Darling Back In Rockford

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
Didn't he sign with someone?

I wouldn't mind the guy on the Hawks

Granada

Liked Posts:
Nothing against the guy personally, but Darling was utterly atrocious on the Hurricanes (was bought out with I think 2 years remaining on his contract) and he's 32 years old. Not sure why Darling tanked the way he did when he left Chicago -- maybe the pressure of his first big contract got to him. Regardless, with Lankinen up for the foreseeable future, this is strictly a Rockford move. At least, it better be.

galaxytrash

Liked Posts:
it's just a PTO for the hogs. it's just a few bucks.
he's going to be battling juggernauts matt tomkins, cale morris and tom auburn.
out of the 4, only one has had a hand in a cup run. or to take another tangent...to be singled out by an american president. (i know i know. that won't help his glove hand or his 5 hole or his rebound control.)
32 isn't that old for a goalie in any league. he's been defying the odds for a long time now. maybe again? i doubt it but who knows.
myself, i think it's cool the organisation has given him a chance. the fucking guy deserves it.

Last edited:

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Agreed he deserves it for time served, and we should remember he was Chicago's own before being a Hawk and proud to serve his home city.

So its sad he fizzled, but the Hogs would be his natural minor league affiliate for a last chance.

Given the goalie situation and his size/experience,

I cant imagine the Hawks having the patience not to at least get him in form and take a serious look at him with the big club. No goalie is around who can prevent that.

The guy is as big as Ben Bishop, and once this team gives up thats really what we need just to put a respect plug back there and keep scores down.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We should learn to deploy Suppan against highly skilled side to side speed scoring teams, and Darling against heavy teams.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Nothing against the guy personally, but Darling was utterly atrocious on the Hurricanes (was bought out with I think 2 years remaining on his contract) and he's 32 years old. Not sure why Darling tanked the way he did when he left Chicago -- maybe the pressure of his first big contract got to him. Regardless, with Lankinen up for the foreseeable future, this is strictly a Rockford move. At least, it better be.
If Subban and Delia falter...and only if they falter, I wouldn't mind him behind Lankinen. That being said kids 1st.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Subban and Delia falter...and only if they falter, I wouldn't mind him behind Lankinen. That being said kids 1st.
If Suppan could play himself into trade bait with a few more 30ish save performances that would be worth a few rounds of beers in his name. Great performance with his career on the line, now keep it up.

Granada

Liked Posts:
30% of the goalies that have played in the NHL this season have been 32 or older. (18 out of 60)

and if by chance he does make the hogs, i doubt they'd offer him a contract any longer than a year anyways.

Alright, but 70% aren't. I'd say early thirties is old for a hockey player in general. According to a google search, the average retirement age in the NHL is between 28-30, which sounds right to me. It's not impossible to play past 30 by any means but I consider that old for an athlete.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Subban is 27....not a kid....and not very good.
Goalies tend to be older when they break into the league (hell, Lankinen is 25).

And Subban wasn't bad in his last outing. Faltering means being really bad...like Kent Simpson bad. Even so, neither Subban nor Delia have played themselves off the roster yet. It's still Lankinen's net to lose, but I have no problem with Delia and Subban battling for the backup slot.