  • Philly was a mess - The 7-9 record seemed okay, but Chip Kelly was just canned BEFORE the season ended and the team was a mess. Howie Roseman went full wizard in moving horrible contracts (Maxwell, Alonso and Murray) and outside of starting a few games pre-McNabb no one knew who Doug Pederson was.
  • The plan was to sit Wentz the entire season - Fortunate for the Eagles Teddy Bridgewater shredded his knee and the Vikings called and offered a 1st plus a 4th rounder for Sam Bradford. Wentz literally found out he was the starting QB a week before the regular season (trade happened on Sept. 3rd, first game was Sept. 11th).
  • Wentz was playing MVP ball in year 2 and the 11-2 record amassed while he was the starter absolutely helped them win a Superbowl. That doesn't counter your side, but reaffirms it.
When looking back on the Wentz rise and fall ultimately he wasn't a good fit for the city/team. It wasn't just the 2020 OL problems, but little things along the way. I do wonder if the team having a nice development plan for him being flipped into him starting immediately had something to do with him just not trusting the team. Sort of started things off in one direction and because they were offered decent compensation they put a lot more pressure on him. He responded well, but clearly it wasn't the long term relationship both sides anticipated when he was drafted #2 overall.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Notice how I used the OPs stats?

His whole argument was, Dalton is better than Foles because of these stats of Dalton, Foles and Cousins (?).

The stats are pointless especially since they point to worse numbers from Dalton to Foles. Better to leave them out and say that he has started more than Foles.

I never said that Foles was better than Dalton. The numbers taken from the OP pointed to that.

Dalton is a better QB. The stats shown do not help the argument though
He’s slightly better with more in game experience. I can’t break this down any further. Fuck.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Good points, but just to show how things played out:
  • Philly was a mess - The 7-9 record seemed okay, but Chip Kelly was just canned BEFORE the season ended and the team was a mess. Howie Roseman went full wizard in moving horrible contracts (Maxwell, Alonso and Murray) and outside of starting a few games pre-McNabb no one knew who Doug Pederson was.
  • The plan was to sit Wentz the entire season - Fortunate for the Eagles Teddy Bridgewater shredded his knee and the Vikings called and offered a 1st plus a 4th rounder for Sam Bradford. Wentz literally found out he was the starting QB a week before the regular season (trade happened on Sept. 3rd, first game was Sept. 11th).
  • Wentz was playing MVP ball in year 2 and the 11-2 record amassed while he was the starter absolutely helped them win a Superbowl. That doesn't counter your side, but reaffirms it.
When looking back on the Wentz rise and fall ultimately he wasn't a good fit for the city/team. It wasn't just the 2020 OL problems, but little things along the way. I do wonder if the team having a nice development plan for him being flipped into him starting immediately had something to do with him just not trusting the team. Sort of started things off in one direction and because they were offered decent compensation they put a lot more pressure on him. He responded well, but clearly it wasn't the long term relationship both sides anticipated when he was drafted #2 overall.
I would say the string of injuries hampered him more than anything else. The injuries he had in the past had to have been in the back of his mind when all the injuries to the Eagles OL started to take place.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I would say the string of injuries hampered him more than anything else. The injuries he had in the past had to have been in the back of his mind when all the injuries to the Eagles OL started to take place.

I've followed it closely and the only thing I can think of is it was a combination of:
  • City was a bit too big for him
  • He felt the team lied to him - This is a combo of his development plan to drafting Hurts
  • Injures piled up - This is compounded in a big market
  • 2020 OL looked like the MASH infantry
  • Pressure to do what Foles did as opposed to appreciate the team accomplishment
  • Wasn't being coached hard - HC Doug Pederson and QB coach Press Taylor let him get away with too much
  • Relationship between the HC and GM deteriorated - rumors are he stopped talking to Doug for stretches of 2020 and before he was traded Wentz would take calls from anyone other than Roseman
It's just sad. Honestly if the Eagles didn't win a Superbowl in 2017 this would be regarded as one of the biggest player/team divorces of the city. Probably comparable to Reggie White forcing his way out.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
He’s slightly better with more in game experience. I can’t break this down any further. Fuck.

I don't think you realize how stupid you look by saying he's slightly better. I don't think you understand the basics of QB play.