Darnell Mooney

Ironhead22

Liked Posts:
I expect the bears to lose next week and get the 15/16 pick.

If they trade down a bit they could probably pick up a 3rd rounder and still get trask in the early 20's. Use both 3rd rounders to trade up into the late 2nd and pick up toney.

Won't ever happen, but a guy can dream.
You seem to be high on Trask. I don't see it. if he is drafted by the Bears I hope you are right!

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Best thing about Mooney is his hands. Hasn't dropped a single pass this year. Caught one last week below the knees without even losing his stride. My hope when the Bears drafted him was that he'd be another Desean Jackson, but he may be able to be more than that. Hell, he may have to be because the Bears can't get him the ball deep anyway.

94c4lt1

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Best thing about Mooney is his hands. Hasn't dropped a single pass this year. Caught one last week below the knees without even losing his stride. My hope when the Bears drafted him was that he'd be another Desean Jackson, but he may be able to be more than that. Hell, he may have to be because the Bears can't get him the ball deep anyway.

He seems to have ridiculously good hands, yeah. That's a helluva a good combo to have with his speed. The needle is really pointing up for Mooney as he's been pretty sensational for a rookie on a bad offensive team.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He's football obsessed. Exactly what you want out of a prospect, so shrewd to pick him up.

I have said this a few times, but if the draft were held again tomorrow Mooney wouldn't go outside the top fifty. Probably wouldn't even fall out of the first round. His talent is glaring. He's got a lot of twitch to him and explosiveness, he's a legit burner. Never goes down easy. Doesn't have a single drop on the year. That last one is immensely telling about his work ethic. For a rookie to not drop a single pass on eighty-five targets is a feat, and it doesn't happen by accident...especially for a guy who had a drops as a major negative on his scouting reports.

Problem is he's majorly undersized. So undersized that I worry about him suffering a catastrophic injury. He's got to bulk up, even if it costs him some speed. He really just has to get to something like Tyreek Hill's size, that would be enough to at least guarantee him some amount of durability.
He's lean but ripped. Don't fix what ain't broken.

Last edited:

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Yea, fuck miller. I'm glad people are finally coming around to that. I have been off the miller bandwagon for a while now and people gave me shit for it. He's just not that good. He shows flashes but isn't consistent at all. Glad we finally found a WR who is.

It’s hard to believe that Pace traded UP for that knucklehead!

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Mooney, IMO, makes me want to franchise AROB even more. Next year mooney could be one of the best #2's in the league if he doesn't see doubles a ton. If you get rid of arob he's gonna get doubled up.

How would people feel if we let A.Miller go, sign JuJu to play the slot and do some work on the o-line in the draft but would stay with Trubisky for at least next year to see what he can do with a better o-line and 3 legit WR's in ARob, JuJu and Mooney, C.Kmet at TE and a better running game with Monty and getting Cohen back?

QB--Trubisky
WR1--A.Robinson
WR2--D.Mooney
WR3--JuJu Smith Schuster
TE--C.Kmet
RB1--D.Montgomery
RB/Do it all guy--T.Cohen

That looks pretty damn nice even with Trubisky at QB.......kinda...LOL

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
JuJu seems like a head case waiting to happen, no thanks.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
How would people feel if we let A.Miller go, sign JuJu to play the slot and do some work on the o-line in the draft but would stay with Trubisky for at least next year to see what he can do with a better o-line and 3 legit WR's in ARob, JuJu and Mooney, C.Kmet at TE and a better running game with Monty and getting Cohen back?

QB--Trubisky
WR1--A.Robinson
WR2--D.Mooney
WR3--JuJu Smith Schuster
TE--C.Kmet
RB1--D.Montgomery
RB/Do it all guy--T.Cohen

That looks pretty damn nice even with Trubisky at QB.......kinda...LOL

Where are you getting 15m for 4M, 18m for ARob and 12-14m for JuJu on a team currently 6m over the 2021 cap with 21 players they need to sign to have a full roster?

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Hard not to like Mooney. Bears need to find a way to keep Robinson. If not, then they have some work to do in the draft. Love Mooney's game, but I just don't ever envision him being more than a WR2.
Would you consider Ty Hilton a #1 WR ??

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
hmm.. that's an interesting comp actually. I could see Mooney being similar to TY and yes he would be considered a WR1 for a number of seasons.

Obviously we have limited data to go on for Mooney, but TY had the distinct advantage of Andrew Luck. I would say what separates TY from Mooney at this point is TY's Yard Per Reception for his career is 15.4. Mooney is only at 10.8 this year. TY's Yards per target is 9.0 to Mooney's 6.3. I think Mooney could be capable of those numbers, but QB play is going to be a factor.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
hmm.. that's an interesting comp actually. I could see Mooney being similar to TY and yes he would be considered a WR1 for a number of seasons.

Obviously we have limited data to go on for Mooney, but TY had the distinct advantage of Andrew Luck. I would say what separates TY from Mooney at this point is TY's Yard Per Reception for his career is 15.4. Mooney is only at 10.8 this year. TY's Yards per target is 9.0 to Mooney's 6.3. I think Mooney could be capable of those numbers, but QB play is going to be a factor.
Too many short yard passes and not enough down the field is what's separating them.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Where are you getting 15m for 4M, 18m for ARob and 12-14m for JuJu on a team currently 6m over the 2021 cap with 21 players they need to sign to have a full roster?

Well as i've been saying for months now, we're gonna have to make some tough cuts with a highly paid defensive player or two or trade one. Whatever it takes to create cap space but when a team needs cap space there's many ways to create it which is something i say every single offseason.

So the guys i've been saying that i'd have on my list of guys to cut/trade are:

A.Hicks
E.Jackson
E.Goldman

K.Fuller is also an option but if the choice was mine i'm keeping Kyle.

Then of course J.Graham and B.Skrine are easy cuts.

Then one of ARob or Trubs gets tagged.

It's really not that hard to be able to do what i suggested and could even do more if they wanted to.

Last edited:

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

I've been a huge TY Hilton fan for a long time but he's really taken a step back so for me i wouldn't sign him to replace ARob.

K.Golladay is gonna be a free agent but he's gonna command and get at least what ARob wants and probably more.
C.Godwin--Same as Golladay
JuJu
W.Fuller
S.Watkins
TY Hilton
M.Jones
Josh Reynolds--this guy could be a real nice sleeper that didn't get the targets cause he was stuck behind C.Kupp and R.Woods.

I know some of these guys are injury prone and some aren't on the level with ARob but i'm just throwing names of free agent WR's that i wouldn't mind bringing in for the right price.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Assuming we can sign A-Rob, its going to be a similar WR and TE group next season. Graham may be a tough decision, 10 million to keep him, 3 million to cut him. Miller is coming back next year because he is on a cheap rookie contract.

Ridley was the big disappointment. I expected him to have an actual role this season, and he is looking like a complete bust that can't get on the field.

I still feel pretty set at the WR/TE next season if we can keep A-Rob. Great possession WR and anchor with A-rob, big bodies and hands with Kmet and Graham, dynamic speed and playmaking ability with Mooney and Cohen (don't forget about him), and we will see what we get out of Miller in a contract year debut.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Assuming we can sign A-Rob, its going to be a similar WR and TE group next season. Graham may be a tough decision, 10 million to keep him, 3 million to cut him. Miller is coming back next year because he is on a cheap rookie contract.

Ridley was the big disappointment. I expected him to have an actual role this season, and he is looking like a complete bust that can't get on the field.

I still feel pretty set at the WR/TE next season if we can keep A-Rob. Great possession WR and anchor with A-rob, big bodies and hands with Kmet and Graham, dynamic speed and playmaking ability with Mooney and Cohen (don't forget about him), and we will see what we get out of Miller in a contract year debut.

I'm not saying R.Ridley isn't a complete bust but i am saying that i don't trust in Nagy to know talent with all the mess ups he's had. Look at our o-line with Mustipher and A.Bars and how well they're playing but Nagy kept going with Coward and A.Pierce did a couple nice things at RB Sunday but Nagy kept going with C.Patterson to back Monty up and i can come up with more but i think we all know the dumb shit he's done. Benching Trubs to go with Foles.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
I've been a huge TY Hilton fan for a long time but he's really taken a step back so for me i wouldn't sign him to replace ARob.

K.Golladay is gonna be a free agent but he's gonna command and get at least what ARob wants and probably more.
C.Godwin--Same as Golladay
JuJu
W.Fuller
S.Watkins
TY Hilton
M.Jones
Josh Reynolds--this guy could be a real nice sleeper that didn't get the targets cause he was stuck behind C.Kupp and R.Woods.

I know some of these guys are injury prone and some aren't on the level with ARob but i'm just throwing names of free agent WR's that i wouldn't mind bringing in for the right price.
I wasnt speaking in terms of signing him, but as a player who Mooney can comp as... I wouldn't sign him either and because the same reasoning. I don't know what we're going to do at wr...

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I wasnt speaking in terms of signing him, but as a player who Mooney can comp as... I wouldn't sign him either and because the same reasoning. I don't know what we're going to do at wr...

My bad, i thought you were talking about him replacing ARob.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Well as i've been saying for months now, we're gonna have to make some tough cuts with a highly paid defensive player or two or trade one. Whatever it takes to create cap space but when a team needs cap space there's many ways to create it which is something i say every single offseason.

So the guys i've been saying that i'd have on my list of guys to cut/trade are:

A.Hicks
E.Jackson
E.Goldman

K.Fuller is also an option but if the choice was mine i'm keeping Kyle.

Then of course J.Graham and B.Skrine are easy cuts.

Then one of ARob or Trubs gets tagged.

It's really not that hard to be able to do what i suggested and could even do more if they wanted to.

You clearly haven't researched at all. Eddie Jackson would add 7.1 million to the cap if you cut him and if you traded him then he would save 2 million. Eddie Goldman would add 5.05 million to cut and about 400k to trade. Those are pretty stupid moves to make.

So yes it really is hard to do what you suggest as what you are suggesting would actually increase our cap not decrease it. If you cut/trade/restructure Fuller, Hicks, Graham, Skrine, Massie and Leno, you still don't have enough money right now to sign ARob, Trubs, JuJu and the 25 other players you need to fill out a roster. But don't take my word for it.

Feel free to play with the above which allows you to mock up any combination of moves and let me know how you creating the cap space you need to pull off what you are suggesting.

Just as an example, if you trade, Fuller, Hicks, Goldman, Jackson and cut Graham and Skrine, that only gets you to 28 million in cap space assuming 176 million in cap. You simply cannot sign ARob, Trubs, and Juju plus 23 other players for that amount.

So lets also cut Massie and Leno. That gets you to 45 million. Ok so 4M costs like 24 million on a tag. Let's say ARob 1st year salary is 10 million and Juju's is 8 million. That is 42 million. So you have 3 million left. That is not enough to sign 23 players and now you need a new FS, two new guys on the DL, a new starting CB, new LT, new RT. And you propose to fill all those starting positions and remaining roster spots with 3 million?

The math does not work. We will be lucky if we keep one of 4M and ARob much less trying to keep both plus add Juju.

Last edited: