Darlington: Robinson Tag Could Get Ugly

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Its basically the worst kept secret in the league that the Bears are only franchising Allen Robinson II so they can subsequently trade him. If he really throws some unprofessional social media hissy fit because he can't see the obvious that's on him, not the Bears.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd rather see ARob stay, but if a tag and trade is how it works out, at least we learned our lesson with Alshon to get something when talent walks out the door.

circusboy666

Liked Posts:
He’s going to go wherever we tag/trade him. He’s not going to do anything to lose money. Buh-bye.

Liked Posts:
Bears have all the leverage. They’re not going to let him go for nothing, nor should they. If he wants to hold out and play this game of chicken, he can look at other cases historically to see how that turns out.

Ideally the bears sign and trade him, bears have bigger problems to address and he’s honestly not worth a big investment unless they get Deshaun.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
You'd think one of the teams that will have a young QB, lacks consistent vet WRs, and plenty of cap space and draft capital (JAX, NYJ, MIA) could really use him. Great security blanket with upside type receiver. He get's a four year deal which more or less coincides with their QB window.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
You'd think one of the teams that will have a young QB, lacks consistent vet WRs, and plenty of cap space and draft capital (JAX, NYJ, MIA) could really use him. Great security blanket with upside type receiver. He get's a four year deal which more or less coincides with their QB window.
What Baltimore really wants to do is pull something like the DeAndre Hopkins trade from last off-season. But I doubt a guy at the elite level of Hopkins will even become available unless the Packers cap situation is so desperate that they need to move Devante Adams, and if someone at that level does become available it wont be for a relative pittance.

The next best option for them is a guy like Allen Robinson II who is a tier down from that elite level but is still a viable number one. Perhaps more importantly he fits the profile they are looking for.

All the Bears need to do is get two or three teams bidding against each other for the right to exclusively negotiate an extension for Robinson II. If that happens the return in a trade will get pretty high. Since Robinson II probably represents the best available wide receiver on the market, via trade, draft or free agency, I think it's pretty likely the Bears find a lot of suitors who are willing to one-up each other's price.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
What Baltimore really wants to do is pull something like the DeAndre Hopkins trade from last off-season. But I doubt a guy at the elite level of Hopkins will even become available unless the Packers cap situation is so desperate that they need to move Devante Adams, and if someone at that level does become available it wont be for a relative pittance.

The next best option for them is a guy like Allen Robinson II who is a tier down from that elite level but is still a viable number one. Perhaps more importantly he fits the profile they are looking for.

All the Bears need to do is get two or three teams bidding against each other for the right to exclusively negotiate an extension for Robinson II. If that happens the return in a trade will get pretty high. Since Robinson II probably represents the best available wide receiver on the market, via trade, draft or free agency, I think it's pretty likely the Bears find a lot of suitors who are willing to one-up each other's price.
Baltimore doesn't have a lot of draft capital this year and I don't think they make a lot of trades for players.

The problem with getting a big haul for ARob is that a team will have to give up picks and pay for a new, huge contract. He is the best FA WR on the market, for sure, but if you have to throw in 2nd rounder I think a lot of teams would rather pivot to a Juju or Godwin or Fuller and keep the pick, or draft one of the loaded WR class.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
A third or fourth round pick? What a waste! Man, ARob has been elite for the Bears. They need to find a way to work WITH HIM. JFC this team. They will grind ANY talent into dust. WTF.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Baltimore doesn't have a lot of draft capital this year and I don't think they make a lot of trades for players.

The problem with getting a big haul for ARob is that a team will have to give up picks and pay for a new, huge contract. He is the best FA WR on the market, for sure, but if you have to throw in 2nd rounder I think a lot of teams would rather pivot to a Juju or Godwin or Fuller and keep the pick, or draft one of the loaded WR class.
Godwin is the biggest threat to taking away a huge part of Robinson II's market. His age and profile are really going to be coveted even if on the field both him and Robinson II are probably in the same tier of players. Fuller and Smith-Schuster are a tier or two below, consolation prizes or attempts at striking a bargain.

Another team I really like as a potential Robinson II landing spot is the Bengals. Their number one priority is going to be finding a left tackle with fifth overall so they probably wont have that pick available to draft a receiver. They have so much money they probably won't know really what to do with all of it this off-season, so the contract problem is almost a non-issue. Then there is the fact that they pick high in the second and in the third, which gives the Bears an easy option to offset or add value to a trade by moving forward or backwards in later rounds.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think Robinson, if he is willing to work with the new team, would be worth a 2nd round pick. Probably more in a packaged trade up deal.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Godwin is the biggest threat to taking away a huge part of Robinson II's market. His age and profile are really going to be coveted even if on the field both him and Robinson II are probably in the same tier of players. Fuller and Smith-Schuster are a tier or two below, consolation prizes or attempts at striking a bargain.

Another team I really like as a potential Robinson II landing spot is the Bengals. Their number one priority is going to be finding a left tackle with fifth overall so they probably wont have that pick available to draft a receiver. They have so much money they probably won't know really what to do with all of it this off-season, so the contract problem is almost a non-issue. Then there is the fact that they pick high in the second and in the third, which gives the Bears an easy option to offset or add value to a trade by moving forward or backwards in later rounds.
AR is a better player, but again the point was not is he better, it's is he worth the additional pick? I doubt he's worth a seconder round than those players. Perhaps a third.

The Bengals have Higgins, a prototype X receiver like AR, and Tyler Boyd. WR is probably their strongest position group as they have holes all over the defense and of course OL. They also rarely acquire players via trades.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I think Robinson, if he is willing to work with the new team, would be worth a 2nd round pick. Probably more in a packaged trade up deal.
Is he worth a second round pick when you can get Will Fuller or Juju or Godwin and give up no picks? That's the question.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
AR is a better player, but again the point was not is he better, it's is he worth the additional pick? I doubt he's worth a seconder round than those players. Perhaps a third.

The Bengals have Higgins, a prototype X receiver like AR, and Tyler Boyd. WR is probably their strongest position group as they have holes all over the defense and of course OL. They also rarely acquire players via trades.
I hadn't know they extended Boyd. Take them off the list then.

He gets to be worth the draft pick when teams consider the alternatives and weigh the cost to settling on an inferior player. Especially when those players come with the risk-factors Will Fuller V and Smith-Schuster have that present very realistic scenarios where teams get zero value out of them. Robinson II represents probably the lowest amount of uncertainty of any available wide receiver, even less than Godwin. That's kind of why I don't see the Jets as this natural trading partner unless they pivot to win-now mode with a Watson trade, they are much more willing to see if they can fix Smith-Schuster or get Fuller V to stay healthy since the impetus on a winning 2021 season is pretty low. And if they do get Watson they'll probably be unwilling to part with what little draft capital they have remaining to acquire Robinson II.

Jacksonville is also a poor trading partner for this reason. They are all about developing Lawrence not winning football games in 2021.

Bears need two teams that are risk-averse heading into a 2021 season where they need to make the most out of a competitive window. Teams where heads probably roll if there isn't success. Right now it feels like the two best contestants for that are Miami and Baltimore. The Giants could be a possibility too.